It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:03 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft

Post subject: Question thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:45 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Lol. I didn't know there was such a WoW interest in CKD.

Anyhow, I've been in WoW since Alpha and I've played thru most of it.

First thing I notice is this...

PvP or PvE server?

For most people, I recommend PvE servers. What happens on PvP servers is that as you get into your low 20's you constantly get ganked by people 10-15 levels higher than you while you are trying to quest. In the noob areas of the PvP servers, you cannot be attacked. In the contested zones, you are fair game at all times, and there are a lot of immature brats that will kill you and camp your corpse. Congratulations! You've killed me in 1 shot with a pyroblast. Bet that was challenging!! LOSER.

PvE servers, you can opt in or out of PvP as you like using /pvp. You are automatically flagged PvP if you attack opposing NPCs. There are also battlegrounds and raids on PvE. Basically, you can do all the PvP, but you cannot have it forced upon you. However, you cannot force it on anyone else either, and sometime you really wanna be able to do that, lol.

Anyhow. Post any questions you have about the game, and I'll answer. Been playing this for about a year now. Great game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:57 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™
The Original Dark Knight™

I haven't really had any trouble yet. I was over in some mines north east of Ironforge, and a undead mage and orc hunter were there.. It was funny to have my hunter's pet rape the mage while I tore the orc a new one.

Post subject: Re: Question thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:04 pm 
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)

Imanimd wrote:
For most people, I recommend PvE servers. What happens on PvP servers is that as you get into your low 20's you constantly get ganked by people 10-15 levels higher than you while you are trying to quest. In the noob areas of the PvP servers, you cannot be attacked. In the contested zones, you are fair game at all times, and there are a lot of immature brats that will kill you and camp your corpse. Congratulations! You've killed me in 1 shot with a pyroblast. Bet that was challenging!! LOSER.

PvE servers, you can opt in or out of PvP as you like using /pvp. You are automatically flagged PvP if you attack opposing NPCs. There are also battlegrounds and raids on PvE. Basically, you can do all the PvP, but you cannot have it forced upon you. However, you cannot force it on anyone else either, and sometime you really wanna be able to do that, lol.

Hmmm... i REALLY want to go on a PvE server now.....

This is exactly what i wanted to avoid on PvP servers. I thought the PvP servers would let you be safe if u didnt use "/pvp" but apparently thats the PvE servers.

And you prob. didn't run into high enough heroes yet rein :P I'm sure once the dicks out there get high enough, they will do exactly what imanimd said they'd do....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:09 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Couple things to keep in mind.

One is that most of the servers are a week old. If you were on the Pacific Beta PvP server, there would be a bunch of level 60's running around killing level 20-25's. Right now, most of the players are only maybe level 30 at most.

Ironforge is an Alliance zone, so you are not attackable. Alliance side is much better developed, so you don't get harassed as much. Horde side, everyone pretty much goes thru Hillsbrad and that is a ganking area nightmare.

As players get higher level and the server more developed, even the contested zones near Ironforge will have ganking. This is just something you'll have to deal with if you play on PvP servers. Maybe you can level super fast with your first character, but, after that, if you want to play around with another class, you have to deal with the ganking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:15 pm 
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)

I think that's all I needed to hear... thanks for the warning Imanimd :)

I can't stand PvP for that exact reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:16 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Peejo wrote:
I didn't know you can't even communicate in game if you play on different sides (horde vs. alliance) even on PVE server until like last week.

You can commincate with them by learning languages.

You cannot send /tells to a member of the opposing faction. Basically, you can't talk to them at all unless you're standing next to them. Guilds cannot be mixed faction.

Also, they keep waffling whether you'll be able to make a 2 character, one alliance, one horde on the same server. Looks like this may not be allowed on the PvP servers, but ok on the PvE servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:17 pm 
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)

Please spread more of your PvE propaganda Imanimd....

It sounds like that choice is the more important one to make... and I'm liking PvE servers since the PvP option is still there to those that want it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:20 pm 
Yummy Love
Yummy Love

:|

Last edited by Yummy on Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:50 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Regnar wrote:
on the leveling side i read one person shared his account with 3 people, they stayed logged in 24hrs a day leveling, they hit the cap of 60 in just 10 days!! of course they had crap equip by this time. Now if you think about it thats 240 hours of play time now most people will play for lets say 5 hrs a day so 240/5 is 48 days which means once you add in farming for new weapons and time for doing quests and time for doing tradeskills you will probably double this time and then some so thats at least 3 months playing 5hrs a day now most people play say 5 days a week so at the end i think it will be more like 6months for people to get well-rounded characters in the game, by which time id hope they add some fun team events like a ffa alliance vs horde map where all you do is kill each other also the general PvP concept sounds like you could spend months just playing in the arena once you are 'well-rounded'.

Ahhhh... this brings up the truly evil anti power llama "rest" state. If you are "rested", you get 200% xp for kills. "normal" you get 100% and "tired" you get 50%. In other words, it gets really hard to grind thru levels. You have to quest or you go nowhere fast. Your rest state improves as you sit in town, and gets worse as you fight. I hate the rest state because I tend to be a power llama, lol. I think it will take your average person who plays maybe 3-4 hours a day every day a good 3 or 4 months to hit the level cap.

Also, the tradeskills aren't really a grind it out kinda thing. Much of them require quests and drops. The crafting grind isn't nearly as painful as FFXI in that when you make the stuff you are supposed to make, you skill up regularly. Mostly, I do tradeskills when my character needs rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:09 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I was arguing with someone a while back as I tried to explain to someone that the 200% "bonus" EXP for rest state is just a twisted rewording of the feature to make it sound like a good thing.

No matter how they word it, there's no such thing as 200%. You get 100% while rested, and 50% when not rested, simple as. :P

They were like "No, how you're saying it is how it used to be! They changed it so now you get a bonus for being rested rather than a penalty for being tired."

Er... Yeah... :? It's still the same thing, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:12 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

That's exactly what I've been trying to avoid getting on a pvp server. I am sure there will always be a some punk kids do that kind of stuff to others. I have yet to make final decision on what type of the server to play on, but I am leaning more toward pve since the beginning.

Actually you do get 200% xp when rested (for a long time, at least it did for me when I was doing stress). In stead of getting 90xp from a mob that I was killing. After rested, I was getting 180 xp. It only last for a bit though or until you die, I am not sure on that part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:20 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Yeah, you get double exp. But that still means "normal" exp is half of what you would be getting if you played the game very slowly and only ever exped in a rested state. It works out good for people who can only play very casually, but it does hinder the hardcore people (even if only a little).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:24 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I was sick often when we were playing stress test so I didn't really get the hardcore action going to notice how you only get partial xp when tired. Anyone notice how long it takes for the effect to kicks in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:25 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I think what Ket's getting at is that if you scale it back, you have 100% normal, 50% tired, 25% very tired.

This is 100% accurate. Before they introduced the rested state, I leveled at about the same pace as I do at the 200% "bonus" state. In fact, when they introduced the rested state, they doubled the xp required for each level and ramped up the quest bonus. Rest state is a penalty for powergamers, pure and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:29 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Peejo wrote:
I was sick often when we were playing stress test so I didn't really get the hardcore action going to notice how you only get partial xp when tired. Anyone notice how long it takes for the effect to kicks in?

If you create a new character and play for 8 hours a day, you'll become "normal" about level 10, and never be "rested" again.

If you play for 4 hours a day, every day, you'll spend maybe 1/2 the time rested and 1/2 the time normal.

If you play for 2 hours a day, most of the time you'll be rested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:31 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

To be honest, I've never seen "tired" even when i played for most of the day once, I kinda think it was taken out some time ago.

The Rested state doesn't work by time, it works by total exp gained from monster killing. However, it is "charged" by pending time in a Rest area (city/inn)

After spending about 1 minute in town you become "rested", and a little "blip" will appear on your exp bar near where it currently is. As you hang around (or log off) in Rest state, or as you do quests, this "blip" will slowly move along the bar.

When you head outside to kill things, you will now be getting double exp from kills. You will stop getting double exp (return to normal) once your exp bar overtakes the blip again. The blip is a "You will gain double exp, until you have this much" indicator.

The longer you spend in town, logged out, or doing quests (those that don't involve going out to kill things) the further along the blip will be. For the record, after leaving the game logged out in town for about 12 hours, the blip had moved about 2 "bars" along the bottom. If this scales for higher level experience accordingly, then I guess it's not too bad.

This is what I noticed personaly anyway, the "guide" on the main site was making a right cockup of explaining how it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:47 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Heh, now let me go ahead and say that I intend to have 3 characters...
- PvE Alliance
- PvE Horde
- PvP (not sure which side)

PvP server definitely has its positives. There is a certain danger and edge that make the game more exciting on the PvP servers. If you wanna be a part of a kick butt guild that really is the dominant guild of the server, PvP server is the place to do that. Also, on the PvP server, when you go solo, you put your life on the line. PvP server, you really need to be grouping much more often. In a way, it forces you to be more outgoing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:02 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

I vote for the PvE server, but I will probbaly go where everyone else goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:09 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I'll most likely play on PvE (a very good friend of mine from EQ is going to be on PvE) unless somehow Kailyn decides that he wants to play PvP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:17 pm 
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)

convince Rein to join you Peej, and then I won't be split!!

I'd much rather go PvE also, but I also would like ot stick with some players~, even u and kail :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:19 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

I too want PvE...I was near Wesfall (in some contested zone) and 3 level 15 Horders (I was 10) attack me! I'm a resourceful gnome, so I run to that farmer and train it on em. Right before I die I scream "HAHA CHARADE YOU ARE!"

We should be a horde guild, for serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:21 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

You can quest in Westfall until about 18-20. Westfall is an Alliance zone and you can do your thing unmolested there. After that, you have a lot of choices where to go quest, but, they are all contested zones and you will be subject to player attack at all times.

Three on 1 and/or a 5 level difference kinda sucks, but, it is really just the tip of the iceberg. When there is a 15 level difference, you are instantly dead and there isn't much you can do about it... especially if they are a mage. A full party of level 25's can't do a thing to a level 40. If that level 40 decides to hang out where you need to be to quest, you're just outta luck. May as well leave the area and find something useful to do.

I guess that style of play is appealing to some people. Heh, I enjoy it from time to time myself. Just don't wanna be doing it all the time. I guess the main thing here is that I think most people who want the PvP server don't realize how much PvP you can do on the PvE servers. There are raids and such going on all the time.

I understand why a lot of you want to play on the PvP servers. I was thinking the same thing myself at one point. You just gotta trust me on this one. You just are not going to get the full feel of the PvP servers in two weeks time. PvP servers are PK servers. PvE servers are limited PvP servers. There are no pure PvE servers like what you see in FFXI.

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft