It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Lower U.S. drinking age to 18?
Yes 30%  30%  [ 13 ]
No 70%  70%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:21 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I've lived on both sides of the North American border and have a little insight. Maybe I can help a little Val.

In Quebec - drinking age is 18 - people are traditionally drinking in their mid-teens with little repercussions as it's controlled and usually in moderation. (trashed and blasted at 15 just doesn't fly)

In Ontario - drinking age was 19 - people drink a little bit later but seem to turn out ok. (I'm biaised - I'm ok right?)

In Texas - the drinking age is 21. And by 21 - OMG do people go retarded. Let's drink a tonne - legally and jump in the car I've been driving for FIVE years legally. I don't have the numbers to back this one up - just some scary experiences in both Texas and Florida where people will simply drink - screw it - I want it - I get it. However the binge drinking starts out at a lot earlier age than a 18-19 year old drinking age. (as far as I could see) People who drink - end up drinking a LOT. Usually to that wonderful - OMG - I'll never drink again state and do it all over again tomorrow.

In short.
IMHO make it 18 universally - I'd be curious to stats on binge drinking / alcoholism stats at 21 vs 18. Would make some neat demographics to be sure in that 18-25 range.

Dammit Val, this probably has no use for you... oh well, back to work for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:38 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

nonononononononooooo, ive been to many parties with a bunch of drunk 15-19 year olds and i must say the majority of America's adolsence is way too immature to be drinking lower than 21, achohol can fuck up people so bad.
imo 21 might not even be low enough. but once your 18 in all you have many freedom's but not enough worldly experience to support yourself fully yet, also if it was 18 how many dumbass teenagers would come to school drunk?
i think between the ages of 16-21 we practicly think were almost invincible that nothing can stop us we can kick anyones ass blah balabalhahabhabhab etc..
im 15 atm and i have drank achohol and beer and wine coolers but then again not many teen's havent, i for one don't like it till after the 3-5th shot but even by then i know i need to stop. So really maturity plays a big role in this matter, but unfortunatly achohol is too dangerous too give to someone who says they are mature enough. i think i made some sence...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:54 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

ok as far as i can see, other areas where the drinking age is 18 its because their youth are more mature about it. from what ive seen they tend to not drive, plan DD or taxi rides. and they dont get completely out of control like americans do.

americans youth tend to do things in excess with out thinking about the consiquesnce at all. just because the age is 21 doesnt mean kids arent drinking at 12. before any legal drinking age is lowered i think kids need to show that they can handle the responsibility to not drive drunk or get out of control.

its a matter of moderation, and americans dont understand those words. just look at our % of overly obesce due to eatting loads of fast food and junk. americans know theyre fat, and yet we continue to eat 4-5 times the normal serving size of anything.

growing up isnt a matter of being given responsibility, its knowing how to handle it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:44 pm 
"Kaiser or Bust!"

I dont find more drunk driving as a valid argument. Whether u are 18 thru 20 or 21 thru 121, you can still drive DUI. I say just increase DWI and DUI laws, i think we need harder laws on those anyway. I want 18 year olds to be able to drink responsibly, just like a 21+ is suppose to drink responsibly. Just cuz ur 21 doesnt give u the right to DWI or DUI, it's against the law no matter how old u r. So increased DUI and DWI isnt valid to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:06 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

A 18yr old is not psychologically adept at being able to cope with alchohol's effect. No one is, but the younger you are the less able you are. Its a drug, a legal drug. I find that when I drink I dont drink to get drunk. I also drink liquor because I detest beer. Drink of choice being vodka because I like the flavor (yes I know thats weird but its my thing lol). When you are 18 you have waaaaaay too many things still going on with your body and mind. You have too many feelings and emotions and what have you that will directly come to show when you are drunk. I would like to know the percentage of teenage pregnancies due partly to alchohol being involved. It prevents you from making rational choices no matter what the age, but at 18 years old you still arnt able to make that many rational choices. I dont care if your legally an adult. That just means that you have just come into adult life and now you must learn what it means to be an adult. Like going to high school, just because you got in to high school doesnt mean your able to understand and know everything that goes on.

That being said.......lets go binge drink!! I got a funnel!!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:06 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Ketrebu wrote:
18 is the legal drinking age here in England.
17 is the legal driving age.
16 is the legal sex age.

lol...

AWWW SHIT <bags pack and flys to England> man I am going to have alot of sweet 16 sex WOOT :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:18 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Quote:
I am going to have alot of sweet 16 sex

/notifys FBI watch list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:41 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Pantherxx wrote:

AWWW S??T <bags pack and flys to England> man I am going to have alot of sweet 16 sex WOOT :twisted:

ummm.........nvm not even gonna touch this...

everyone just needs to learn to be responsible and know how to drink, but it's too much to ask cause we all know your much cooler if you drink :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:51 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Quote:
but it's too much to ask cause we all know your much cooler if you drink Rolling Eyes

and do drugs. Peer pressure! Peer pressure! Peer pressure! Peer pressure! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:50 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

arlania lets go smoke pot in the school parking lot and hope no one catches us cause were gangster like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:21 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I think Xiona says it well.

Maturity and excess might be valid counterpoints in this kind of discussion.

Post subject: Re: Lower U.S. drinking age from 21 to 18?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:28 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Oreillyi62 wrote:
Well, it differs from place to place and so does laws and rules. When I was caught for DUI, my BAC level was doubtful. Took help of a good DUI lawyer and got away with just penalties, else it could have been much worse.

Clever bot.

Post subject: Re: Lower U.S. drinking age from 21 to 18?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:07 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

lawl

Board index » Community » Community Discussion