It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:37 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: the pirate war has begun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Ethan and I had first started talking over an untraceable prepaid phone that he carried with him. He eventually agrees to speak in person, as long as I protect his identity. (Ethan is a pseudonym.) We meet after school, in a bookstore that he says is near his house. He hands me a flash drive containing documents that I was later able to independently verify as internal, unpublished information belonging to MediaDefender. He also pulls out a well-creased sheet of paper bearing my name, the first five digits of my Social Security number, a few pictures of me, and addresses going back 10 years. "I had to check," he says. Then he asks me about another Roth he has been researching; it turns out to be my brother. "I was just starting to dig in to him," he says. "There's a lot there." Ethan is a handsome kid, with broad shoulders and a preppy style, and is unfailingly polite, cleaning up the table after I buy him a coffee and patiently walking me through the intricate details of Microsoft security procedures.

http://www.portfolio.com/news-markets/n ... rs-Profile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:06 am 
Vanadiel Animal Rights Activist
Vanadiel Animal Rights Activist

Quote:
Yet it has been difficult to quantify the damage supposedly wreaked by downloading. In mid-2007, economists Felix Oberholzer-Gee, from Harvard, and Koleman Strumpf, from the University of Kansas, published the results of their study analyzing the effect of file sharing on retail music sales in the U.S. They found no correlation between the two. "While downloads occur on a vast scale," they wrote, "most users are likely individuals who in the absence of file sharing would not have bought the music they downloaded." Another study published around the same time, however, found there was, in fact, a positive impact on retail sales, at least in Canada: University of London researchers Birgitte Andersen and Marion Frenz reported that the more people downloaded songs from P2P networks, the more CDs they bought. "Roughly half of all P2P tracks were downloaded because individuals wanted to hear songs before buying them or because they wanted to avoid purchasing the whole bundle of songs on the associated CDs, and roughly one-quarter were downloaded because they were not available for purchase."

Quote:
Perhaps, though, the entertainment business has it wrong. Downloaders aren't thieves; they're just rabid fans. But for the industry's perspective to change, it would have to trample long-held business practices. Hollywood would have to toss out its ability to stagger the opening of films across different media. It would also have to abandon technologies like the encryption used on HD-DVDs to prevent them from being copied or even played on certain machines. (A hacker cracked the encryption in January 2007.) And record labels would have to stop suing downloaders and continue to find other sources for revenue, like ringtones. But for the most part, the Weinsteins of the world see fighting as the only way forward.

"What should a police department do when it turns out there's been a burglary?" asks Rick Cotton, the general counsel of NBC Universal and the chairman of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Coalition Against Counterfeiting and Piracy. "Should the police department give up, close its doors, and say this is an impossible task? No. That's silly.

Still, a few months after the MediaDefender-Defenders played their prank, there was a sign that some in Hollywood might be shifting their thinking. A new independent movie called Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth showed up on one of the file-sharing sites in November. The film's producers had no idea it had even been pirated; all they knew was that suddenly its popularity was skyrocketing. Their websites received 23,000 hits in less than two weeks, and the film's ranking among the most-searched-for movies on the internet movie-tracking site IMDB went from 11,235 to 15. Eric Wilkinson, the film's co-producer, wrote a fan letter to the site responsible for driving traffic to the pirated film: "Our independent movie had next to no advertising budget and very little going for it until somebody ripped one of the DVD screeners and put the movie online for all to download.... People like our movie and are talking about it, all thanks to piracy on the Net!" He requested that fans buy the DVD as well and added, "In the future, I will not complain about file sharing. you have helped put this little movie on the map!!!! When I make my next picture, I just may upload the movie on the Net myself!"

When I try reaching Wilkinson, though, I'm told that the producer is not available. Instead, the movie's director, Richard Schenkman, returns the call. "Eric was clearly being sarcastic," Schenkman says about the offer to upload the film. "That's why he put in the exclamation points." I tell him his partner certainly sounded enthusiastic about file sharing. "Look, I have mixed feelings about this," Schenkman replies. "As a filmmaker, I love that people love the movie and have seen the movie. But as a person who literally has a hunk of his own life savings in the movie, I don't want to be ripped off by people illegally downloading the movie. Some of these downloaders want to believe they're fighting the man. But we're all just people who work for a living." He acknowledges, however, that DVD sales of the film increased after the leak, and that people have even been pledging money on a site the filmmaker set up to accept donations in markets where the DVD isn't for sale. "I'm not saying I have the answers," Schenkman says.

Meanwhile, Ethan has moved on to other companies. He and his friends have a few targets in mind that don't happen to be in the entertainment industry. He told me he'd also like to quit the business altogether but hasn't been able to give up the rush it brings. No doubt, other kids are hunkering down over their keyboards to see if they can't replicate the MediaDefender-Defenders' work. And some pirate is finding new ways to disseminate the material. Eventually, Hollywood will no longer be able to continue fighting its enemies at the expense of its customers. If they can't beat them, they'll finally have to join them. That is, if they want to keep having customers.

