It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: Bad News
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I can't view this site at work anymore. This was the only "video game" related forum that wasn't blocked by our filters. As of today...that changed.

The 10 years of daily stalking (at work) has come to an end #-o :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Post subject: Re: Bad News
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:55 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Phone internet? :trollface:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:17 am 
Even Match
Even Match

Tor Browser?, OMG STOP FAILING

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:49 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kluya wrote:
I can't view this site at work anymore. This was the only "video game" related forum that wasn't blocked by our filters. As of today...that changed.

The 10 years of daily stalking (at work) has come to an end #-o :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Probably blocked because you're on it all the time! Us IT admins tend to use the internet usage log files to figure out what new sites need to be blocked.

We used to have ckd.net or something way back in the day, but pretty sure that's long gone. Unfortunately PHPBB doesn't handle multiple domain names very well (keeps redirecting you to the one it wants) so we can't just register another domain name.

But yep, phone is your answer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:06 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Poor Klu. Now he'll be on his phone like the rest of us losers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:00 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Depending on the company, I'd be surprised they'd pick on some tiny site one dude goes to. That seems like a waste of time/money on behalf of the I/T department. That level of scrutiny, at least. I wonder if it got keyword flagged, or something. I guess I don't know how any of that works.

Sucks, tho!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:56 am 
Even Match
Even Match

Ridere wrote:
Depending on the company, I'd be surprised they'd pick on some tiny site one dude goes to. That seems like a waste of time/money on behalf of the I/T department. That level of scrutiny, at least. I wonder if it got keyword flagged, or something. I guess I don't know how any of that works.

Sucks, tho!

You're looking at this the wrong way. It's about making it fair to all employees (aside from executives).
There is no waste of time or money here. It is their job. They were probably parsing logs looking for infractions and as you block more and more sites, it gets easier to detect the low traffic sites.

Sorry Klu... sucks they finally caught you :).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:51 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm always amazed that we have such arbitrary stuff blocked at our company, but if someone wanted to spend all day watching Youtube videos, or browsing Reddit, they could. Someone in I/T must be a redditor. Unsure why Youtube is unblocked, however.

lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:16 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Ridere wrote:

Sucks, tho!

I'm guessing it's not likely a block to the site explicitly, but to whatever category it was arbitrary set as by the content policy vendor or the company IT administrators. Could also be a case of someone re-categorizing it to a category that was already blocked. Could also be Klu stepped on someone's toes and they be petty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:20 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Ridere wrote:
I'm always amazed that we have such arbitrary stuff blocked at our company, but if someone wanted to spend all day watching Youtube videos, or browsing Reddit, they could. Someone in I/T must be a redditor. Unsure why Youtube is unblocked, however.

lol

Youtube is likely allowed on 'social media' grounds.
Reddit generally classified as forums.

Also most companies don't dedicate the proper resources (and training) for proper content filtering on whatever choice of solution be used (shit's a full time job) so you run into inconsistencies throughout your access policy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:31 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Also try this -- try viewing the site through an allowed site translator resource.
Might run into errors where it'll say cannot translate as the site is already in english but a lot of site translators don't even check if the site is already in the language you are attempting to translate to and this should allow you to bypass.

Sometimes administrators miss this loophole.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:11 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Yeah, hit up google.jp or try using a proxy server. There's always ways around shit. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:56 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Omg it took me nearly 24 hours to login to this site and see everything.

I was mainly just venting. I have my phone tapped into the company wifi when I'm there (save data) so it's annoying to bounce off that to view this site. Especially how often I visit! I'll probably just stop using company wifi altogether..I never come close to exceeding my data anyways.

I appreciate all of the helpful suggestions. Thanks irl!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:01 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ridere wrote:

lol

youtube is unblocked because of social things and so we can see our CEO and pals do the Ice bucket challenge -_-; also about 4 months ago we unblocked facebook and twitter in a hush hush way, since the people upstairs use it as noodle says "social media"

as for reddit. yeah i bet theres a bunch of redditors in IT here.

Board index » Community » Community Discussion