It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft

Post subject: Spork’s WoW Beta Journal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:06 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Rein will probably delete this thread, but oh well.. I want my own thread where I can post thoughts, screen shots, and answer questions about my beta experience thus far.

I’m tired as hell, been up playing all night.. so just gonna post random thoughts / first impressions.

- Wanted to make a Gnome Rogue named Spork.. but some asshat took my name already. All my other normal backup names taken also. Ended up making female gnome rogue naming after a friend of mine ;)

- Graphics are amazing.. Screen shots and videos really don’t do the game justice. 1440x900 supported.. that’s the default res for my laptop. Didn’t need to hack any registry entries (All Right!)

- Newbie experience was painless. After making char, logged in right next to a NPC who gave me my first quest.

- Lots and lots of quests. Seemed like 60% of my exp came from quests, 40% from killing.

- Fights are fast, and I had like ZERO downtime from L1 to L10. Even if I’m almost dead at end of fight, by time I loot the monster and find my next target I’m full health again. Don’t need to stand still or sit down, regen HP/MP while running around.. and it’s fast.

- Mobs dropped lots of armor/weapons that I could use right away.. Also got a lot of equipment from quest rewards. I think I only bought one item, a dagger at like L8. Sure beats selling earth crystals at AH and trying to get enough money to buy armor.

- You can run away from monsters that are chasing you … AND SURVIVE! They don’t chase all the way across the zone and hit you from 100 feet away like in FFXI… they give up after a little bit.

- I never zoned.. one huge seamless world.

- Death is painless. You die, you just run back to body as a ghost and come back to life. No exp loss.

- I never had to say, “where do I hunt next?”. Every time an area started to get too easy, I was given a quest that took me to a different area where monsters where good exp again.

- I didn’t find the NPC’s to teach me the trade skills I wanted, but I did find a NPC that taught me First Aid. First Aid lets you make and use bandages to heal. Very little down time as it was, but slap a bandage on and I was good to go in seconds. A lot of monsters dropped pieces of cloth, you can use cloth to make bandages.. this is where I sorta got a taste of the trade skill system. I had like 15 pieces of cloth at one point, Instead of having to create 15 bandages one at a time, it had a batch production system.. I just set the amount to 15, hit the craft button, and my character sat there and made a bandage 15 times without me clicking anything.. I just watched :)

That’s all for now, I’m falling asleep. Here are a few screenshots. I didn’t take many, was too engrossed in the game and forgot. Lol

Me fighting early on.

At the end of the evening, L10 brought me to Ironforge. Here is the main entrance. My first major city.

First thing I did when I got to Ironforge was find the AH. Tried to find a new weapon, but I was too poor irl

Here is me at AH.. one last screen shot of character before logging off for the night.

Yeah ok, so the SS's where not that exciting, I'll try to do better next time :)

Man this game is going to be addicting. If you plan on playing, better take like 2 months off of work starting Nov 16.. you're not gonna want to stop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:11 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

So would you say that it plays more like a first person than the traditional MMORPG? Is there more button pushing during a fight than say ffxi? Do you plan on grouping or have done so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:14 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

man those characters are ugly,

good journal though spork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:27 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Taeuvyn wrote:
So would you say that it plays more like a first person than the traditional MMORPG? Is there more button pushing during a fight than say ffxi? Do you plan on grouping or have done so?

Well this was my first night, and i've only played rogue, but yeah, alot more button pushing.. You can't just turn on auto-attack and go make a sandwich, you will die. lol

With Rogue the whole fight you are doing non-stop special attacks/abilities, building combo points, etc.

At the end of the night I was getting good at it. My typical fights (Even match mobs or 1 lvl higher) lasted about 30-40 seconds, combat is fast paced, looked like this.

1) Run up and Backstab mob.
2) Gouge (special move that stuns mob)
3) Run around behind while mob stunned and Backstab again.
4) Sinister Strike
5) Gouge
6) Backstab
7) Sinister Strike
8) Eviscerate (Combo point finishing move)

As for grouping, didn't try it. After a year of forced grouping to level in FFXI, I was enjoying solo play. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:40 am 
Tough!
Tough!

I'm Jealous now :P i wanna play pass around the info ;) jk i can wait for the open beta they are due to add a ton for it

EDIT: Question with auctions how long is very long? any idea? would help if it was in game days/hrs cause you could make a bid and not get it for ages then you hit 4more lvls up and need something else :?

Last edited by Regnar on Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:52 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Ahh good ole circle for rogues. Interesting. Thanks for posting your findings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:52 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™

I want to play so bad. Haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:08 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

omg I want this game...NOW :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:59 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

You guys see on the Ironforge SS where it says:

Quote:
"Discovered Ironforge, 45 exp points gained."

