It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft

Post subject: First Impressions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:50 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

Okay, I probably have about 8 hours playing time so far, and I want to state my initial impressions. I am a level 9 human paladin on server 21.

Pros:
- The leveling system isn't as fast as people said it was, at least not for me. Although once I learn the game system and create a non-n00b character, I'm sure leveling will be more fast paced.
- The quest system is brilliant. They are fun to do, they give useful loot, and they give EXP! I love that concept. So many games boast that "you don't have to be a killing machine to advance in our game, there are other routes to becoming powerful," but this game actually makes good on that idea.
- No zoning. The world is one huge seamless landscape. And what a beutiful world it is. Have you guys seen the water surface effects? OMG.
- The human city, Stormwind, is truly a feast for the eyes. And it's huge! The mages quarter alone in Stormwind is like half the size of San'doria.
- There are so many little places to visit in the world. Walking down the path, there are little towns, big towns, logging camps, farms, towers, lakes & rivers, ect. And this is just in my little neck of the woods. I have hardely explored anything yet. And you get a little EXP everytime you discover a new area. Awesome.
- When things go bad and 4 kobolds are on your tail, you can actually escape without them chasing you for miles.
- The death penalty is annoying enough to teach you not to die.
- The controls are actually pretty easy to use, they suit the game quite well.
- I like the music, which is always a big plus in my book.
- When I think of what there is to look foward to (raids, cool abilities, *mounts*, hero classes, tons of unexplored lands, ect), I get excited.

Cons
- Although this is just the beta, there isn't a community feel to the game yet. Everyone just kind of runs around doing their own thing. Whisp and I usually play these kind of games together, which makes it alot more fun for me, but I'm sure once the real game starts and everyone from this message board is on the same server, i will have some company.
- I don't really feel a connection to my character the same way I did in FFXI. This may change over time.
- Fights are fast paced and if you aren't careful you will die. I die alot right now.
- No zoning. I list this as a cons too because without zoning, it can get confusing as far as "where the hell am I right now?" There isn't a world map that I can find in game. I'm sure a guidebook will get published with a good map, which will help alot.
- There isn't much space too hold things, although I think you can make extra holding devices, kinda like gobbie bags. If someone knows please tell me.
- The whole ability learning process is slightly confusing, but I am only level 9 so I have alot to learn.

So these are my initial impressions. My overall conclusion this early in the game is that I like it alot, but I feel lonely. The game has great potential, and I will probably pick up the retail unless things go horribly wrong in the next week. Others feel free to list your impressions.

Last edited by Thunderstomp on Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:57 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Get a tailor buddy and your pack size issues will go away - they can make you 6 slot bags pretty early on in their career I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:25 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Cons
- Although this is just the beta, there isn't a community feel to the game yet. Everyone just kind of runs around doing their own thing. Whisp and I usually play these kind of games together, which makes it alot more fun for me, but I'm sure once the real game starts and everyone from this message board is on the same server, i will have some company.

Yeah, this is kinda sucky and good at the same time. There is so much you can do solo that sometimes it is hard to get a group. Mostly, people invite you to group if you are in the same place doing the same thing. While you can "seek" like in ffxi, there aren't any search comments (that I know of). That's a checkbox in the "who" tab of the social dbx. hit 'o' to bring that up.

- I don't really feel a connection to my character the same way I did in FFXI. This may change over time.
- Fights are fast paced and if you aren't careful you will die. I die alot right now.
- No zoning. I list this as a cons too because without zoning, it can get confusing as far as "where the hell am I right now?" There isn't a world map that I can find in game. I'm sure a guidebook will get published with a good map, which will help alot.

hit 'm' to bring up the map. blue dot is you, green dots party. right click to zoom out, left click to zoom in.

- There isn't much space too hold things, although I think you can make extra holding devices, kinda like gobbie bags. If someone knows please tell me.

You get 4 bag slots in addition to the backpack you start with. No level requirements to start with, but a bit expensive to buy from the NPC when starting out. Doesn't take long before you get to your maximum capacity tho.

- The whole ability learning process is slightly confusing, but I am only level 9 so I have alot to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:15 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

The more i play this game, the more i am liking it. That's always a good sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:00 am 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

Big issue i ahve been haveing with this Game is Chat... I hate it. I don;t understand how to use it and too much spam from it and it's so tiny i never see anyone trying to talk to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:28 am 
Too Elite
Too Elite

you can alter it with cosmos..

As to not understanding how to use it... Its not that hard.. You join the channels you want to be in and then type /# before what you say while # is corresponding to the channel you want to talk in. Theres a list when you log in at the top of ur log. The rest is the same kinda deal like /say, /p, /guild, /yell.

If one channel becomes to spammy.. i beleive you can leave it.

I THINK (not sure if this is right) /leave # or /leave (channel name) will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:52 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

The water!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:21 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Actually the best part about the water is when you actually walk through it or swim in it. It look really "real".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:35 pm 
Too Elite
Too Elite

the sounds of the water are impressive too.. The sound in general is pretty good. The music is awsome.. just wish there was a lil more.

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft