It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft

Post subject: Plz explain the difference between PVP and PVE
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:54 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

besides the obvious of course, whats different?

and do we really have to decide in the final version of the game or is it just beta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:03 pm 
Too Elite
Too Elite

ok.. theres like 701864957861 05 of these topics alredy.. find one,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:30 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

PVP = You may PvP the other nation (If your horde you can attack alliance and vice versa) at ANY time in what are known as "Contested Zones". The areas your start out in pre lvl 20ish are NOT contested and you may not attack the other race in that zone unless attacked first. But from my experiences, they always seem to attack, so u can attack back. at that point, they will be flagged for PVP in that zone. But if your just a low lvl trying to lvl, some big high lvl cant come and wipe you and ur friends out unless u attack him first. This prevent Griefing noobs.

PVE = You may not PVP at all in the entire game unless you type /pvp and this will flag you for pvp and your name will show up red to the other nations. Otherwise your name will remain blue and you can not be attacked EVEN in contested zones. This leaves the option of chooseing to PVP if you would like to by flagging yourself and hopeing to run into people of the other nation who have also flagged themselves.

Hope this clears up any confusion for ANYONE wondering how it works exactly. Any other questions please post so we can sort it out before the release and everyone will know which type of server they would prefer to play on . Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:59 am 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

God, people keep asking questions with obvious answers if they'd look for five seconds.

"Warrior abilities", "What's WoW like?"

ect ect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:31 am 
Tough!
Tough!

:) i spent a few hrs reading the manual that comes with the beta, its huge and explains in alot of detail all the differences, im actually thinking PvE is the way to go (still not sure) i wish i hadnt read it now heh so much to think about but it wont be out in europe for a while

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:34 am 
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)

I personally think PvE is the way to go... because it provides the option... and the prevention of getting PvPed when you dont WANT to..

There are still alot of raids that occur (just for fun) and many people participate in the PvP, and its a lot of fun. But the availibility to do quests in contested areas and see more of the game, (without 5+ ppl as bodyguards) is even more appealing.

People say "the pvp option is always there" and it truly is... there is plenty of PvPing going on in PvE servers.... just not any of the single lvl 50 running around killing lvl 20's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:55 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Just a little addition to what Dozi said. You get flagged PvP for any sort of hostile action against the other faction. If you heal or buff someone flagged PvP, you will be flagged PvP. You can tell when you are flagged because a little shield will appear over your portrait in the upper left of the screen. You will also be flagged PvP if you attack an NPC of the opposing faction. There are also opposing NPCs that will attack you, so, you can't just walk into Stormwind as an Undead, even on the PvE server.

I think I said this the first time I posted in this forum after it was created. "Normal" server is for 95% of the people. It has all the PvP aspects most people want because most people don't want to gank or be ganked on a regular basis. Raids happen on "normal" servers and they happen pretty often. If you are a Tauren and you /pvp and run around Westfall killing stuff, you will be attacked by players.

PvP servers are a lot of fun too. Don't get me wrong. If it weren't for the ganking, I think that my 95% above would be more like 60-75%. The only think that spoiled it for me was being killed at level 20 by a level 50. Maybe the honor system can fix that. Dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:22 pm 
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)

I actually had more fun on a PvE server because I was NE and teamed up with two other NE.

We would leave one person naked dancing in the middle of a road (with pvp flag) while the other two were shadowmelded to the side.

And once someone would ocme by and try and attack the person, we would just all pop out and slaughter him... it was a whole lot of fun. And tmostly the reason i'm going NE :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:24 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

But PvP DOESN'T leave the option unless you grief.

You can /pvp and raid a town...good job. That's it. No one has to fight you back, etc. So you just repeatedly ganking quest NPCs, etc and force people to fight you and lose by destroying their play experience.

Yeah 20 on 1 PvP will be what happens in PvE. Not full on battles like PvP.

And no one has/will/can complain about personal ganking. It can't/won't happen. Unless an entire group is attacking you constantly it can't happen. And in PvE they can still train mobs on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:27 am 
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)

Training mobs is really not a problem though, since mobs dont aggro on their way back to their original spawn.

And its actually quite different... at least on the PvE server I played on, I never saw a 20 vs 1 PvP moment.

There were just ppl that setup raids so they would gather 20 ppl or so, then go on a raid attack an NPC or two, and then once the news goes over Local Defense, there would be another 20 ppl or so that would come to defend.

Of course I've also seen a PvP raid that would go on and there would be 1 or 2 ppl just doing quests and would ignore the raid.... and that's clearly the better situation.... I'd hate to be interrupted daily on trying to do some quests or just lvling up, b/c of a small group of high lvl players that insist on patrolling lvl 20~ contested areas.

And to everyone I talked to that has played on a PvP server longer than just open Beta, personal ganking DOES happen... By the time you reach contested areas, it becomes a serious problem to go out by yourself....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:22 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

You cant DO a quest if they keep killing your quest NPC. It's griefing all the same. On PvP servers they avoid killing NPCs because it alerts everyone and they will get killed before they get to their destination, on PvE 1 guy can just camp an NPC and if he's high level just kill anyone who tries to fight back. In PvP everyone *has* to fight him, and he will lose easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:30 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

hehe yeah its pretty fun holding down a town. Problem with that is after awhile, atleast the ones i have raided, there a HUGE guard spawn at some point which pop like 30 or so 50+ guards who break up the party. Then we just stood outside and made sure no one could leave their town, tis all the same i mean it IS warcraft Horde Vs Alliance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:55 pm 
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)

Dinav wrote:
You cant DO a quest if they keep killing your quest NPC. It's griefing all the same. On PvP servers they avoid killing NPCs because it alerts everyone and they will get killed before they get to their destination, on PvE 1 guy can just camp an NPC and if he's high level just kill anyone who tries to fight back. In PvP everyone *has* to fight him, and he will lose easily.

