It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: Renewable gasoline
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:40 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

I'm always cautious about things like this but, I did find this extremely interesting. Essentially this company claims that it can create 91 octane ASTM approved renewable gasoline. What do they use to create it? Sunlight algae and cO2 and water any type of water actually. The company claims its chemically identical to gasoline, so the conversion to regular everyday cars would take nothing at all. The draw back? Well not trying to be anal but apparently it does nothing to combat global warming. Since burning this gasoline would produce cO2 also. The company however claims that its actually carbon neutral, the same amount of
cO2 thats absorbed by the algae is reintroduced into the environment.

My thing with this all. Is this too good to be true? Is it really cheap to produce, and if so why isn't the government jumping on this asap. Why isn't this front page news? Wouldn't this change the global energy crisis we are in ?

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05/29/sapphire-turns-microorganisms-sunlight-and-co-sub-2-sub-into/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:47 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I don't really care too much about the whole global warming aspect to finding alternative fuels. If it's cheaper but produces the same type of pollution, why not go for it?

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:53 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Dmitry wrote:
I don't really care too much about the whole global warming aspect to finding alternative fuels. If it's cheaper but produces the same type of pollution, why not go for it?

Alot people don't, until it really starts affecting them. But yea it almost sounds to good to be true lol. This "solution" seems to create the pill easiest to swallow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:52 pm 
The Mexican Reject
The Mexican Reject

91 octane? Fuck that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:52 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Mikey that signature is awesome lol.

omg hi matti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:36 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

I don't know. I'm skeptical about this because I haven't heard anything close to this successful. There's a lot of money potentially out there and it seems suspicious. Still, if it's true that's neat. Most of the university solutions are focusing on fibrous plant waste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:54 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

http://www.volkswagen.com/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en2/unternehmen/mobility_and_sustainability0/technik___innovation/Forschung/1_Liter_Auto.html

Volkswagan built a car that does 235 miles to the gallon lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:01 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Gimmick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:55 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Biodiesel was the subject of one of the free response questions on the AP environmental science test this year. It really is amazing how much more efficient this algae is than attempting to produce fuel from corn or soy or other terrestrial crops. The major environmental issue with burning petroleum is that the carbon dioxide (and other nasty chemicals) being released into the atmosphere has been stored under the surface of the earth for the past few million years; so when we burn those hydrocarbons, we alter the composition of the atmosphere. This company claims that "every single carbon atom in the Sapphire gasoline is extracted from the environment as CO2." I think I remember reading that after the algae dies it can be dried and used as feed for livestock. This isn't making front page news because it's been happening for a while, but your average Joe Schmo doesn't give a shit about what's going on unless it directly affects his every day life, which companies like Sapphire are not yet prepared to do. It will probably be a while before people are fueling their cars with algae gas, but these kinds of efforts are steps in the right direction; which is one that leads humanity to more sustainable lifestyles that better harmonize with and mimic nature.

holy shit wall o' text

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:21 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

drill anwar you faggots, then we dont need this hocus pocus bullshit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:29 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

ANWR does not have enough oil to fix the problem, and wont solve the imidiate problem. anwr would take about 7 years if that. not only that, but would destory the national park that its located in.

i just think of it as another way the bush administration wants to destroy the environment protection set up by other presidents. hes been doing it to national forests on the east coast >.>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:50 am 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

you're quite the analyst masterg. And to think, you're only seven years old!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:11 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Masterg wrote:
ANWR does not have enough oil to fix the problem, and wont solve the imidiate problem. anwr would take about 7 years if that. not only that, but would destory the national park that its located in.

i just think of it as another way the bush administration wants to destroy the environment protection set up by other presidents. hes been doing it to national forests on the east coast >.>

Where did this come from lol?

Board index » Community » Community Discussion