It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: Man Jailed After Daughter Fails To Get GED
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:25 pm 
Iron Chef

Seriously, WTF.

Quote:
A Fairfield man is in jail because his daughter hasn't gotten her General Equivalency Diploma (GED).

A judge ordered the father to stay on top of his daughter's education months ago and when that order wasn't followed, Brian Gegner was sentenced to 180-days in the Butler County jail.

The daughter, Brittany Gegner, says her father shouldn't be punished for her problems.

Especially, she says because she's now 18, an adult.

"It's ridiculously wrong," said Brittany Gegner.

"Of all the punishments they could have given him, to make him go to jail?," she asked. "I mean, probation – until I get my GED – would be reasonable, but to send him to jail? That's overboard."

Butler County Juvenile Court Judge David Niehaus ordered Gegner to jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor by not following a court order which required Gegner to be sure his daughter got her GED.

This comes after ongoing problems of Brittany skipping classes at Fairfield High School and then, Butler Tech.

While Brian Gegner had custody of her, Brittany says it was while she lived with her mother that she was truant.

"I'm about to be 19 and my Dad's being punished for something I did when I was 16," she said.

"It's like I should, if anybody should be punished for this," said Brittany. "I would way rather me go to jail than my Dad."

"They probably should have punished me if they were going to punish anybody," said Brittany's mother Shana Roach. "Because she did live with me at the time, but because he had the custody, that's why he's being punished."

"But I don't understand the punishment all together because she's going to school, she's been going for four months," said Roach. "The only thing that's holding her back is she can't pass her math test."

Brittany has a daughter who's about 18-months-old.

She says she's determined to pass the GED for her daughter – and her father.

The judge says if she passes the test, her father could get out of jail before his six-months sentence is up.

Brittany's step-mother worries the time in jail will ruin their family.

She says he could lose the job he's worked for 15-years.

"I never dreamed they would put him in jail for this – for six months – it's crazy," said Stephanie Gegner, Brittany's step-mother.

"He has no control over what his adult daughter does," she said. "He just doesn't."

Court administrators say that even though Brittany is an adult now, the case remains active in their court because she was a juvenile when the problems started.

They say this type of punishment is rare and reserved for extreme cases when court orders aren't met.

Source: http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.as ... 59f1f6137e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:40 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Wow.

W T F.

May I stress again, W T F ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:01 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

The american court system confuses the hell out of me some times lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:56 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Can you imagine him talking to his employer/boss and requesting a leave of absence from work due to jail time?

"Hey Boss, uh, I need some time off work, personal reasons."
"Um, ok, what's wrong and how long?"
"180 days"
"That's a long leave, why?"
"My daughter failed Math, couldn't get her G.E.D so now I'm going to jail for 180 days"
"....?? Come again?"
"Remember when I joked about math not mattering in the real world? Well it turns out, JOKES ON ME!"

Is this the first time this has happened, like a precedence? Doesn't seem so by the last line of the article.

Really though, what is the parent suppose to do when the child just refuses to listen? You can't lay a finger on them. This reminds me of a small case I remember reading a while back and heard on the radio again just a month ago. It started about 2 years ago (I forget where exactly, but somewhere in Ontario). A man and his wife had a disobedient daughter (think she was 14-15 at the time). Stayed out late, partied, had an older boyfriend who sold drugs. Basically the incident involved the man and his wife catching their daughter out late when she was suppose to be home and dragged her home (she was in another car, parked at the side of the road if I remember the details correctly). They dragged her home but later that night she snuck out to go to a party. The man went after her and dragged her home again. Both times he had to use some force because she wasn't going to budge. Next day, the girl files an abuse charge against her father (or was it the same night? I forget). Regardless, he finds himself handcuffed by the officers, taken down to the station and charged. I believe he was found guilty because he fought the system for 2 years before it was overturned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:38 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Yarr wrote:
The american court system confuses the hell out of me some times lol.

Remember that I posted about people that sue for alot of monies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:23 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

There's nothing wrong with our justice system besides widespread racism and exorbitant penalties. Most of those "xtreme lawsuits" are made up in chain emails.

Board index » Community » Community Discussion