It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: Tampa Bay Won the Stanely Cup
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:10 pm 
Spoiler: User Is Not Really a Princess

Well, I guess that's it for hockey this season. I'm sad. This years play-off sucked. I think they sucked just as much as last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:39 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

The Mighty Ducks should have stormed the ice with the flying V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:31 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

At least your arent Flordia now i fear for my life everyone running around celebrating that we won the stanley cup and i know there arent that many hockey fans in FL. well i am going to go bar my door to keep the drunk hockey fans out.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:58 am 
Will Rant for Gil

Tampa won.. haha
The sad thing is, they were losing in the finals too, up until the last 2 games they took it back. Damn that sucks....

Of course... I've always been a Pittsburgh fan myself (yep, I'm in TN...) The only NHL game I've gone to was Nashville Predators vs Pittsburgh. Of course, I wasn't cheering for Nashville (and everyone around me was... /sigh) I believe Nashville won that one. However, I still don't like 'em as much! /cry...

errr.. ok, back on topic, .. Damn that sucks.... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:19 am 

Do people in Florida watch hockey? Or is this like the first time they really got into it, just because Tampa was doing well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:24 am 
Will Rant for Gil

Everyone in the southern states is like that Princess:
They watch the final game of the Stanely Cup if their state's team is playing. Otherwise, no one cares. And if they lose? No one even remembers the next morning. In the north it's more like in Canada I'd imagine. My family is northerners. I'm the first Southern-born in the family, so I'm a little more into this hockey thing .. heh

Anyway, yeah... if they win in the finals, they throw a huge party because they won something. Big deal, because no one really knows why they're celebrating, it's just a good excuse to get drunk and run through the streets screaming without having people think you're crazy. :D

Haaahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:33 am 

That makes me sad. In Canada hockey is like religion. You watch the entire season. You stand by your team and actually believe they will win, even if they hadn't since 1967. If your star player doesn't score for a couple of games at the beginning of the season the media fries him and the whole city is looking to get rid of him...I miss hockey already.

If Montreal or Toronto would have won there would be mass chaos. I mean, after Toronto got past the first round there were big parties in Toronto, everyone was celebrating like crazy, and that's the first round! Toronto hasn't won the cup since 67, and still every game is sold out. Montreal hasn't won since 93, and same thing - every game is sold out.

Sorry to rant, but I still haven't dealt with the fact that neither of my teams got past the second round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:33 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

HEY i am not like that everyone else is its just like when the bucanears won the super bowl i dont like hockey so i dont care it just pisses me off how stupid the people are and i am like the only flordian seems to think this way which is why i have bar the door to my house and sealed the windows to escape from the retards outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:51 am 
Will Rant for Gil

lol @ Earlik .. nice post. See, that's exactly it. They're just celebrating cause it's a reason to get drunk and go running through the streets. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most people, especially in the South, don't care that much about hockey. But, I agree Princess, it should be a little bit more like that--people picking their favorite team and following them for years to come. But it won't happen around here for a long time.

I think a large part of it, especially here and Florida-like areas, is the climate. My dad always talks of playing hockey on the pond in the area when he was younger (remember, from up North in Massachusetts... I hate that word.. hehe). And it just doesn't get that cold around here. We really don't get frozen ponds, and when they do, it's not frozen through enough to play on. We really don't get that much snow/ice/freezing throughout our winter. I'm sure it's even warmer still in Florida winters; I'm in TN.

So the weather makes a big difference. Since it doesn't get cold enough to play it that much, I guess people just aren't as big of fans. I realize there's indoor places to Ice Skate and play hockey: I used to play when I was little. But it's just the idea of things, I suppose. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:18 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I really wanted Calgary to win. I deal with one of our Distribution Centres in Calgary. I fear calling them. Im afraid if I say the wrong thing it could cause a riot.

I am Honestly scared to see what would happen if Toronto won. This place goes crazy if they get past the first round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:18 am 

People here play streat hockey. Almost any streat with young kids on it plays streat hockey. It makes driving down the roads annoying though because half the time the don't even move their net, they just make you drive around it! I remember one women in the paper was villified because she was trying to get the kids to not play streat hockey infront of her house because the would hit their balls into her garden. Everyone thought she was just an unpatriotic mean bitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:29 am 
Will Rant for Gil

Princess wrote:
Everyone thought she was just an unpatriotic mean bitch!

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while...

Ehh. Yeah, I forgot all about playing in the street. I'm guilty of hitting the ball into a house or two. I know Dad hit one of the balls while at my grandparents' house once. It must have been a cold day or something, and the siding pretty old, because that piece of siding broke. There was a nice ball-shaped hole in the siding of their garage. Hahah

I played street hockey around the time I played ice hockey, usually during the summer off-season of ice hockey. I quit playing so much when the friend I played with moved away.

We used to have a local team to the southeast area. I think Tampa probably had a team in that league or whatever. We went to those team games, and they were frequently sold out, for a long time. But the team wanted a new facility to play at, and the City was not willing to build one. So they just went away, and that was it....

It sucks being in a place that doesn't give a flying f... about sports. We lost our Baseball team the same way--except it only moved 30-45 minutes away, the hockey team just vanished. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:49 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Well in Toronto the only way to get hockey tickets is if youre Jesus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:52 am 

And even then he'd have to sell his soul just to be able to afford it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:59 am 
Will Rant for Gil

lol How much are they? Not that I really want to know, nor could ever afford them. But why not....

I would like to go to another hockey game some time. Maybe I'll look into the schedule for Nashville and see if any good teams are playing soon. Problem is, it takes 3 hours to drive to Nashville, so I'd lose an entire day of FFXI pretty much.... Damn! That's no good....

ehhh what? huh? Oh... yeah uhh.. hockey, yeah :)

Y'know .. one thing I used to like about hockey a few years back, they had some kinda device in the puck that was tracked on screen as a purple dot/streak so you could see where it was even if it was against the boards. That was pretty neat, any idea what ever happened to that? They did it all the time for a while, then it just .. POOF....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:06 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

well some people in fl. play hockey however we use sport championships as a way to raise our self esteem because we here are run by a bunch of idoits *cough Bush's Brother Jeb *cough cough cough So how is the weather in canda i am looking to escape the stupid people here. Oh so the toranto team is just like the dolphins here that is the worst football team ever lol they always go get better players and end up sucking more hahaha i am a bucanears fun so i got to rub that in lol :twisted: anyway i must go escape the stupidy know as Flordia wish me luck

Board index » Community » Community Discussion