It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: Nvidia Graphics cards issue.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:11 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Rumor has it that Nvidia is attempting to cover up the possibility that their graphic cards ranging from 8800 gt to 9800 Mobile and Desktop ( yes i said desktop ) cards are prone to an extremely high failure rates.

Right now its rumor, although nvidia has admitted to an an issue with certain mobile card series, it seems possible the reason why they're so reluctant to say anything is because if they did announce an issue with all those cards, it would probably devastate the company.

Right now, I have this annoying flickering issue with my 9600gt geforce. It Constantly crashes when i do play games even though the cards are built for gaming ( yes i have updated drivers). I never had an issue with ATI cards and i regret switching to nvidia. It seems although Nvidia might be a little ahead of ati when it comes to tech, it also seems like they don't bother with durablity and reliability like ATI.

More news will come im sure. For those of you interested anyway.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/12/nvidia-g92s-g94-reportedly

Seems like a coverup bad. If this actually comes out to be true. The company would have to face responsibility for selling entire lines of bad products and would instantly go bankrupt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:52 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

lol if my 9800 shits out and i have to buy a new card i'll be so fucking pissed ><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:43 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Madisonli wrote:
lol if my 9800 shits out and i have to buy a new card i'll be so fucking pissed ><

I'll tell you right now. I'm pretty sure i've been affected badly by this. I went for 2 9600gts for an SLI set up.

99% of the time i'm only using 1 card because 2 cards freezes my system. SLI does not work. Totally not worth investing into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:31 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

That sucks. Ive got a 8X series and Ive had some serious system stability issues. I even replaced my MOBO (and I still have freezing issues). This could be why I have so many issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:44 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Yarr wrote:
That sucks. Ive got a 8X series and Ive had some serious system stability issues. I even replaced my MOBO (and I still have freezing issues). This could be why I have so many issues.

yea the 8800 series right? Thats on the listing for troubled GPU's. Nvidia has been passing around a quick firmware fix. But all it does it is attempt to save time. Since its an internal overheating issue all it does is speed up cooling fans to try and prevent further damage to the gpu. At least try to until the warranty nivida provides is over.

Theres been alot of talk about Nivida trying its best to avoid this issue. Simply because the company doesn't have the cash reserves to fix this problem head on.

Yarr do you have SLI? 2 cards working as one? Do you even use it? For me its unusable. I cannot use the computer longer than 5 mins without it crashing using sli mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:08 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I've got no problems yet.

Also this thread is full of speculations, kinda funny to read tbh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:46 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Kioto wrote:
I've got no problems yet.

Also this thread is full of speculations, kinda funny to read tbh.

You change gpu's often though, you might not even notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:46 pm 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

id be pissed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I had my 8800GTX for over a year i think. I've noticed though that a lot of hardware problems aren't the hardware's fault, tweaking is a big part of custom rigs. I hear a lot of bad things about my motherboard but all 3 installations that i have done worked out flawlesly. There was a lot of tweaking to do before i got it to work, but once all was set correctly and properly tweaked they all work great. I've said this before and i'll say it again, there will always be lemons but most of the time the tech's or whoever custom builds a computer makes the first mistake which leads to crashing and may even damage the hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:38 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Kioto wrote:
I had my 8800GTX for over a year i think. I've noticed though that a lot of hardware problems aren't the hardware's fault, tweaking is a big part of custom rigs. I hear a lot of bad things about my motherboard but all 3 installations that i have done worked out flawlesly. There was a lot of tweaking to do before i got it to work, but once all was set correctly and properly tweaked they all work great. I've said this before and i'll say it again, there will always be lemons but most of the time the tech's or whoever custom builds a computer makes the first mistake which leads to crashing and may even damage the hardware.

I don't think neither me or yarr made any customizations as far as overclocking comes to. If thats what you are implying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:14 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I didn't mean overclocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:26 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

I haven't done any mistake building my computer lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:45 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well it's not working as expected, so someone's at fault... If you think it's the hardware why didn't you get it replaced? If i buy something that doesn't work i would get a replacement or my money back at least...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:40 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Kioto wrote:
Well it's not working as expected, so someone's at fault... If you think it's the hardware why didn't you get it replaced? If i buy something that doesn't work i would get a replacement or my money back at least...

You are confusing lol.

The hardware in general is working. Its just the bugs that have appeared when using specific functions on certain hardware. Obviously the computer does work since i'm using it to talk here right now. And so does yarr's.

These bugs are attributed to either bad code or bad hardware under specific conditions.

I would say this problem is similar to the problem ms has with the 360. The majority of the hardware was flawed. But eventually due to bad design they were destined to break down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:01 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

i got a 8800gt superclocked and it seems every month or so the performance takes a dip and i also find it funny that it dips around the time a new update is out ;)

the only thing ive been reading about nVidia on my other forums is that they are changing the names of some of the double named cards like the 8800gs 768 / 512 / 312 etc because the chipsets between the sizes are different

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:01 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

SLi takes tweaking though and that's what i said before. If your card is failing in SLi then it probably isn't a bad card if it works in single mode. You might have to tweak cooling, voltages, bus speeds, memory timmings and maybe even drivers (roll back to earlier drivers to test). I haven't seen a case where SLi a video card that worked in single mode that didn't work in SLi because it was a defective card. Somewhere along the line something isn't being done correctly. Sorry if i'm being confusing, i'm currently PVP'ing in WAR and trying to do multiple things at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:37 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Kioto wrote:
SLi takes tweaking though and that's what i said before. If your card is failing in SLi then it probably isn't a bad card if it works in single mode. You might have to tweak cooling, voltages, bus speeds, memory timmings and maybe even drivers (roll back to earlier drivers to test). I haven't seen a case where SLi a video card that worked in single mode that didn't work in SLi because it was a defective card. Somewhere along the line something isn't being done correctly. Sorry if i'm being confusing, i'm currently PVP'ing in WAR and trying to do multiple things at once.

NOW YOUR CLEAR WHORE FACE

That could be a possiblity! Yes, however it should work once enabled to be frank lol. But that could be a possiblity

Last edited by Mikey on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:38 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Masterg wrote:
i got a 8800gt superclocked and it seems every month or so the performance takes a dip and i also find it funny that it dips around the time a new update is out ;)

the only thing ive been reading about nVidia on my other forums is that they are changing the names of some of the double named cards like the 8800gs 768 / 512 / 312 etc because the chipsets between the sizes are different

That could be due to driver issues. Nvidia doesn't test beta drivers as well as ATI does. I would say don't update the card away. Wait 2-3 weeks before hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:55 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

i cant wait though, when these "dips" occur its not a few frames, its like 15frames out the window and ussually happen at bad times like when i have to main tank dynamis, so i have to get the new driver fast and it always gives the frames back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:49 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Masterg wrote:
i cant wait though, when these "dips" occur its not a few frames, its like 15frames out the window and ussually happen at bad times like when i have to main tank dynamis, so i have to get the new driver fast and it always gives the frames back

I would do a defrag on your hd and an error check that usually helps get back some frames. As for feeling obligated to update or roll back on drivers. That is unnecessary. Its prob as easy as doing a defrag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:57 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I would think that it has something to do with memory or maybe heat, maybe a memory hole in one of the apps running, when your fps dips like that try restarting the computer. I can't imagine drivers/hardware being a factor in fluctuating fps, specially if the drivers work ok to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:20 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

yea kioto said it better than I. It doesn't seem at all like its a graphics card issue for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:58 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

thing with that was i ran a anti-virus/spyware check and restarted twice and it did nothing for it. and i defraged like 3months ago, but i run anti virus and spyware atleast once a day. and its not heat or memory leaks, i have an Artic Cooling Reefer 2 with fans or w/e for my 8800gt keeps it 20degrees cooler then my stock and when i play ffxi, i close all other apps except system programs and wireless configuration monitor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:03 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Hmm.. Mind posting a highjackthis log and maybe a dxdiag log?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:04 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Dxdiag

http://www.sendmefile.com/00644536

HJT

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 3:00:39 AM, on 8/16/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\WUSB54GSv2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TSVNCache.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\JMRaidTool.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Fraps\FRAPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Caleb Sierer\Desktop\Utilities\HiJackThis_v2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId= ... lcid=0x409
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://msn.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId= ... lcid=0x409
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://msn.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JMB36X Configure] C:\WINDOWS\system32\JMRaidTool.exe boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Fraps] C:\Fraps\FRAPS.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" clear
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Run IMVU - {d9288080-1baa-4bc4-9cf8-a92d743db949} - C:\Documents and Settings\Caleb Sierer\Start Menu\Programs\IMVU\Run IMVU.lnk (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0742B9EF-8C83-41CA-BFBA-830A59E23533} (Microsoft Data Collection Control) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/MSDcode.cab
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://downloads.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {67A5F8DC-1A4B-4D66-9F24-A704AD929EEE} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/sysreqlab2.cab
O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} (DivXBrowserPlugin Object) - http://download.divx.com/player/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {74C861A1-D548-4916-BC8A-FDE92EDFF62C} - http://mediaplayer.walmart.com/installer/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - http://cdn2.zone.msn.com/binFramework/v ... b56649.cab
O16 - DPF: {BE833F39-1E0C-468C-BA70-25AAEE55775E} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/sysreqlab.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll

Dont worry about the GPU temps, the fans got unplugged to lazy to plug them back in so not as cool as they could be

Board index » Community » Community Discussion