It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: NINJA EDITING THIS TOPIC SO KET SEES Calling all tech geeks~
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Ok so Madi can't take his giant ass desktop to Japan unfortunately so I need the expert CKD thumbs up for a laptop. What I found after fiddling around in websites was this bitch from HP. Before I built my latest computer I had the same HP for like 6 years with no issues, so i'm kind of fond of HP. I wanted an alienware from DELL but they seem extremely stupidly overpriced for the crappy shit they sold. This comp i'd get from HP is 1300$, I couldn't find anything cooler. If there's issues with what you see or if someone has better recommendations please let me know!

2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz

2GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]

8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

750GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection (this came free, I couldn't downgrade)

17.3" diagonal Full HD HP Anti-glare LED Display (1920 x 1080)

Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner (Came free lol, shame I don't buy blu-rays. . or any movies for that matter lol)

TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader (came free, and yes a fucking fingerprint scanner bitches, i'm gonna be like a spy)

What ya'll nerds think? I really don't know much about these mobile graphics cards and processors so. . .I don't know if this is good tbh

Last edited by Madisonli on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: RIDEEEE ZEEE SHUUUPUFFF??? Calling all tech geeks~
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:05 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

What's your goal with the laptop? Play FFXIV? General gaming? Lighter gaming? Internet?

As someone who's used a few "gaming laptops", in all honesty I would always recommend you stay away from a laptop for gaming at all costs unless you seriously have no other way, there's just too many downsides:

1) Cost. You'll pay through the nose for something a desktop could do for a fraction of the price.

2) Bulk. Powerful laptops are really really heavy, I had to carry one over my shoulder to and from university for 2 years. A gaming laptop isn't exactly as "portable" as you'd think. So why is it a laptop exactly?

3) Heat. They get hot, really really hot. You're not going to be using it in your lap nor on your bed because it'll overheat from you blocking the vents and you're going to get burns on your legs. Despite being a "laptop" it's going to be permanently affixed to a desk somewhere.

4) Life. While a good desktop can last over 5 years, a laptop has a much shorter lifespan. It'll be barely 1-2 years before it'll feel old and outdated. Heck some stuff just wont play as good as on a desktop right off the bat and it'll be all downhill from there. This wouldn't be a huge deal on it's own, but at the price you pay you'd expect longer.

If playing the latest 3D games isn't what you're after, you'll do yourself a big favor by getting a not-gaming specific laptop. There's nothing to stop you getting a decent/powerful normal laptop. And heck, if your goals are simply internet and occasional work, you might be better off with a decent netbook instead. And if you can't take a desktop to Japan, perhaps you could buy one once you're there, I have no idea how much that'd cost.

If playing stuff like FFXIV is your goal, and there's really no way other than a laptop, then so be it. But I just wanted to make sure you consider any alternatives first.

But to answer your question, since I've sworn off the things I really don't know how good that laptop is. The graphics card is usually what holds laptops back, so I would consider looking around all the various laptops paying attention only to what graphics card it has and then weigh the other specs in later.

The tried and true method I've found so far for seeing how well games run on various laptops is to punch the name of the chip (in this case: 6770M) into Youtube. There will almost always be someone showing off Crysis or something on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QMA8GTA2_s

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:21 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Goal: hardcore gaming duh :p did you think I wasn't going to play MMO just because i'm in diff country? lol

Cost: Not an issue

Bulk: This laptop will function as a desktop replacement. It will not be taken with me anywhere except rare occasions (like the flight to Japan). My apt will be too small to have a gaming desktop with suitable monitor.

Heat: Yeah, do you have any recommendations to help with that? Maybe like a laptop fan or something I dunno if they are useful, heating up so hot can't be good for the computer. . .although as stated above it will have a almost-permanent spot somewhere in my apartment.

Life: yeah that pretty much sucks

ty for the input ket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:04 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

The laptop won't have a big problem with heat to begin with, but the moment it starts filling up with dust you'll start having lots of problems. A normal computer you can just take apart and clean, a laptop you won't be able to (easily).

Get a can of compressed air (dunno what the rules for taking it on an aircraft is, you might have to buy some there) and use it to keep the vents free of dust, even just blowing the dust out once a month would be enough.

I had one of these laptops and I left it about 12-18 months without cleaning the dust, the laptop was getting so hot I couldn't even touch the keyboard anymore, and it was making the room itself unbearably hot while it was on. I had no choice but to take it apart and clean it at this point, but it could have been avoided if I'd just blasted it with a can a lot beforehand.

That won't change the fact that the laptop will still get relatively hot while in use. It probably has fans inside already that automatically get faster as the laptop gets hotter. Instead of just heat you'll have noise from the fans to complain about. But by keeping the vents clean it at least wont get worse as time goes on. There's not a whole lot you can do about this other than hope they got better at it since I last bought a laptop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:32 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

I go through compressed air like a fat chick eat chocolate :x Its actually a bad OCD tic I developed, I spray over my keyboard, mouse, inside my comp and such at least a few times a week, and when i'm stressed out, if I imagine myself spraying my electronics with the compressed air it relaxes me; yes folks Madi got even weirder.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:36 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I missed something, what are you doing in Japan? I am so jealous you are going to live there. How long are you staying? Thread de-rail time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:22 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ridere's Asus Laptop is cool looking and runs FFXIV like it was notepad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:55 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol...

Not quite, but it's pretty solid, for being a 1k laptop. It was Asus G73JH, or something. And they had a few models of it, to which I think I bought one of the less-powerful ones. It was at Best Buy for around a thousand bucks.