That is tight. A definite upgrade from the FF style of exp where you only learn through killing stuff. I'm excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:05 pm 
Too Elite
Too Elite

you got beat and just started playing? im confused

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:03 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

How'd you get the beta, Spork? Were you a stress test winner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:19 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Spork you can learn all the things in Ironforge, and Cooking and First Aid in the small town outside(I think skinning too?)

There was a small XP block for my at Ironforge...no path pointing so I just road the Griffin to the other town and did Human quests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:16 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

Let's see some more screenies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:51 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Seriously, how did Spork get the beta so early??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:04 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Sorry, no screen shots :( I always forget.

I'm L22 now. Damn this game is fun. Did my first instance tonight. It was late, not many people on so we had a messed up group. Rogue (me), Mage, Warlock, Rogue, and Ranger. No tank, no heals.. was a mess but damn fun.

We made it past the first 4 mini-bosses.. But the mini-boss right before the main boss just owned us. We all pretty much agreed there was no way to win without healing or tankage. Sucks too, cause one of the rewards was a blue text +11 AGI body armor.. uber Rogue loot :)

Time for more of Sporks strung out random thoughts/tips.

- I really dont think lvling is that fast. I've played 4 nights now (10 hrs a night) and only L22. Then again i'm not hardcore powerlvling. I'm doing quests, tradeskills, making money, playing the AH, exploring, etc.

- Install Cosmos UI when you get the game. owns so much.

- http://www.thottbot.com/ will be your best friend.

- When you're chatting with people. If you type lol, haha, hehe, you're character will automaticly do a laugh emote with sound. Little touches like this make me love the game. End a sentance with a "?" your character will do an emote sorta like the tarutaru /huh in FFXI. lol

- Cities like Ironforge, Stormwind are fucking huge. But here is a tip, talk to any gate guard and a menu will pop-up.. you can ask him for directions to pretty much anything you want.. AH, trainers, shops.. he'll put a marker on your map so you can easily find what you're looking for. Wish I figured this out sooner. lol

- Find your trainers and start your tradeskills EARILY. Soon as you can. I'm at the lvl now where i realize how important food is.. yet I never took up cooking. Now to lvl it I need to go back to newbie areas and farm lower lvl mobs for lower lvl recipes.

- Someone asked about the AH.. time left saying "very long, long, medium, short, etc" .. this is because in WoW it's a real auction hall, you can bid, buyout etc.. it doesn't tell you the exact time the auction will end so people wont snipe..(wait till last second then bid 1 copper higher)

- Flying on Griffins is the coolest form of transportation i've ever seen in an online game. you'll love it.

- Grouping is fun in WoW because people don't group up to just sit there and grind lvls all night.. you can lvl solo.. groups are for quests / instances. You form up.. go blast your way though a dungeon, etc.. and then the group ends .. everyone has fun, everyone gets a reward.

- omg you can alt-tab!

- when you're dead, your ghost can walk on water. Makes me feel like jesus irl.

That's all for now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:15 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

omg... ur a midget!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:24 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Is there a party amount requirement for instances?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:08 pm 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

WoW sounds soo good Spork i really need to try this game out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:50 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Can I been an elvaan whm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:11 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

What is that Cosmos UI dealy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:55 pm 

Quote:
Can I been an elvaan whm

You can be my lover on the side. 2U is going to be my husband, since I'll be a totally hot chick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:51 am 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Rein, are you and 2U going Alliance or Horde?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:22 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Yes Yarr you can be Night Elf priest. The only allied race that can't be priest is the midget :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:30 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Good to know someone agrees with me about the Griffin being the greatest transportation evar!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:04 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

My rogue is L22 and I decided that was the class I would play in retail.. so no point in lvling it up anymore just to get wiped. So tonight I made a Gnome Warlock.

Now I think I might be a Warlock in retail, I had a ton of fun tonight. Rogue was great, dont get me wrong, but Warlock just seems to have more things to do. As a rogue, fights where normaly just spaming one skill over and over. =/

L7 to L10 Warlock was a bitch though. The imp pet can't tank, and it was getting really hard to tank the mobs as a mage in cloth armor, lol.

Once I hit L10 I did the Voidwalker summon quest and omg, it was night and day.. the Warlock class starts at L10 irl.

Voidwalker is this huge meatshield pet. All it really does is hit the mob for wussy dmg and use provoke.. but it tanks great, letting me slap on like 3 different DoT spells and blast away with my wand (0mp nukes for teh win). I was tearing though even match+ mobs with no downtime.

sigh. good thing you lvl fast in this game, cause there are so many classes I want to play. :P

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft