It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:23 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I see a couple things that could be decreasing performance, but it's not likely to be a hardware (video card) issue.

1) Nvidia drivers are up to 177.83 (you have 175.19).
2) Your CPU speed is 2.13Ghz and it's showing 1.806Ghz, your cpu may be slowing down when it's not supposed to. Turning off (Disabled) Thermal Monitor, C1E Function, Virtualization Technology in bios will help your cpu keep a steady voltage and speed (the healthy way).
3) You are running the debug version of d3d9d.dll, it may help to disable the debug version via DirectX Control Panel.
4) Microsoft SQL Server is a memory hog even if you don't have a large database running.
5) nTune is known to cause problems and errors, sometimes major conflicts. (personal experience with my abit in9 32-max motherboard, when i got rid of nTunes completly all my problems went away)
6) Tortoise might be killing disk I/O.

Might not be anything to do with what i said but it's worth to check and see, i know some of these don't automatically start with windows (e.i. tortoise, sql stuff) but it's worth a check. Other minor thing is Fraps running, i like it as a fps display but it sucks when you press the record video shortcut (fps drops 10~30). Riva Tuner has some tricky settings that can cause bogus video problems as well, but safe(r) for the most part.

The best opinion i have for you is to install xp pro w/ sp3, i never liked home or media center editions of xp... I guess that's just me though but usually these little things i do bring stability to the systems i build so it might help i guess. I don't know much but it really doesn't seem to be a hardware (video card) issue to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:20 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

my cpu is slowing down b/c of the voltage its getting, according to cpuz the voltage fluxuates and it changes the multiplier and its just weird, and c1e is already off.

i forget what sql server is but i close it on start up

i keep updating dxdiag but all i ever get is teh debug version

ntune is only open cause i hit it instead of rivatuner, but the control center is always running

tortiose is a piece of crap program that my college uses to keep track of program files for students so we dont lose the files, it runs in the background at all times to see if the files on the main website are updated and need to be redownloaded for my program files

and the nvidia auto update page on their website says i have the most up to date drivers for my gpu. 177 may be for vista or mobile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:05 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well it's not good to have a fluctuating voltage, but cpu-z is buggy with voltage, you should try what i told you and see if that stops.

SQL is a database server.

That debug version can be turned off via the Directx Control Panel.

177.83_geforce_winxp_32bit_international_whql.exe is the latest drivers for you which can be downloaded from nvidia here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/force_within_us.html (click download power packs)

tortoise slows you down more then it helps you, but if it's a requirement then there's nothing you can do.

You should try these things and see if there's an improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:37 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

now that i think bout it i believe sql came with tortoise, not sure though, but i never picked it up by itself and never had any other server software, so i think it came with tortoise

the power pack if i read it right says it just adds physx acceleration to the card, cause when i do auto and manual searchs, still brings up 175

no idea how to mess with the dxdiag, i dont see a button for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:42 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

dude.... lol you are one tough cookie huh. nvm about all i said, i guess i shouldn't have wasted my time with this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:33 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

i have been called the most stubborn person ever met, by alot of people ;)

just trying to fill in teh missing info as you suggest or ask it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

i got the powerpack and some of those free games with it.

warmonger keeps crashing my computer, halfway thru the second 15min match the game either crashes to windows or gets bsod and crashes the pc and not to sure why off the top of my head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:57 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

Your video card is running at 141 degrees Fahrenheit. This is bad and you should feel bad.

Also this:
Quote:
I see a couple things that could be decreasing performance, but it's not likely to be a hardware (video card) issue.

2) Your CPU speed is 2.13Ghz and it's showing 1.806Ghz, your cpu may be slowing down when it's not supposed to. Turning off (Disabled) Thermal Monitor, C1E Function, Virtualization Technology in bios will help your cpu keep a steady voltage and speed (the healthy way).
3) You are running the debug version of d3d9d.dll, it may help to disable the debug version via DirectX Control Panel.
4) Microsoft SQL Server is a memory hog even if you don't have a large database running.
5) nTune is known to cause problems and errors, sometimes major conflicts. (personal experience with my abit in9 32-max motherboard, when i got rid of nTunes completly all my problems went away)

Might not be anything to do with what i said but it's worth to check and see, i know some of these don't automatically start with windows (e.i. tortoise, sql stuff) but it's worth a check. Other minor thing is Fraps running, i like it as a fps display but it sucks when you press the record video shortcut (fps drops 10~30). Riva Tuner has some tricky settings that can cause bogus video problems as well, but safe(r) for the most part.

The best opinion i have for you is to install xp pro w/ sp3, i never liked home or media center editions of xp... I guess that's just me though but usually these little things i do bring stability to the systems i build so it might help i guess. I don't know much but it really doesn't seem to be a hardware (video card) issue to me.

Good information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:56 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Quote:
Your video card is running at 141 degrees Fahrenheit. This is bad and you should feel bad.
Quote:

what does that first one mean? my card runs at 40 degrees, under load goes to 60, the graphics card doesnt crash til about 70~. i have pushed my card hard and seen it crash in 3dmark06, the monitor went black but the pc kept running.

this is not whats happening to warmonger. warmonger just crashes itself or my pc.

and ive already explained everything in the second quote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:46 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Temp: 61c = ~141f

Anyway i don't wanna get into this subject again since my efforts were easly discharged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:40 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Quote:
Dont worry about the GPU temps, the fans got unplugged to lazy to plug them back in so not as cool as they could be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:02 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

You do know that your computer monitors heat sensors and act depending on what they relay right? I'm sure you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:09 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

Masterg wrote:
Quote:
Dont worry about the GPU temps, the fans got unplugged to lazy to plug them back in so not as cool as they could be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:20 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

if the graphics card overheated and caused my game to shut down how was i able to view the BSOD?

the first time, the game crashed and i sent the error report then just went back to ffxi, second time my pc went to bsod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:34 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

BSOD halts the system before it can potentially harm the hardware, think of it like a fuse or circuit breaker. Not saying it is because of overheat, but sensors are there for a reason, monitoring software/hardware need them to fuction correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:34 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

when i first got my arctic cooler for my 8800gt i overclocked it and watched it crash during 3dmark06 and when it did the pc ran fine but the picture went out. thats when it got overheated and shut down. when i restarted pc and opened rivatuner the gpu was still cooling down, it was hot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:04 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

played for nearly 2hrs last night w/o it crashing, maybe it just needed a good pc boot

Board index » Community » Community Discussion