Piracy isn't just stealing it's also a good way to advertise.

Post subject: Re: the pirate war has begun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:13 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Masterg wrote:
Ethan and I had first started talking over an untraceable prepaid phone that he carried with him. He eventually agrees to speak in person, as long as I protect his identity. (Ethan is a pseudonym.) We meet after school, in a bookstore that he says is near his house. He hands me a flash drive containing documents that I was later able to independently verify as internal, unpublished information belonging to MediaDefender. He also pulls out a well-creased sheet of paper bearing my name, the first five digits of my Social Security number, a few pictures of me, and addresses going back 10 years. "I had to check," he says. Then he asks me about another Roth he has been researching; it turns out to be my brother. "I was just starting to dig in to him," he says. "There's a lot there." Ethan is a handsome kid, with broad shoulders and a preppy style, and is unfailingly polite, cleaning up the table after I buy him a coffee and patiently walking me through the intricate details of Microsoft security procedures.

link is interesting, post is not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:56 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

I hate masterg. Where in the fuck did he come from

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:44 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Ponuh wrote:
I hate masterg. Where in the fuck did he come from

I rather enjoy his presence here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:28 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Good article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:35 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

well you see ponuh, when a girl and a boy become good friends, really really good friends they like to experiment doing some really crazy things... you see where im going with this?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:55 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Armani wrote:
Masterg wrote:

But the post is an excerpt of the article in the link! Dun dun dun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:59 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

its like saying the opposite of "i like my congressman, but i hate congress"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:32 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I like masturbating in an empty theater while watching a movie by myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:01 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Kioto wrote:
I like masturbating in an empty theater while watching a movie by myself.

wrong thread? and personally I have never been to the "one of those" theatres before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:03 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Nope i posted in the right thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:21 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

ChickenNoodleSoup wrote:
Armani wrote:
Masterg wrote:

But the post is an excerpt of the article in the link! Dun dun dun!

but it wasn't quoted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:39 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Kioto means that in the sense of watching a movie in when and where your comfortable xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:34 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm sure he meant in an actual movie theatre.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:44 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/21 ... acktivism/

RIAA wiped off the net
By John Leyden
Published Monday 21st January 2008 12:25 GMT
A lack of security controls allowed hackers to "wipe" the Recording Industry Association of America's (RIAA) website on Sunday.

The existence of an SQL injection attack on the RIAA's site came to light via social network news site Reddit. Soon after hackers were making merry, turning the site into a blank slate, among other things.

The RIAA has restored RIAA.org, although whether it's any more secure than before remains open to question, TorrentFreak reports (http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-website-hacked-080120).

The RIAA's high-profile lawsuits against file sharers have made it a prime target for hack attacks, so its apparent failure to apply rudimentary security controls looks especially dumb even though, as with most such attacks, little damage was actually caused.

In other hacking news, the Church of Scientology's website reportedly came under attack (http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php ... 206bb1a360) last week, leaving it unavailable for parts of the weekend.

The attack was reportedly an act of hacktivism prompted by the organisation's attempts to pull a promotional video featuring Scientologist Tom Cruise from YouTube. YouTube pulled the clip, but the material has since resurfaced on Gawker.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:24 pm 
Invented Emo
Invented Emo

now for a completely random list of images to piss everyone off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

lol @ pirate cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:43 pm 
The Mexican Reject
The Mexican Reject

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:53 pm 
Iron Chef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:02 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

WOOT those fucker are getting for messing with wrong group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:04 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Pantherxx wrote:

The wrong group being the group that's stealing from them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:15 pm 

Ponuh wrote:
Pantherxx wrote:

The wrong group being the group that's stealing from them?

nah was talking about them hackers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:51 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

After a decade fighting to stop illegal file-sharing, the music industry will give fans today what they have always wanted: an unlimited supply of free and legal songs.

With CD sales in free fall and legal downloads yet to fill the gap, the music industry has reluctantly embraced the file-sharing technology that threatened to destroy it. Qtrax, a digital service announced today, promises a catalogue of more than 25 million songs that users can download to keep, free and with no limit on the number of tracks.

The service has been endorsed by the very same record companies - including EMI, Universal Music and Warner Music – that have chased file-sharers through the courts in a doomed attempt to prevent piracy. The gamble is that fans will put up with a limited amount of advertising around the Qtrax website’s jukebox in return for authorised use of almost every song available.

The service will use the “peer-to-peer” network, which contains not just hit songs but rarities and live tracks from the world’s leading artists.

source

Qtrax

This seems too good to be true, but its there. but because im careful, im not gonna be the first PC to be fried by a hollywood laden virus :p

but still!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:32 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

It is too good to be true. They don't have permission from any of the labels.

Board index » Community » Community Discussion