It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Magicka 2
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:58 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Considering it used to be a big favourite on CKD some many years back, checking if anybody was interested in this.

Just came out, and I've played about an hour of it and my initial thoughts on it are:

- It's more Magicka.

That's about it. It has some new things and a slightly nicer UI but it's basically the same game and could maybe have gotten away being an expansion pack or something. Most of the things that were both good and bad with Magicka are intact here.

But hey, that doesn't change the fact that Magicka is hilarious with friends.

So who has/is gonna have it!? Need to get some 4 player action going on.

Post subject: Re: Magicka 2
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:13 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

For someone who is new to the series would you say it's worth buying full price? I added it to my wishlist a couple of weeks ago but it's been getting mixed reviews which is putting me off.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:49 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

I bought it already, so let me know and I'll come kill you

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:05 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Soulguy wrote:
For someone who is new to the series would you say it's worth buying full price? I added it to my wishlist a couple of weeks ago but it's been getting mixed reviews which is putting me off.

From the "user" reviews I've seen, most people just seem overly annoyed that they dared to change or remove some of the really complicated but stupidly overpowered spell combinations. The number of people that are furious that the game is completely destroyed because combining Fire and Water or Water and Cold no longer creates a Steam or Ice element, that shields no longer make you invincible, that they dared change which mouse button AoE casting is on, and that mouse movement works more like Diablo now, is crazy.

As for actual site reviews, most of them just slight the game for being mostly the same as Magicka 1. Lots of people see this as a bad thing mainly because it could really have just been released as a big DLC/expansion for Magicka 1 (which is something they did years ago).

Of course, the real reason for this is because they re-made the game from the ground up. The original Magicka was made with C#/XNA and was extremely prone to crashing and terrible netcode problems. So much so that in a patch they later added a spell called "Crash to Desktop" that would pick a monster at random (including a player or even the caster) and just instantly kill them with a little "blue screen" effect. Was funny. What? You think a spell that just instantly kills a monster is overpowered? That's one of the weaker spells!

More Magicka is not a bad thing though. It's absolutely hilarious with friends, but can get a little boring (and quite difficult) solo. So that is something you should consider. Play it with friends or you're missing out on the real experience.

Friendly fire is enabled, always. Put four of these completely overpowered wizards in one room and watch as people are constantly accidentally killing each other and flinging them across the room. "Crossing the streams" with opposite elements is a quick way to blow up some wizards by accident. Some guy charges a death beam just as another guy puts up a reflective shield and it bounces back and kills an unsuspecting third guy. Someone inputs a healing combination but oops that was the wrong button and now they're just exploding mines and everybody goes flying.

Reviving someone is quick and effortless (the revive spell is "W, A, Space" and can be cast anywhere at any time) so death is always a very minor setback as long as you don't all die at once. So everybody has a jolly old good time with all the accidental PKing instead of getting frustrated.

If you play solo though, you'll find yourself mostly running away (nobody else for monsters to chase so it's always you), trying to find a brief opening to attack, and that can get very frustrating.

Is Magicka 2 worth "full price"? Well, it's pretty cheap as it is. And it sounds like maybe a patch or two could help it (few people having performance issues). I've heard a few people say it's shorter too but I've not beaten it yet so I wouldn't know. If you've never played the first Magicka though, you'll never even notice all the things people complain about.

I would personally balance your purchase decision on whether you have some people to play it with. It makes a big difference.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion