It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: RIP Myskhal
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:38 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

As some of you have heard, Sandy "Myskhal" Scharding passed away this weekend. Here is her obituary:
Quote:
Sandra Nichole “Sandy” Scharding
Age 29, of Bethel Park, passed away after a courageous battle with Cystic Fibrosis on Friday, May 13, 2011. Loving Daughter of Sarah Scharding; Stepdaughter of Jack David Horne; Stepsister of Samantha Horne; Cherished Granddaughter of the late Eva & Donald Scharding; Niece of Catherine, Albert & Andrew Scharding; Great-Niece of Rose Lazur and Andrew Noll. Sandy graduated in 1999 from Bethel Park High School and went on to graduate from the University of Pittsburgh with a Bachelor’s degree in Natural Science.

Sandy was passionate and actively involved in quality improvement activities at the local Adult CF Center as well as at a national level within the Adult CF Quality Improvement Initiative. She contributed to the CF Center newsletter and spoke at the CF Foundation QI meeting in Baltimore, MD. Sandy was an upfront leader and champion of patient-driven care; she developed a tool to help empower other patients to guide their clinic discussions and contributed to the development of "About Me," a tool now used internationally to help CF healthcare professionals and people with CF establish a deeper and more meaningful relationship as they partnered together in the journey of care.

Funeral arrangements by BEINHAUERS. Friends welcome at 2828 Washington Rd. McMurray 724-941-3211 on Sunday 2-9PM and Monday 10-10:30AM. A Funeral Service will be held at St. David's Anglican Church on Monday at 11AM. Interment will be in Forest Lawn Gardens. Memorial contributions may be made to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, In Memory of Sandy Scharding, 810 River Blvd., Suite 100, Pittsburgh, PA 15212.

I've spent the last few days digging through all her old forum posts, my AIM chat logs, and FFXI screenshots reminiscing. There are so many thoughts and feelings shooting around in my head right now, so I'm just going to ramble for a bit
Spoiler: show
Mys was one of my first and longest FFXI friends. She randomly joined me and some LSMates for an XP party, but one party was all it took for us to fall for her. She joined our LS that day, and became a major part of my life for a long time. Partying in game, chatting outside of game. She had a sense of humor that made me want to just keep talking as much as I could. For awhile there she was one of the closest friends I had.

And I know there are many of you who enjoyed playing with her as well. Mys never minded helping other people, never giving a fuck about LS drama. When CKD was struggling with their first Nidhogg kill, she happily went out of her way to join me in helping them out. She rarely missed a cheezburgers dynamis run. Even when I left for CKD, we still chatted frequently. When I quit FFXI, she was the first person I offered all my gear/money to.

Unfortunately, once I left FFXI, I found myself talking to her less and less. Over the past few years we've hardly spoken. I frequently saw her name on my buddy lists, but I just never had anything to say. And now its unfortunately too late.

Mys, I wish I could've told you exactly how much you meant to me. I'm sorry I kept myself such a stranger these past years. But I know you're at peace now, probably looking down and making fun of me for being so sentimental but too cheap to buy any tissues :) I'll always remember the great times we had, and I look forward to the day we meet again.

James "Corwench" Horst

Attachment:
File comment: Myskhal's Noble Tunic
corwin423.jpg
corwin423.jpg [ 174.19 KiB | Viewed 3155 times ]

Post subject: Re: RIP Myskhal
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:39 am 

I'm afraid I'm a bit tired now, but going through ~1200 screenshots, I've picked out some of my favorite Mys-related ones. I'll be back later to share some of them.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:59 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

wow, so sorry to hear that :(

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I never knew her, but she sounded like a wonderful person.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:39 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

I remember Mysk...so yea, I got chills hearing the news. ; ;

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:15 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

NOOOOOO! This makes me very sad. I was good friends with Myskhal in FFXI and spent a lot of time playing with her. Whether it was exploring, duoing easy NMs, or helping her farm for cooking mats. She helped me with several NMs, zilart missions, coffer keys, and other things when I was a noob. She was one of the nicest people I met in FFXI and was an amazing person.

We e-mailed eachother and stayed in contact outside of FFXI a little, but I haven't talked to her in years. Very recently my facebook suggested I add her as a friend because she was in my yahoo contacts. I meant to add her and catch up, but never did. I am very sad to hear all this. I will try and find screenshots of Mys and Kluya when I get home. I'm sure I have some on my home PC.

This is so depressing...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:24 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

myskhal was one of my earliest friends in ffxi. I remember her being the first person who ever gave me a free teleport (was tele-dem). Much like corwin, i'd spoken to her less and less over time and actually just a month ago found myself wanting to aim her but decided not to. always helpful. RIP myskhal. you will be missed

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:59 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

So young =( In the spirit of your original post, corwin, I'm going to contact a loved one that I've lost touch with. Myskhal won't be forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

I remember seeing this char before and I am sorry to hear what happen. Man when you get a large group or work for huge job you hear a lot of things even death.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:25 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Its a shame. I wasnt too close with Myskhal, but I was always happy to see her sign up for Dynamis as she was one of the good healers I could put in one of the tougher groups. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:58 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I remember Myskhal from around ff11, she always seemed like a nice person and a good player. I had no idea that she had such a tragic disease. It's very sad to remember her has the whitemage healing and taking care of everyone but couldn't turn that magic onto herself irl.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:23 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I didnt think of the sad irony there Kio. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:11 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Bleh I don't want to ramble and end up getting too emo and personal here but I might. I'm fullly heartbroken though. Sandy was basically my closest friend for the past...6 or 7 years I guess. Other friends I just joke around with, it's hard to talk about anything serious with them. I could talk to her about absolutely anything though. She was always a great friend to me, would give me advice, help me out any way she could with my own stupid real life dilemmas. All while dealing with her own shit. Hell, she was a huge part of me getting my own life back on track, she could actually kick me in the ass enough to make me move forward. She wanted to see me get my shit together so badly. I'm getting there but I'm so upset with myself for not being able to do it in time. Absolutely the greatest and most caring friend I've ever had.

Only a handful of people from FFXI knew that she had CF. She didn't really like to announce that to people she didn't know really well and talk to a lot outside the game.

Btw don't look up cystic fibrosis unless you want to be more depressed. Horrible horrible disease. 29 is actually...old, most can't even fight against it that long. Some people get to have a normal life for some of their early years, but basically everyone dies very young.

Fuck CF, fucking fuck fuck alfkjeljkawerjkl

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:36 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

RIP Sandy you will be missed :(

Attachments:
Klu041031023829a.jpg
Klu041031023829a.jpg [ 84.09 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]

Last edited by Kluya on Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:38 pm 

:(
Attachment:
Mysboo.jpg
Mysboo.jpg [ 11.6 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]

I'm always impressed when Yarr admits to liking someone, I had to take a screenshot

Attachment:
Mysyarr.jpg
Mysyarr.jpg [ 58.6 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:56 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Well, I tried typing a reply at work via my phone but it fucked up so I gave up and waited until I could do it when I got home, so here goes.

Mysk was always cool to everyone, and I'm pretty sure that everyone she came in contact with in FFXI liked her and knew how good of a player she was. I remember that she used to run to obscure places to raise my retarded ass because I was off somewhere soloing and died and would be crying for a raise.

Anyway, this really fucking sucks, and it's a huge shock when someone this young passes away. It reminds me of when I read about Shiloh, which was another huge shock. I really don't know what else to say at this time other than she will definitely be missed, and I hope those that were close to her can find solace in the fact that she was both a nice person and an awesome player.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:04 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

and... I just looked up CF. I have no idea how Mysk could have lived with that for so long and be so humble about it by not complaining to anyone and keeping it a secret except to a select few. She's stronger than I could ever be.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 pm 

Guys there is one thing sandy got to do is play any Video games with us, just not to worry about what she had got Stronger being with us to the end.

Now that is true Friendship!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:01 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

damn I knew her. This sucks to hear :(

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:19 pm 
Fishwader Miramblix
Fishwader Miramblix

I'm so sorry to see this. My heart goes out to her friends and family.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:13 am 

So, apparently May is the Cystic Fibrosis Awareness month. There's lots of stuff going on, plenty of things to buy and donate to.

I realize most people probably don't have the money for that kind of stuff though, so I'm going to break my rule of never using Facebook and ask that people at least Like this page, as they're donating to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation for every Like they receive this month:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-In-O ... 6149124225

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:19 am 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

I had no idea she was dealing with that ...

Edit: I found out that her family has a 'preferred charity' they listed at her service. This would be another place to make a contribution if you're feeling generous. I know not a lot of us are well off but here it is:

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Western PA Chapter
https://www.cff.org/Chapters/wpa/general/index.cfm

I'll have to make a contribution when I can get home today. It's the very least I can do to pay some respect to such a gracious human being.

Attachments:
group_shot.jpg
group_shot.jpg [ 110.53 KiB | Viewed 3020 times ]
ls_group_shot.jpg
ls_group_shot.jpg [ 88.27 KiB | Viewed 3020 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:52 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

lol corwin. Its true, I may like a few people, but admitting that is something thats pretty rare. haha.

Board index » Community » Community Discussion