It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft

Post subject: Play WoW with a XBox 360 Controller
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:12 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

:shock:

http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_switchblade/

My thoughts is this is crap but I figured I'd post it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:41 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

I wish I had a wired 360 controller to try this out. Having to use the keyboard is 90% of the reason why I'm not playing WoW right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:42 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

goDeejay wrote:
I wish I had a wired 360 controller to try this out. Having to use the keyboard is 90% of the reason why I'm not playing WoW right now.

You'd have to type anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:49 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

There are far too many commands on WoW to fit on a controller. On my shaman i need access to like 30 buttons at all times. The entire left side of my keyboard is mapped out. Having to swap lines and remember where everything is would piss me off after awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:51 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Yeah but I can't get into a game when i'm hunched over a chair with my left hand fondling my keyboard and my right hand having to stay shrugged over a mouse. It's just not comfortable enough for me to do 2-3 hours at a time.

Sitting leaned back with a controller/keyboard draped over my lap is way more appealing than breaking my neck hovering over the screen; keyboard and mouse in hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:53 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

then to type you'd have to set the controller down and then type and then pick it back up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:54 pm 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

i used a 360 controller for FFXI on my pc... it was real hassle, but i never fucked up a macro again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:58 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Ponuh wrote:
then to type you'd have to set the controller down and then type and then pick it back up

I'd rather deal with that minor inconvenience (if you can even call it one) to be allowed to sit back with my feet up in comfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:45 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

goDeejay wrote:
Ponuh wrote:

I'd rather deal with that minor inconvenience (if you can even call it one) to be allowed to sit back with my feet up in comfort.

You usually have to type every 30 seconds max, so you won't get to kick your feet up often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:00 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Ponuh wrote:
goDeejay wrote:
Ponuh wrote:

You usually have to type every 30 seconds max, so you won't get to kick your feet up often.

Huh? It's not hard to put the keyboard on your lap while holding the controller.

This guy is doing it stupid but imagine having a USB keyboard on your lap right under your hands. Whenever you want to type just let go of the controller and let it hang between your legs and type away. Rinse/repeat and voila, instant MMORPG gaming with maximum comfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:09 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

...why don't you just use the USB keyboard and a mouse on a pedestal next to you or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:10 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

its the same thing, just another medium.

FFXI - Yurichan: 75THF(Ret) / SC2 - Lawncare / XBOX - Zombie Sharks / PS3 - Zombie_Sharks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:52 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

i thought the WoW/FFXI + Wiimote was cooler :(

FFXI Blog
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:21 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Also, how would you feasibly target or use any skills? WoW requires way more coordination and input than FFXI, which could be done half asleep much of the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:10 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

i think its more for people who play using solely macro sets..

i dont really like using macro sets myself.. i feel i lose control using macros ;o

FFXI - Yurichan: 75THF(Ret) / SC2 - Lawncare / XBOX - Zombie Sharks / PS3 - Zombie_Sharks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:45 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Thats crazy, Id hate to use a controller for an MMO, I never understood the fun of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:54 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

its definatly alot easier on the wrists than a keyboard and mouse combo.. i work on computers all day and i feel it in my wrist after a while.. i have to use bracers on my wrist.. it sucks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:42 pm 
Iron Chef

Yarr wrote:
Thats crazy, Id hate to use a controller for an MMO, I never understood the fun of it.

I used a controller to play, keyboard only for chat for PS2, it really worked out nice. I've allways been a console gamer though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:30 am 
Tough!
Tough!

Ponuh wrote:
Also, how would you feasibly target or use any skills? WoW requires way more coordination and input than FFXI, which could be done half asleep much of the time

Since when was targeting characters in any RPG hard? Even if it required some sort of skill, since when have you heard anyone say Taru's have an advantage in PvP? Or complain that you can't see them to cast a cure? Controllers work just fine when targeting other avatars.

I agree with being a little more input but a Rogue barely uses 1 action bar. And on the flip i've seen BLM's with 4 different sets of macro's that they use quite often.

To me, videogames are meant to be played relaxed, and i'm most relaxed with a controller in my lap leaned back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:04 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I always played FFXI with a controller. On PC, PS2, and 360. I only used a keyboard for chat. It sat in my lap and I loved it that way.

I had no problems targeting shit with a controller. I don't understand how it would be any harder in WoW than it is in FFXI.

I used 3 different Macro sets as 75BLM and as 75RDM, never had trouble staying on top of shit with a controller. As 75PLD I only used 1 macro set haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:28 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

goDeejay wrote:
Ponuh wrote:

Since when was targeting characters in any RPG hard? Even if it required some sort of skill, since when have you heard anyone say Taru's have an advantage in PvP? Or complain that you can't see them to cast a cure? Controllers work just fine when targeting other avatars.

I agree with being a little more input but a Rogue barely uses 1 action bar. And on the flip i've seen BLM's with 4 different sets of macro's that they use quite often.

To me, videogames are meant to be played relaxed, and i'm most relaxed with a controller in my lap leaned back.

Have you ever played WoW?

let me rephrase that--have you ever played it above the "walking through the forest killing cats" stage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Ponuh wrote:
Have you ever played WoW?

let me rephrase that--have you ever played it above the "walking through the forest killing cats" stage?

I've gotten a warrior, rogue, and 2 paladin's to mid 30's. Your point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:51 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

ponuh, you act like WoW is this intricate system where it takes skill and coordination to play this game effectively. any stoned halfdrunk retard can play WoW.

plus, whats to say he cant have all his buttons on his control keybinded to do everything he needs to do.. wait, you can macro these too!
its really not all that complicated, its just another method instead of using a keyboard/mouse..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:55 pm 
Iron Chef

Kluya wrote:
I used 3 different Macro sets as 75BLM and as 75RDM, never had trouble staying on top of shit with a controller.

PS2 has an annoying lag when changing macro palettes. Is this the same on 360?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Tab-targeting is worthless is wow. The camera also requires FAR faster rotation, and the interface would have to be simplified extensively just to make it viewable from afar. It would probably work for grinding on easy things in one area or farming, but trying to PvP would get you killed so incredibly fast. Same goes for instancing.

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft