It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft

Post subject: PvP, Whats the point?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:24 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

So everyone says the PvP is fun, Im sure it is. Atleast at first.

My question is, whats the long term pull into PvP? Is there a PvP Point system? Do I get new abilities with more PvP points? Can I get Loot or Money from PvP?

As far as I can tell PvP is just a free for all with no real purpose behind it. Atleast no function other than filling in the backstory (whats warcraft if orcs arnt fighting humans).

oh and are there fun auto translation phrases?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:27 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

PvP for you

It has some nice parts, you can get reward, get rank blah blah blah. But I think at the end, I'll stick with PvE since there's really a lot PvP you can do on a PvE server and you won't have PvP force on you if you don't wish to participate.

PS: That page is down atm :( But when it works, it explains PvP very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:38 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Heres my prediction and you can laught at me when im wrong in a few months or you can all feel stupid when im right :wink:

-My opinion only-

PvP focused games have a large user group that will get very upset if they are not the ones leading PvP. One job will find a way to explote a specific move or spell (not that its a hack or anything, just a very creative way to use it, so creative that it becomes unfair) so much so that it becomes the "flavor of the month" and tons of people will start using that job. The move\spell will get "reworked" and all those people who leveled up X job or already had X job are going to get super pissy.

Atleast thats what DAoC was like. Its just a giant loop.

My worry is that PvP would do that to this game. Its why Im happy PvP is so controlled in FFXI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:47 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Yarr wrote:
Heres my prediction and you can laught at me when im wrong in a few months or you can all feel stupid when im right :wink:

-My opinion only-

PvP focused games have a large user group that will get very upset if they are not the ones leading PvP. One job will find a way to explote a specific move or spell (not that its a hack or anything, just a very creative way to use it, so creative that it becomes unfair) so much so that it becomes the "flavor of the month" and tons of people will start using that job. The move\spell will get "reworked" and all those people who leveled up X job or already had X job are going to get super pissy.

Atleast thats what DAoC was like. Its just a giant loop.

My worry is that PvP would do that to this game. Its why Im happy PvP is so controlled in FFXI.

I agree with this completely. But, it's still fun, even when your build is the one getting hit with the nerf stick.

Again, I'm not gonna pretend like I'm going to still be playing WoW a year from now. I've already been playing it as a side game for close to a year. I'm excited as heck that it's finally going live. I'm even more excited to see people carry their ties into a new game, because that's cool as heck.

A year from now, maybe the Lord of the Rings mmorpg will be out. Maybe I'll see some of you there. I'll almost definitely be playing that with my old Diablo2 friends.

Final Fantasy hasn't really completely lost it's appeal for me just yet. I'd probably be happier if WoW was going live in a couple month rather than a couple weeks. But, I do want to be in WoW from day 1, and it's nice for me to leave FFXI feeling good about the game, rather than wait for the day that I'm bored senseless and can't take it any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:50 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

Yeah all of the anti-PvP propaganda on this board lately has convinced me to go PvE. The only part of PvP that interests me is the raid stuff, and IIRC that's included on the PvE servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:55 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

The prediction you mentioned isn't only applies to PvP games. It's to most of the online games basically.

I've seen it several times in EQ and I played on a PvE server. My class got nerfed bad (druid lol) at the end, but that's what the game makers will have to do. Sometimes it's good, but often it just makes the game gets worse and worse. That's why new games come out and cycle goes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:01 pm 
Master Deba-tor
Master Deba-tor

I wonder if they will ever add Hardcore to WoW like the did in Diablo 2. I'm a big fan of that concept. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:15 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

Yeah hardcore mode is a cool concept, although I never had the balls to try it in Diablo 2. That would probably add another dimension to endgame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:01 pm 
Too Elite
Too Elite

for this game.. it loses much of its appeal to me without pvp.. lotsa the things people that are anti-pvp are not even a problem.(i.e. corpse camping) I went on a raid the other day, and that alone was more fun to me then 70% of ffxi. The other thing that lots of yall say is "immature kid will make my livfe miserable, blah blah. I dun see this as a problem either. You cant even speak to the enemy. It's easy as hell to just avoid fights. If someone runs, theres really nothing you can do about it unless they're a rogue. I think all these issues are menial and will not be a problem at all.

the only issue that i think is real, is waht yarr said. One class getting a ability to exploit and such. So far, its been pretty balanced in my pvp experience.

the main pull of pvp for me is, the games depth take a huge hit. It pretty much obliterates the end game, and alot of the fun gameplay. I think in the coming months after retail, blizzard will add alot of points to pvp. Theyve hinted at that. B/c for now its just a really fun thing to do.

i understand what alotta you people are trying to say tho.. so thats why really you can have two chars like me and din plan to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:09 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

For example, if you play a warrior and I play a mage on opposite sides. I see you, I don't like you so I start nuking the shit out of you. Is there anything you can do to avoid it other than grab more friends so you can kill me the next time? But you know what? I'd already killed you this time since mage = nukes, you can run but you can't run fast enough to get out of the range. I killed you, I /spit /laugh, etc use whatever emotes are out there. I don't need to be able to talk to you to give you shit. I can do it just because the option is out there. Are you telling me there won't be bunch immature kids out there try to do the same crap I just discribed?

I'll play PvP for these 2 weeks open beta, but I've made my decision that I will play on PvE server when retail comes out just to avoid what I just made up in the previous paragraph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:20 pm 
Too Elite
Too Elite

i sorda understand what your saying. I just think the fun that pvp outweighs the bad, and alotta the annoying parts of pvp might be fixed by the honor system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:22 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Peejo wrote:
The prediction you mentioned isn't only applies to PvP games. It's to most of the online games basically.

I wouldnt say it applies to all MMORPGs. FFIX hasnt had a real "nerf" in the normal sense of the word. We had a TP nerf in the one year ive been playing. The reason FFXI doesnt see many "nerfs" is because its more group oriented. Each person is just a "part" in a group. A solo player can do a little, but they can just rape stuff on their own like some Jobs can in other MMORPGs.

From what I can tell in WoW grouping is optional. This is where I see the flaw.

PvP server or not, this will affect EVERYONE. You cant nerf PLDs on a pvp server and not nerf them on the PvE server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:27 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Darksoul wrote:
i sorda understand what your saying. I just think the fun that pvp outweighs the bad, and alotta the annoying parts of pvp might be fixed by the honor system.

There is no honor system in pvp. Trust me, I was part of a serious Gank Guild on Pellinor (DAOC). In a game where you dont need people like you do in FFXI, people are going to be assholes. I mean, who needs to be nice when you can just solo your way to max level in a matter of weeks.

Trust me, I had a blast in DAoC running around smoking groups of 50-70 people with our little group of 8 people. What was more fun was watching them get mad when they realized they were outskilled so they would just come back with more. Taunting a person you just smoked is more fun than id like to admit, dying and getting taunted is enough to make a normal player quit. (personally i never cared, I can take a good laugh at getting my ass handed to me).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:40 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Actually there's honor system that they are working on right now. How will that really work in long run I dont know.

That stupid link I have to WoW site needs to come back up because it explains how the PvP will be in WoW very well.

Basically the ideas that they have is you kill someone lower level than you, you'll get dishonor points. When you get too many of those points your own race will disown you. You won't be able to buy anything etc. Your armor will run out of durability and you won't be able to repair it. It basically means your armor provides no benefit to you at that point. You can also earn honor points by killing people are same/higher level than you. Supposedly there's some kind of reward to people with high honor. You'll get discount on goods, mounts, etc. Note, this isn't final yet and this is what Blizzard is trying to impliment to.

One flaw I see in this is, the real PvP starts when everyone reaches max level. At that point, no one will lose honor by killing anyone since we'll all be the same level. Then go back to my other post, basically it goes back to your class. Some class can just be assholes and kill everyone else or vise versa. There's a reason there are seperate servers. I don't want to force anyone to come play on the same server as me. It's a game, everyone should be allowed to play however the way they please. PvP lovers can go on to PvP server and us who don't want to deal with punk kids attitude will go on to PvE server and never touch PvP part of it if we don't wish to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:51 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I dont see why you talk down so much on those who PVP, i mean shit if you dont want to deal with it dont play on a pvp server. People who are into pvp are just as into pvp as you are in exploreing or whatever it is you wanna do that doesnt involve PK. I dont go around saying, haha those queers on the carebear servers to scared to come pk. I show equal respect for all aspects of the game, be as it exploreing and lvling or pvping for your nation. Im far from being a kid, and do understand maybe you have had bad griefing experiences with pvp in previous games, maybe thats why you look down on it so much.

Anyway, the honor system will be implemented as in, a lvl 30 killing a group of 15's will actually lose pk points and faction with their towns. After you have ganked so much iv heard rumors that you will be open PK for anyone even your own race because of your extreme dishonor to the nation. This will do away with ppl who like to go to lowbie areas and camp them for kicks.......those punk kids you spoke of Peejo.

"One of a kind" Items will be available evenually if you have high enough PvP rank and points, this is what im mainly looking forward to.

Other then that im still just trying to gether all the facts about how the pvp will work,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:58 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

At the end of two weeks, you'll all probably be perfectly happy with the PvP server. In fact, I doubt you'll see much difference at all from the PvE servers. You may or may not make it to the quests in the contested zones, but if you do, there won't be a dozen level 50's running around ganking you. You'll at least have a chance against most of the opposing faction that you see.

Darksoul, you cannot avoid being PK'd. I'm not stupid. I'm very, very good at these kinds of games. I had no chance against a level 50 mages, I was dead in 1 pyroblast. Maybe the honor system will cause this to not be so rampant, but, I suspect that they will just find ways to circumvent the system.

What I really don't understand is what with the problem with the PvE servers. PvP goes on in those servers all the time. There are constantly raids. Most of the raids are countered at some point. There lone wolf types who run around killing quest NPCs on the PvE servers. Those guys get flagged PvP automatically and get killed by other players. You can go do a raid on Booty Bay; that happens all the time, lol. The only difference is that on the PvE server you can't kill the guy who just wants to put something on the Booty Bay Auction House before he logs for the night.

Booty Bay is a really interesting place, actually. It's one place where you can exchange things between Horde and Alliance players since they can both access the Auction House (unless this changed). On PvP servers, it is pretty much Horde only as the Horde players tend to kill any Alliance players who show up there. I had a friend who just wanted to give all his stuff from his Alliance character to a Horde character and it took in a couple hours to get it done because he kept getting ganked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:07 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

HAh booty bay is friggan awsome !! theres always shit going down there...never a dull moment in that place, pretty sweet to since theres a boat that takes u right to it lol. easy access to pvp all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:19 pm 
Too Elite
Too Elite

well hopefully blizz makes the honor system work to fix those problems. Not like gank now and lose .0000000000000000001 of your points to buy itmes that ull never buy!

once everyone reaches max lvl.. pvp is what you want to do.. why would You care about exp much anymore so honor system doesnt work and it doesnt matter if it doesnt work.

but yea.. this discussion could go on for years with no end so whatever.. everyone shoiuld just do what they wanna do :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:30 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Dozi, When did you become the board nazi? I can't express why I don't like PvP and why I won't play it? It is good that you won't go around and try to pk others for no reason or make fun of them when you pk them. However, that doesn't mean other 5000 kids won't. We are here to discuss the different specs of the game, people who like PvP will play PvP, people who don't want to deal with punk kids will avoid PvP. I said it clearly that I will not force anyone to play on the same server as me because this is a game so we should be allowed to play on whatever kind of the server we'd like to play on.

I stated it specifically I will not play on PvP server when the retail comes out. So I am not sure where you get the idea that I want to play on PvP. I never once said you are a kid, heck I don't even know you. The punk kid story is a generalization. If you feel offended then maybe because you did act like that or will act like that? I dont know. There's no reason to get mad at me just because I gave the reasons why I want to avoid PvP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:46 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

the only other MMORPG that i played had PK in it as well, and i was one of, if not, the best pker on the game. It was much smaller than this will be though, so i'm interested in showing up just to see how it goes. There are times in pk where things really get rough though, especially in astonia. If you die in pk there, you lose all of your items and gold, but if you kill somebody, you get all of theirs.

Is it anything like that in WoW?

Is this ok?

Level 65 Dragoon
Rank 9 Sandoria
Woodworking 72.0 Fishing 55.7
Smithing 34.0 Leathercraft 28.4
Bonecraft 22.7 Cooking 11.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:57 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I don't mean to come off as anti-PvP server. I plan to make a character on one and play there from time to time. Forced PvP and PK can be fun at times. In a way, I hope some of you start a guild on a PvP server, because you need to have a strong one to survive.

Peejo, 2U, and a couple others expressed their concerns about playing on a PvP server. I feel, based on the fact that I've played on the PvP server in closed Beta since the first day they created it, that their concerns are 100% justified and accurate. I want to dispel any illusions you may have about play that is 2 days or even 2 weeks old. The things Peejo described have happened over and over on the closed Beta PvP server, continue to happen now, and I see no reason to believe they will suddenly stop.

Peejo belongs on a PvE server. End of story. Would you like to play there with her? I would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:03 pm 
The Dojo MILF
The Dojo MILF

I for one will be going PVE. I have no desire to run around with "death wish" stamped over my head. At least with PvE you have the choice.

Cyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:07 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

One more thing to add. If I have the luxury to play as I used to, then I probably wouldn't mind to give PvP a try when the retail comes out. To be good at PvP you have to devote a lot more time than on a PvE server. You have not only to level fast, you'll also have to have the extra money to support you for the stuff you'll need to use to compete in PvP.

However, things have changed. I can no longer play as I used to. I will enjoy the next 3-4 months as much as I can in this game, but I really doubt I'll be able to sit in front of the computer try to pk someone or participate in a PvP situation while my son or daughter is crying in the crib. So PvE makes more sense to me, it's as simple as it'll be my lifestyle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:46 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

point taken, i just dont want to be catagorized as a punk kid because i like pvp thats all. I like it because its a whole different aspect of the game, i dont do it to be an asshole and gank ppl. Some do yes, but some also kill steal and harass ppl. Those can be catagorized in the same area imo. Its not just the pvpers who r griefing.

PS: whats a board nazi?

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft