It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: Favorite Movies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:45 pm 
Spoiler: User Is Not Really a Princess

Some of mine are:

Vanilla Sky

Clueless

Last of the Mohikans

Usual Suspects

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:03 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Fight Club

Kill Bill vol. 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:33 pm 

I have Fight Club in my staff picks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:27 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Moulin Rouge

Star Wars

Princess Mononoke

Jurassic Park

Fox and the Hound

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:47 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

FIGHT CLUB!!!

and pokemon.....lol......jk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:10 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Suuuure you are joking Zoth. I bet you have all the Pokemon movies on dvd in your room. Go level your Drg already :P.

Princess Mononoke for me.

BTW. Hello people. Just passing by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:18 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Zoth puts on his pokemon cap and turns it backwards, just like Ash... lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:48 am 
". . ."
". . ."

hmm...

Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Frailty
Suicide Club (Japanese)
Adrenaline Drive (Japanese)
The Night of the Living Dead series (The original 3 plus the new remake)
thats bout it...the rest are anime ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:20 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

bottle rocket
existenz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:00 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

American Beauty

Fight Club

American History X

Chasing Amy

Se7en

Mallrats

Dunno, lots more. I just got back from my senior party and it's 5AM, blegh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:36 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Come on!

Jurassic Park is a classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:29 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Evil Dead Series
Animal House
Airplane
Die Hard
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes Series :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:08 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I really hate picking a favorite movie. Theres just so many that I like.

I will sit down and watch just about Anything. Since I date Princess I have to watch some really stupid movies. Shes big move buff, its the only reason I can play FFXI so much. She sits and watchs movies while I pretend to watch them and play FFXI.

Personally I like movies that really draw me into them. Suspense Movies with little special effects are my favorites. That why I love M. Night Shyamalan movies so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:19 am 
Will Rant for Gil

I don't watch that many movies lately. A lot of them out recently are all about the effects and have no story to them (or the story sucks and is extremely undeveloped).

I think the movies I really like are:
- Dumb & Dumber (the first one. Never saw the second, heard it sucks, and it doesn't have the original stars. /fume)
- Daredevil
- Spiderman (see a trend here? lol... anyway...)
ehhh..

That's all I can think of off hand that I *really* liked. I'll watch any kind of movies mostly... as long as it's got a good story line I like, I'll sit through a few lame effects. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:30 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I really like Modern B movies. Movies that feed off some stupid pop craze or what ever is "hot" atm. Its kind of a guilty pleasure Princess and I have. We just saw "Day After Tomorrow". Its a perfect example... over done special effects, bad story, horrible continuity(s?), plot holes, unresolved problems in the story and more!

Its so bad its good. I love going to a movie then talking about all the things that were wrong with it.

Although I thought the cast of that movie was great and the acting was well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:41 am 
Will Rant for Gil

I heard that movie really sucked. But I never saw it (wonder why, hear something sucks and still go? lol) Anyway, I love the effects in a lot of movies. But if it has no story to it at all, it tends to lose interest after a while.

On the other hand, Dumb and Dumber... It was incredibly stupid. I mean, really:
"My pet parakeet Petey..."
"Yeah?"
"His head fell off!"
"His head fell off?!"
"Yeah, he was pretty old...."

How stupid do you have to be to think your pet's head is just gonna fall off when he gets old and kicks it... But it's hilarious to see such stupidity. It *did* have somewhat of a story line. But in most comedies, if it's funny enough, story is irrelevant. Maybe that's why I like them more than most movies that have been out lately.... *shrugs*

I do like to go picking at movies and say "Well, that's dumb, that could never happen IRL..." A friend of mine and I have a saying for that: "But it's in the script!" Doesn't matter how stupid or impossible something is, if it's in the script, that's what happens. And such a good saying it is. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:45 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Dumb and Dumber was possibly the best movie ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:58 am 
Will Rant for Gil

That was one of the first movies I ever got on DVD .. I love it

The thing I hate the most though, is when they play Dumb & Dumber on TV. Because of all the censorship bullshit, they chop the hell out of the movie. One example, and the worst butchering a movie has taken in a long time:
The scene at the event in Aspen where they were at the Save the Owls thing...
When Harry is talking to Mary, and he says...
We once mated a Bulldog with a Shitzou....We called it a Bullshit.

They made it say "We called it a bull-shoot..." how the hell does that make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:59 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Hrm movies are a funny thing for me... I don't mind much if they are bad or good as long as it coincides with my expectations... Ok this apply more to bad movies than good movies really. I mean, if I go into a theater with knowledge that the movie I'm going to see borrows heavily from whatever breakthru movie came out and uses variatons from a technique that another good movie invented and countless movies copied afterwards and turned it into a really freaking annoying cliche, then I don't mind it being sucky or average, half the fun is making fun of the suckiness of it all... like that movie based on that arcade game that you shoot zombies (forgot name irl). I had to suck up that movie cause my friend needed to take care of his lil bro and lil bro wanted to see it, so nothing better to do than make fun of it... makes it 100 times more tolerable.

More recent example would be "Troy", I was expecting it to be some sort of Braveheart clone, something I could tolerate and perhaps enjoy. My friend on the other hand expected it to be a movie incarnation of "The Iliad", obviously he was very dissapointed (he wanted gods and a real epic like story). In short I enjoyed the movie and he thought it sucked donkey nuts (I'm not saying it's a really good movie, just enjoyable.)

Good thing about going into movies with sorta low expectations is that once in a while you see some low profile movie that you really really enjoy. What I hate most is hyping though... it seriously ruins my personal expectation system, best thing I can do is set my expectations a tad lower than what the hype leads you to believe. I still get dissapointed sometimes and because of all the BEST MOVIE EVAH hype it's hard to really appreciate when a movie is really good or it's just the hype making you think it's good :?

Ok on topic now :wink:
It's hard to choose one really. I like a lot of movies, old movies like "El Mariachi" are cool, "Fight Club" just ownzors, "Princess Mononoke" is a really sweet movie ( the tender and non dude-talk kind of sweet), Francis Ford Coppolas version of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" I enjoyed a lot because it has the best portrayal of Dracula I've ever seen, but the movie that seems to stand out for me is "The Princess Bride" cause it's funny, it has the awesomest characters evah, romance and really sweet (dude-talk sweet) fencing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:14 pm 

Quote:
I don't mind much if they are bad or good as long as it coincides with my expectations

I totally agree. When we went to see the Day After Tomorrow I wasn't expecting an Oscar worthy movie - just a cheesy, fun to watch, disaster movie. I can appreciate a Mandy Moore movie for what it is and enjoy it, but I'm not delusional enough to think it is an awesome cinematic achievement. With that being said...I loved Chasing Liberty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:25 pm 
Will Rant for Gil

Heh.. I understand that completely...
My main problem with that though, is the way the commercials are. They show off the best parts of the movie (if you want to call it that). I've seen some commercials make the movie look pretty awesome, funny, whatever they're aiming at. But for example, a lot of comedies anymore will be shit other than a few decent/good scenes. They play the good ones on commercial and advertise that the whole movie is hilarious. Of course, you go to the movie and find out that those were the best things it had to offer, and then you're SOL. That's $7 down the drain. 'WTF" is all I have to say on that. I can't stand when that happens.

I usually do one of several things:
- If it looks like it's going to be REALLY good, I go to the theatre (only go to theatre 3-5 times a year, if that). If its good in theatre, I make a special trip to WalMart at 12:01am the day it releases on DVD.
- Next step down, is the trip to WalMart the day it releases. Not at midnight, usually. But as soon as it's convenient.
- If it's not that great, I wait for it to come out and go rent it. If I like it, I might buy it. If not, screw it.
- The last level of "buy it" is typically waiting until it's 3-4 months old and buying it from WalMart once it gets put on the $10 shelf. Haha
Anything below that, I usually leave alone and don't bother. If I do see it, it's because a friend bought it and I was already at their house and we decide to watch it (not my money, right? lol)

Ehhh... I guess I could watch movies that suck and just make fun of them. But it's more fun to watch them, make fun of them, AND NOT HAVE PAID TO SEE IT....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:52 pm 

Since I work at a video store I can rent movies for free, so I end up getting a lot of movies that I wouldn't pay to see. Its actually a good thing because some movies that I end up really loving are things that I would never have seen if I had to pay to see it. But still, I would consider my time more valuable than my money, so there are still lots of movies I won't see even though they're free (re: You Got Served)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:55 pm 
Will Rant for Gil

Princess wrote:
Since I work at a video store I can rent movies for free

/envy...

I soooo wish I could get free movies sometimes. I have a friend that works at WalMart though. so I can get 10% off anything in the store if I can convince him to go with me. :D (errr.. shhh!!!!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:32 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Board index » Community » Community Discussion