It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:40 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: So I got some new recording equipment..
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:34 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

.. and I got it setup the other day. Bought a new Behringer mixer (12 channel) and a Line 6 Toneport UX2 from Guitar Center in Roseville, Michigan. It was my first time at a Guitar Center and god damn that place is amazing if your into music.

Anywho I recorded a song to try out my new stuff and I am very pleased with the results so far. I think it sounds so much clearer and sharper than anything I've done in the past.

Here is the song. Its Lateralus by Tool.

http://media.putfile.com/Tool---Lateralus-76

Let me know what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:02 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

i love the wall of guitars. i dont know if its at every guitar center, but the one in dallas is A M A Z I N G! definately can spend hours in that store

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:07 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

You must be kidding me? Everyone in the world who I know (who's not crazy as shit) finds guitar center completely intolerable, including the employees haha. It's the Gamestop of music stores

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:21 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

for new music people and low lvl music people guitar center is kool, but for professional musicians it isnt that great. i took drum lessons from a professional drummer and he told my the specialty shops had better stuff, more stuff and better prices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:50 pm 
Invented Emo
Invented Emo

Masterg wrote:
for new music people and low lvl music people guitar center is kool, but for professional musicians it isnt that great. i took drum lessons from a professional drummer and he told my the specialty shops had better stuff, more stuff and better prices

that's true for drums. Not so much for everything else. Guitar Center is a cool store, that's where I got my Guild acoustic. It was the same price as everywhere else if not cheaper. It is sort of the gamestop of music stores but what's so bad about gamestop other than having to deal with annoying people? As far as selection goes there's not many other places besides ebay/online that match them.

Nice song Pix, who was playing drums? It was very clear and i especially liked the clean part in the beginning. The only thing I didn't like so much was the tone of the distortion. It sounded kinda like it had been fed through a shitty combo amp or you just used the gain of the mixer/distortion pedal. Probably would've been better micing up a half stack. But then, I like my distortion really thick cuz I listen to all those sludgey doom metal bands with epic brown note hitting quadruple layered guitar tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:01 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Jimbean wrote:
It is sort of the gamestop of music stores but what's so bad about gamestop other than having to deal with annoying people? .

Bad selection, pushy staff (company policy of course) "buy this, you need this thing too" mentality. Gamestop customers are annoying as shit, yes. But in Guitar Center you deal with gamestop customers PLAYING GUITARS. there's nothing more nightmarish than that. The store manager was talking to us once about how much he hates it, and that he has a rule that almost always the people who can play just go into a corner and noodle away tastefully and the people who can't go for the biggest amp possible and begin mutilating it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:44 pm 
The Mexican Reject
The Mexican Reject

Ponuh wrote:
...he store manager was talking to us once about how much he hates it, and that he has a rule that almost always the people who can play just go into a corner and noodle away tastefully and the people who can't go for the biggest amp possible and begin mutilating it.

ROFL so true..

Sounds great, Pix but I have to agree with Jim. Is it straight guitar in with a speaker emulator? I'd love to do this..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:23 pm 

I have my guitar put into the Line 6 Toneport (Blue patch cable). The Toneport comes with a piece of software called Gearbox and thats what emulates all the sounds. You can get pretty much whatever you want out of it as long as you know what sound you want. It was only like $150. My guitar isnt mic'd to any amp at all, its all processed through the Toneport and Mixer.

The drums and bass are fake. They are just midi notes I made on the midi keyboard with soundfonts replacing the midi to make it sound a bit more real. I know they are still far from real but I don't have the skills nor cash for a drum set at the moment.

I am saving up for:

[url=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sterling-Audio-ST55-Large-Diaphragm-FET-Condenser-Mic?sku=271356]
Sterling Audio ST55 Large Diaphragm FET Condenser Microphone[/url]

[url=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-DX1-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514814]
Martin DX1 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar[/url]

Image[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:50 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Sounds really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:55 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Yeah, it actually does sound quite good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:35 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Sounds good, just need a real drummer. There are ways to get a guitar to simulate a bass with effects, more than just taking it down two octaves. I kind of want to get a bass now. What program did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:04 am 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

Its legit. Do you plan on doing anything major? or did you just buy the equipment to play around with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:26 am 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Parade wrote:
Its legit. Do you plan on doing anything major? or did you just buy the equipment to play around with?

If he was going to do something major he wouldn't use that equipment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:14 am 

lol yeah I don't plan on doing anything major or I would be spending big $$$. I just love music and recording stuff. I do write my own stuff to but its not amazing. I need to learn theory badly but I can't stand it. I know it would help me greatly its just so boring =(

I use Sonar 6 Producer Edition as my Digital Audio Workstation. It has built in soft synths for drums and thats all I use for it. You just make a note chart from the keyboard in the program and it emulates whatever instrument you want. I do the same thing for the bass but I link the bass to a Virtual Bass Instrument. I am trying to find a cracked version of Drumkit From Hell 2 that works, but I've had no luck.

I find it easier to write music that isn't metal. Metal is tricky to think of non-generic good riffs, for me anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:31 am 

So here is a couple songs I made up, don't be too harsh they aren't complete, just stuff I came up with. I got like 40+ part songs I just have a hard time transitioning and thinking of original stuff =(

http://media.putfile.com/Sofa-Kings---Song-3

http://media.putfile.com/Sofa-Kings---Song-39

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Pix wrote:
lol yeah I don't plan on doing anything major or I would be spending big $$$. I just love music and recording stuff. I do write my own stuff to but its not amazing. I need to learn theory badly but I can't stand it. I know it would help me greatly its just so boring =(

I use Sonar 6 Producer Edition as my Digital Audio Workstation. It has built in soft synths for drums and thats all I use for it. You just make a note chart from the keyboard in the program and it emulates whatever instrument you want. I do the same thing for the bass but I link the bass to a Virtual Bass Instrument. I am trying to find a cracked version of Drumkit From Hell 2 that works, but I've had no luck.

I find it easier to write music that isn't metal. Metal is tricky to think of non-generic good riffs, for me anyways.

Not to start an argument but metal is by far the easiest genre to write music for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:22 pm 

depends what sub genre of metal I guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:54 am 

HOT! I finally got a working version of Drumkit from Hell 2. So I had to redo the drums and remap them since it was totally different but here is the end result, sooo much better. I havent tweaked the sound of the drums yet, I just loaded up a preset drumkit. I don't like the sound of the bass drum or the toms really but oh well.

http://media.putfile.com/Tool---Lateralus-34

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

What is most natural to you as a musician will be the easiest genre to write music for. Metal can be difficult if you are trying to have some individuality and incorporate techniques and sounds that are normally not seen as metal. Then it isn't really metal anymore though haha. You can make anything difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:13 am 

http://media.putfile.com/Metallica---Sanitarium-43

Just recorded Sanitarium by Metallica. I think it turned out well audio wise, I think the distortion is better than the Tool cover. I know I made a mistake on the 2nd solo but oh well, Ill iron it out later. Just looking for some comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 pm 

Pix wrote:
depends what sub genre of metal I guess

This is fact.

And Pix, you make me want to record some stuff. :(

Too bad my recording stuff is garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:46 pm 

Oh Pix, have you heard the new Opeth stuff that got leaked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:41 pm 

Yeah! the Lotus Eater is SICK! Love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:06 pm 

So I got around to recording another song. This time I actually did a full song instead of just a part.

Song is by Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade.

KSE---My-Last-Serenade-Cover

Board index » Community » Community Discussion