It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:14 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: Firewall help!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:26 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Let's see if you wizzes have a solution to my problem...

I'm trying to host games on warcraft III, but I seem to have an unknown firewall blocking. I've been able to host in the past just by turning off my windows XP firewall and my router (Netgear) firewall. But now I seem to have a firewall I can't turn off. Why? Because I have no idea what it is.

I can't figure out what programs could be doing this. I checked my ISP's website, Comcast, and there's no indication they have me firewalled. I have DC++, AIM, MSN, AVG Anti-Virus; those are the only programs that I think could possibly have a firewall that I don't know about.

Is there any program to scan my comp for firewalls or something? How can I find this firewall(s)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:44 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

You don't have to disable your firewall just open a port, what kind of router do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:19 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

If you have a router with a firewall within it, I would turn off the XP firewall and leave it off. As for hosting WC3 games, either on the website or in the manual it should list what ports are required to host a game. For your firewall you can probably pop open a browser and hit your default gateway, which might have a slim webserver running an administrative application. This will probably be password protected and might still be the defaults(see router manual). Anyway, there should be a section that will allow you to configure your firewall to allow those ports to pass through. Once enabled anyone can send packets through that hole, so if your really paranoid turn it off after you are done hosting or turn on the XP firewall which would block those requests to your NATed address but not other elements on that network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:21 am 
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)
(Tarutaru) (Dream) (Man)

The only port allowed for bnet games is 6112, there's no way to really change that.

So if you have a router, you need to port forward 6112 to your computer. (It can use more ports if available only for d/ling maps).

But that's not too important. So any firewall program or router, you need to open up port 6112.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:09 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Right. I've done that. I have a netgear router so I go to 192.168.0.1 and then forward a port through it. And I've disabled the windows firewall.

But I've got some firewall besides those two, the catch is I don't know what it is, or what's casting the firewall up.

Is there any way I could search for it or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:46 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

You sure your doing UPnP forwarding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:53 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

what's that?

Board index » Community » Community Discussion