It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: A Day At the Store...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:02 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Ok here is how my day began

So I heard when I went to pick up my reserve of SFIV Tuesday that "ye olde Gamestop" was having a tournament in my area. I was like cool, yea sure, I'll sign up (and get my butt whipped) but what the heck, other than my 8:00 - 12 pm math class maybe it'd be just the thing I need to fill up most of my afternoon. I mean, I'd just probably go home and play it anyway...right?

So all this week...a few of people I party chatted with heard me online practicing up and just kind of messing around...so Saturday arrives. I walk into the tournament, where a lot (AND I DO MEAN A LOT - like 50 signups) of people got eliminated by not showing up. Our Gamestop had about 20 participants or close to it.

The rules were gay!!!

Rules

- Default characters only
- No controller configs - meaning default controller settings!!! GAH!
- standard default XBox 360 controller (so store controllers)
- your side you fought on (left or right) was assigned...no choice.
- Whatever character you chose...you had to stick with for the remainder of the day. Meaning you had to do the entire tournament with just 1 character.
- battle set was a 5 match (so best 3 out of 5 rounds)

I deliberated...I was a bit clueless of who would be most effective of the people I was strongest at:
Ryu, Ken, Sagat, Bison (could be considered cheap), Chun Li (button masher dream but skilled opponent nightmare), or the new character C. Viper (really liking her :mrgreen: )

I chose this guy:

I had to play someone for the entire tournament it might as well be Sagat!

Big, fast, strong, and a fairly respectable player in tournaments. However, he is Tier S (the only character in his own Tier which is above above Tier A) in Rank according to a list of formidable characters in SFIV. Meaning Sagat, if played effectively, is virtually a BEAST! Plus I knew I could get his Ultras, specials and "ex" moves off fairly easy. I mean I wanted to win lol

So I go to this tournament...see 20 competitors...and...begin playing Sagat...with lousy default controller configurations... thinking I was in for a first round elimination...

Round 1 - Sagat vs. Ryu - classic matchup, managed to squak by. (Victory margin final: Me - 3, Opponent 2)

and...I keep playing and playing through the rounds against numerous opponents

The highlight was a 2-2 battle winner take all round ME - Sagat VS. Opponent - Zangief

Energy level was within "special attack" KO if it landed. both of our Ultras were charged and available.

Zangief, being the ever pesky grabber...

Initiated Zangief's Ultra "Ultimate Atomic Buster" right as I landed from a jump...the screen flashed...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSRYimJAIPU[/youtube]

GAME OVER?!?!?
NO! Thinking fast I initiated Sagat's Ultra "Tiger Destruction"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bECrXUfhPGk[/youtube]

A ROAR erupted from the onlookers followed by laughs and cries as Zangief walked right into his demise...it was the type of fighting people know, love, and remember about this game. That was my best moment...

EXCEPT - I kept playing...

And winning...

and...

MONEY B!@*H3S!

I WON!!!

I am now current Gamestop store champ of SFIV from my store.

I was all excited and shaking with adrenaline I could barely sign my name and life away on the winning contract/contact information thinking I got the fancy controller

but...

Instead...all I got was these gay-ass wristbands and a bandana... :roll:

It would seem I misread the back of the tournament flyer...

So in order to at least win the decently prized 360 Street Fighter controller...

BUT I WANT THE REALLY NICE ONE!!!

I must win district...Gamestop is cheap.

The thing is, I don't consider myself a great player, I have played in the ranked online matches and even some regular player battles and gotten destroyed by people. I think nerves and some of the rules hindered a few opponents but the verdict remains: I am a Store Champion (at least in my area). I move on to the second District round so now I must TRAIN! 8-)

And here is my nice poster invitation and proof I am a living store legend in my area YAY!

Thanks to Yarr, Viviti and all you other CKD SFIV fans!!!

- Supafly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:28 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

Hey Gratz. I remember the not nearly as impressive time I won the Pokemon Diamond/pearl tournament at the local game stop. Epic opponents like the 8 year old using nothing but Eevee.

I think i won a copy of Pokemon Battle Revolution which I immediately traded in for 25 bucks towards something better, and a tshirt which i gave to the 8 year old.

Two of my friends are /were managers of Gamestops and those tournaments are generally huge pains in the asses to manage hence the tendency to lame rules just to speed thigns up and get everyone out of their store quicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:32 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

seriously vurin.pokemon lol

Fuck you hahahah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:32 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Supa.. I'm getting the game very soon in the mail. We must play

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:17 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

Mikey wrote:
seriously vurin.pokemon lol

Fuck you hahahah

I guess I could have told the time I won a sony handycam from an Everquest 2 tournament but that took place in vegas not at a GametStop.

But no really I was really good at Pokemon. I'd tell all about my Choice Scarf Togekiss but you'd have to have a certain amount of expertise before it made any sense.

Fun story continued. So after winning the gamestop tournament I went over to the "Ebgames" in the Mall running the same tournament. my roommate was the manager was running it there, and he challenged me to a match. Up to this point I was the undisputed champion over like half dozen of our friends all of whom played pokemon relatively seriously and my record was 57 and 3 with those 3 losses happening early in my career and two of them to the same guy who wound up the runner up in the tournament I won.

So my roommate challenges me, and we've battled numerous times, and while its usually close he's never won. I make a mistake early on and lose a pokemon unexpectedly. So the match progresses and it comes down to our last pokemon. His Jolteon has a sliver of HP, and my Togekiss has never been bested in speed. It should be a sure thing for me. Little did I know that he had been training in secret and that this was a NEW Jolteon trained for speed, having a +10% speed nature, and using the same choice scarf as my pokemon for +50% speed.

We select our moves I'm supremely confident only to have Jolteon go first and OHKO my togekiss, and securing my roommate the victory.

We never played pokemon again.

I ended my career with a horrifying upset, and the young padawan whom I had painstakingly taught everything I knew came from behind to finally surpass me and claim the pinnacle for all time. I could have beaten him by optimizing my team a bit but it was too much effort, and even if I had he would have refused to battle me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:37 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

nice!

which gamestop were you at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:43 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

haha that was an awesome read supafly. I just picked up SF4 yesterday but havent played it much, Ive been really sick the last week haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:29 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Well get well, YARR :)

The gamestop in Snellville, GA

District 2 tournament or whatever its called is played at the Loganville this Saturday. It is about 20 minutes from where I am now so its not too bad. It's good I'm not working Saturdays, just school in the mornings.

The thing is I seriously expected to lose but I just kept winning and winning. I just went for something to do and was hoping to see some awesomeness like:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cW2nMf1gk&feature=related[/youtube]

I've seen some Daigo youtubes (as well as some of the other names) on SFIV and yea....WOW!

There were some interesting moments but that Zangief UC being bested by mine was up there among them. Felt cool to be so nerdy lol.

My first impression on SFIV was it was fast, I mean seriously fast, Zangief (who I never thought was all that great), became a seriously useful option due to this game. He can banish fist like no one's business to get across the screen quickly and grab and piledrive away.

I was like, whoa, this game is fast! It made SF interesting again. The new Focus attack adds a whole new element to the game. It opens up a lot of doors to new styles of playing. Being a long-time fan of Street Fighter, I'm glad I ended up purchasing this game.

The game is by no means easy. I remember playing through story mode 1 round on easiest setting in order to unlock everyone quickly and actually losing a few rounds.

Seth is the equivalent to the crazy computer cheapness of Tekken 5's Jinpachi. That guy made me cuss the screen a few times as I just couldn't seem to get past him, espicially when I was using characters that I was weaker playing to finish the game.

The game disgruntled me, I hated it...now, I love it again lol. Some of the training, survival and challenge modes I doubt I'll ever unlock, but some of those costumes in the game are insane. I saw a daigo youtube and was like whoa! Ryu has a costume like that?!?!?