On PvE, if 1 guy camped an NPC and he was high lvl.... that would just allow more ppl to group up and then finally gangbang him.

I've seen it happen so many times on PvE servers.... some idiot goes and attacks an NPC, over the local defense channel EVERYONE talks about going to the place... we all get there... and then just jump the guy.

You'd be surprised at how many ppl on PvE servers LIKE to do the PvP....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:46 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

What they need to do on the PvE server is reward people who /pvp somehow, like... getting signet in FFXI. Say when you're /pvp you get some kind of conquest points or a small bonus to exp or something... then there would be a reason to be in 'danger' and have these 'more challenging/unexpected battles' instead of just because you feel like it, even if you're concentrating on PvE at the time.

They also need to hide levels of opposite faction to make you think twice about ganking.

But since that's just a random idea/dream I made up... I just hope battlegrounds is cool when they implement it. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:54 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Well they could easily add a demension to the checking of opposing faction levels. A "seems to be" level could be done. Basely affected by the opposing char's level, but also his equipment. Wearing incredibly gear and being level 60 should show 60+. Wearing level 10 gear as a level 60 should show 48~. That way you can lure people to attack you as an ambush by looking weaker.

Also, Hunters following a survival talent set could get a trait to "boost" their level appearance by making them look stronger than they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:49 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I've fought a few people that con'd ??? to me. Maybe that just comes up if they are alot higher level than you are. I think the honor system Blizzard implemented is supposed to cut down on the ganking too but we'll see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:09 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

They just need to make the penalty for having lots of dishonorable kills totally crappy, like permanent item durability loss or halved exp :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:19 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

But an honor system wouldn't help the PvE server at all. I want pvp to be common place but I don't want to be forced to participate if I'm not in the mood. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:42 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I'm not particularly keen on PVP because it's not even remotely realistic to me. There is absolutely no way that you could "sneak" into the enemy land, in the first place, unless you had the super secret tunnel which undoubtably wouldn't be all that super secret after a while. Countries have borders and those borders are guarded. I "laugh" when I saw the invasion force for the human castle in orc lands. Level 62 guards at home, level 5 invasion force? It would be like drafting the 9 year old boys to invade Iraq, while keeping the Delta Force to guard Papa John's in downtown Kansas City.

Ignoring the fact that it's a joke to invade the other countries land, then you have the guy who wanders around slaughtering people and the reaction from the cities, towns, country? Don't come near my Papa Johns fucker or I'll waste your ass.

When MMORPG's finally get around to making PVP more realistic and more hazardous to invade, or at least more relevant to the gameplay than just killing people because it's cool, than I'll get into it. Until then, what you basically find is that you have a majority of griefer kids who find cute little ways to make everyone's life a living hell because they're bored after 7th grade homework. It's generally either a single person griefing or almost exclusively a virtual gang bang scenario if it involves more than one person.

You couldn't roam around medieval england wasting peons without the King's men finding your ass and drawing and quartering you, and I doubt it's any different in the mythical Kingdom of Lordaron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:01 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Kailyn wrote:
It would be like drafting the 9 year old boys to invade Iraq, while keeping the Delta Force to guard Papa John's in downtown Kansas City.
Don't come near my Papa Johns fucker or I'll waste your ass.

Hahahahah.

I hate those Papa John commercials.

papa johns is everywhere, better here, better there, papa johns papa johns papa johns AHHHHHH.

I think PvP is more realistic if you think of the game this one has spawned from...Warcraft...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:33 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

i think PvP is more realistic cause i mean if u saw the enemy IRL you'd attack em straight on, not wait for them to way your allowed to attack em.

"Oh hey Osama Bin ladin, can we kill you now? or should we wait untill you want us to kill you?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:39 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Quote:
I think PvP is more realistic if you think of the game this one has spawned from...Warcraft.

How often in 1v1 or 1vCPU were you able to walk inside an opponents perimeter (country) and randomly kill shit for an extended period of time? Odds are you had the entire local enemy defense on your single grunts head in about .04 seconds.

I'm all for realistic kill on sight PVP, but I don't think realism is asking your neighbor and the scrawny kid down the street to defend your town from the Iraqi national army walking down the street while the US Marines are eating pizza while Guarding Papa John's.

Now once the marines are busy blowing them up, you and your more bloodthirsty neighbors might take a few pot shots at them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:14 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Eh you're starting to lose me...I don't really understand what you're getting at now..

I suppose that it's more realistic because the story of the game is that these two factions are enemies, therefore PvP allows you to play out the story in a more realistic way.

You can't compare realism to our world to the game world...realistic would be how real it is to the way the game was intended to be played, which I think is with PvP. If I get ganked constantly, then I'm sure I'll move on to a PvE server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:16 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I think there is more reason to raid a capitol city other than just to provoke the nearest noob from the other faction and have a big pvp-fest, if people want to just fight a crowd of people from the other side they'll probably look to battlegrounds.

Raiding another city means you have to deal with a lot of high level guards, some 'elite' npc guards and I think if you kill the king or whatever then you can get some good drops or something?

If you keep your worlddefense channel on you can see when your capitol city is being attacked and most likely get there to help before the enemy gets near your leader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:54 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

ill be playing pvp, and i doubt ganking will truely happen as you say. I remember in open beta, when in redridge mountains (contested) as soon as someone said there were higher levels ganking lower levels there, higher levels for alliance started moving in to kill them. you worry about level 60s ganking 20s, but i dont that will happen since they will be easily counterable by other 60s.

Board index » General Gaming » World Of Warcraft