It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: Caught on tape: Hospital patient left to die
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:57 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25475759/

Quote:
Esmin Green, 49, had been waiting in the emergency room for nearly 24 hours when she toppled from her seat at 5:32 a.m. on June 19, falling face down on the floor.

She was dead by 6:35, when someone on the medical staff, flagged down by a person in the waiting room, finally approached, nudged Green with her foot, and gently prodded her shoulder, as if to wake her. The staffer then left and returned with someone wearing a white lab coat who examined her and summoned help.

Until the staffer's appearance, Green's collapse barely caused a ripple. Other patients waiting a few feet away didn't react. Security guards and a member of the hospital's staff appeared to notice her prone body at least three times, but made no visible attempt to see if she needed help.

One guard didn't even leave his chair, rolling it around a corner to stare at the body, then rolling away a few moments later.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybOJUujKxPg[/youtube]

How many times does this need to happen before we actually try to reform our health care system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:17 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Because the actions of 4 irresponsible individuals calls for a complete overhaul of the system.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:31 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Dmitry wrote:
Because the actions of 4 irresponsible individuals calls for a complete overhaul of the system.

Agreed. although the system does need to change. Something like this doesn't happen really. Tragic though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:37 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Are you guys really that naive to treat this like some freak accident that never happens? Sure, people might not always die in hospital waiting rooms, but the fact that the workers were so nonchalant about a lady dying on a floor should at least be considered some indication as to how well the patients are being treated in these hospitals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:49 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

goDeejay wrote:
Are you guys really that naive to treat this like some freak accident that never happens? Sure, people might not always die in hospital waiting rooms, but the fact that the workers were so nonchalant about a lady dying on a floor should at least be considered some indication as to how well the patients are being treated in these hospitals.

I'm not naive lol. Best way to teach this hospital a lesson is for the family to sue the living crap outta of the hospital. Stuff like this is is unacceptable. But it doesn't warrant changing the entire industry because of it. If anything the real change in the entire industry is changing medical insurance company policy.

You realize how many people suffer and probably even died because of their policy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:53 pm 
Invented Emo
Invented Emo

actually this happened in one of the busiest hospitals in ny. where sometimes going to the emergency room can mean a 24 hour + wait for a bed to open up. In situations like that, it's common to see people "camping out" or sleeping on the floor, i think it's most likely that the people who you're pissed at (the doctor, the security guard) could've mistaken it for someone waiting for a bed.. since the old lady clearly had no one with her making sure that the severity of her condition was taken into consideration. It's hard to say w/o knowing the full story. The people in the video who do piss me off though are the other people in the waiting room who watch her fall over and do nothing.. I could imagine that she'd be moaning and groaning and people probably were like "good, let that bitch die.. i need to get my sprained ankle looked at." Also, I dont like how the nurse comes in and kicks her and that's how they figure out there's something's wrong.. like HOURS later or whatever. it's fucked up, but I'm not sure it's the system just this particular hopsital and the attitudes of those who inhabit ny.

check this shit out

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=WFWi1bqncLU[/youtube]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:37 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

That doctor knew what was going on. I think the problem in the first video is that its a mental ward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:35 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

goDeejay wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:56 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

wtf lol

Board index » Community » Community Discussion