It was a fun day and it was fun playing and I look foward to getting beat in the next finals because I feel that I probably should be lol. The online play has proven this. I would probably say I'm a bit above average at the game but nowhere near pro. Which is cool because I'm really casual with games now for the most part anyway lol. If you see me online, add my gamertag and we'll have a go a few rounds or I'll add yours.

I am also looking foward to Halo Wars. I have played the demo on Skirmish like no one's business! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:33 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i went to a street fighter 4 party with casual players and i was 14-1, the one loss being really close. but online i get stomped (i'm like 4-10). probably because i have never tried a super or ultra move.

all the players online are japanese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:23 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

lol suprise Vurin attack! AWESOME!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:08 am 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

wow, congrats on your win yarr, that sounds like fun. i haven't even touched this yet.~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:46 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

Yarr wrote:
lol suprise Vurin attack! AWESOME!

I lurk here fairly regularly... although I'm about to go on a 1 year deployment so I won't be around at all for a while. And it seems liek I'm tryign really hard to derail this thread > >

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 am 
". . ."
". . ."

Hahaha, very nice man.

I drove down to San Antonio to visit my girlfriend on Saturday (She works at one of the gamestops holding the tourny) but I got there really late because of traffic so I didn't get to enter.

Sadly enough, the guy who did win earlier showed back up and I beat him over and over again with El Fuerte. Dissapointing!

Also, I love El Fuerte, just because whenever you have it set to Japanese language, his ultra sounds like he screams "FLYYYYIIIINGGGGG DAD BOMB!!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:15 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Vivi does this mean your out of the tourny or you still got one more chance?

Game look awesome but I have to wait until after the move then I can get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:30 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Parade wrote:
wow, congrats on your win yarr, that sounds like fun. i haven't even touched this yet.~

did yarr win something ? ;p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:42 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Whisp wrote:
Parade wrote:

No thats just ike paying little attention to whats actually going on and simply typing yarr instead of supa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:47 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

ALso for the record, I thought supa was already on my xbl friend list. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:53 am 
". . ."
". . ."

Pantherxx wrote:
Vivi does this mean your out of the tourny or you still got one more chance?

Game look awesome but I have to wait until after the move then I can get it.

Well, I beat the winner, but I was late for the qualifying first round of the tournament, it was just an exhibition match, lol.

So sadly I'm not in the tournament. I'll definitely be hunting out for some more tournys soon though, my talent wont go unrewarded!

FLYING DAD BOMB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:43 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Some of you I had to remove because I never played any of you in games. I have added a few of you back in my friedns list. Vivi, you need to get online (I saw you have only a silver acct. atm) and get a few rounds in!!!

It'd be nice to play someone other than "total" strangers online. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am 

Supafly and Vivi,
what is your PS3 friends list name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:51 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

I'm on PS3, but it's my friends console. Don't have it for 360 yet, debating if I want to pick it up for that or just buy my own PS3 when my friend wants his back, lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:25 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Supafly wrote:
Some of you I had to remove because I never played any of you in games. I have added a few of you back in my friedns list. Vivi, you need to get online (I saw you have only a silver acct. atm) and get a few rounds in!!!

YOU REMOVED ME YOU COCK!?
What the hell man. I don't remove people. Just in case i'd like to speak to them.

I"M NEVER FORGIVING YOU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:54 pm 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

Mikey wrote:
Whisp wrote:
Parade wrote:

No thats just ike paying little attention to whats actually going on and simply typing yarr instead of supa

my bad, thanks mikey, for playing lifeguard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:36 pm 

Mikey wrote:
Supafly wrote:

YOU REMOVED ME YOU COCK!?
What the hell man. I don't remove people. Just in case i'd like to speak to them.

I"M NEVER FORGIVING YOU.

LOLZ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:44 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

lol Mikey.

Board index » Community » Community Discussion