There are better laptops, but they start getting into that super expensive, super fast area. I also got a pretty rocking laptop chill pad. But it was like my 3rd one to buy. It has proven to be best so far, though. The rest would have noisy/clicky fans not too long after use.

But yah, the game runs FF14 decently, and it runs other games pretty good. But it's no desktop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:04 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

tehkei wrote:
Ridere's Asus Laptop is cool looking and runs FFXIV like it was notepad.

My netbook ran FFXIV like it was Notepad, too.

Attachment:
File comment: FFXIVpad
notepad.jpg
notepad.jpg [ 136.49 KiB | Viewed 5637 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:28 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

The one I posted above i'm thinking is the best bet for me (plus i'm uberly excited about the fingerprint scanner) and its only $1300. This is alot of money sure but the same config from shitty ass DELL alienware is 2k+ so, I'm happy with it.

Rid do you have any suggestions for a cooler pad? I think I need to get one because this laptop is gonna get hot >< They look cheap on amazon but I have no idea which to pick haha

And Klu I was hired a month ago by a company that sends English teachers to Japan, but I just sent them my Uni documents (updated transcripts and diploma etc.) last week because my Uni is slow and annoying, so the company is still in the process of getting me my work visa processed and placing me in a school.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:40 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

hey madi If I come over there would you let me crash your place for while until I go home?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:15 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Madi, my 3rd chill plate is this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+-+La ... Id=9427042

It's large enough for my big laptop, and it's set up in a way where the top and bottom part of the fans don't receive pressure at the same time. It's angled to not allow that.

That being said, bestbuy.com apparently has quite a lot of them. (I just walked into the store and picked one out). There seems to be lots of fancy ones out there. Either way, though, I'd make sure it's angled, so that youd don't have both the laptop pressing on the top of the fan(s), and the table/whatever pressing on the bottom of the fan.

If that makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:35 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Madisonli wrote:
And Klu I was hired a month ago by a company that sends English teachers to Japan, but I just sent them my Uni documents (updated transcripts and diploma etc.) last week because my Uni is slow and annoying, so the company is still in the process of getting me my work visa processed and placing me in a school.

That is so friggin awesome!! I can't wait to hear about it. I'm happy for you Madi.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:31 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Finally got my laptop a few days ago and setting everything up, its fucking amazing and the fingerprint scanner works like a charm, I can set it to log onto anything I want (programs websites etc) with the scanner too. Anyways I am annoyed by the GPU though, I never used Radeon before so that's the only issue i'm having.

Can anyone tell me why the xiv config won't recognize a multisampling setting higher than x4? I loaded up the game on my usual settings and got no lag at all, I just want the multisampling to atleast x8. Btw for those who don't know, point showed me an app for my laptop to play xiv in psuedo fullscreen mode and it works like a charm ( so u can alt tab ). I needed it to make xiv look big and nice on my laptop :).

http://aikar.co/ff14windower.html

Anyways please give me reccomendations on what fucking settings to use in my catalyst control center cuz I have no fucking clue and I want multisampling higher than x4 ><

Post subject: Re: NINJA EDITING THIS TOPIC SO KET SEES Calling all tech ge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I never use Radeon for pretty much this exact reason. The cards and their performance are fine, but the drivers and especially the Catalyst Control Center are absolute shite, imo. Admittedly, I've not used one in years now because of it but it doesn't sound like they got a whole lot better.

Its entirely possible the chip simply can't be set that high (it's just a mobile (M) chipset afterall, it's not the real thing), but I can't find any evidence on Google to suggest that. I'm afraid you'll need to find a Radeon expert. My area's nVidia.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:07 pm 

My area's nVidia as well and I used to have Radeon before but they are crap to me and I never went back to them anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think that's funny because I won't use an nVidia card.

Madi, your card doesn't have the ability to go higher than 4 like Ket set. I can set my cards to 8x if I wanted to.

What resolution do you run the game at? I keep it set to 2x cuz I can't stand the stuttering.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:47 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

That doesn't make sense. If my card was a really crappy card i'd imagine that to be the case, but considering in the Catalyst control center I could FORCE XIV to be played at 8 AA and 16 AF, I think its some weird issue that is making xiv not recognize higher than x4 in the config. I could be wrong because I know nothing about Radeon nor the stupid control center, but I just gave up and am forcing the settings I want through the catalyst control center for now.

edit: im at 1920x1080. What kind of stuttering? I don't get any normal laggy type stuttering or low FPS, but I notice the mouse flickers abit but I thought that was due to my windower

edit again: hm the GPU is definitly not as good as I thought it was when i bought it, the one krellis got is much better /cry according to a list I saw, however I still dont understand why i can force the settings i want through the control center but they don't show up in xiv's native config- that really is my ultimate question tbh

Last edited by Madisonli on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Just because you're forcing it, are you sure it's doing it? Take screenshots of the game "forced" to 8x vs just running at 4x with no forcing.

I can "force" FFXIV to use VSync, but it sure as hell doesn't do it. FFXIV screen tears like mad for me meaning VSync isnt enabled, despite me "forcing" it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:53 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Regardless of it working or not working in XIV, why would the control center let me apply the option if it wasn't a capability of my GPU? For instance I have an option called morphological filtering that my friend doesn't have access to (because its not a capability of his GPU). Whether or not me forcing these options onto xiv is working or not, the GPU has the capability to go to x8 but xiv won't let me do it natively. I'm by no means a comp techie but it just seems like common sense there's something going on there. Anyways after more fiddling, I can't tell a difference between the x8 and the x4 on my big PC after fooling with it (I couldn't tell a difference on my laptop either) so I just keep it at x4 now via the xiv config, but this issue still annoys me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:53 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

OK Ket sounds like hes raping a computer.

Board index » Community » Community Discussion