It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 6:15 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Community Discussion

Post subject: Why I love Superman Returns.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:08 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Unless youre Sunshine or Talisin you probably don't understand just how excited about Superman Returns.

Id like to spend just a few seconds explaining why I am so excited.

To start, the director Bryan Singer is an amazing director in itself. I loved X-Men and X-Men 2. I was happy with how well they could give the movie that "comic book" feel. This was always credited to Bryan Singer's love for comic books. While I wasnt totally happy with those two movies (They should have picked a real actor to play Storm) I was more pleased then unpleased. Being a huge comic book nerd I can get really picky about this kind of stuff.

So thats one of the big reasons. Still, not the biggest.

I think the biggest reason I love this movie is because of how bad this movie could have been.

Source:Wikipedia
Wikipedia wrote:
The project has had a long and protracted history stretching back to the mid-1990s with Kevin Smith and Tim Burton being signed on to write and direct and Nicolas Cage slated to star as the Man of Steel in a movie version of the Death and Life of Superman storyline (then called Superman Lives), for release in the summer of 1999. A Q&A session concerning Smith's dissatisfaction with Burton's intended direction of the project can be seen on the DVD release An Evening with Kevin Smith. Other reasons for this project's collapse can be attributed to the skyrocketing budget figures in pre-production, and Warner Bros' unwillingness to release this film alongside 1999's juggernaut Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

Other names attached during the years included directors Brett Ratner, Michael Bay and Charlie's Angels' McG, and actors Sandra Bullock, Beyoncé Knowles, Johnny Depp, Anthony Hopkins, James Caviezel, Henry Cavill and Matthew Bomer. J.J. Abrams turned in a script that not only substantially revised the premises of the franchise (e.g. Luthor as an alien, Krypton not destroyed) but was also leaked onto the internet, receiving a generally hostile reaction by fans.

For a brief period in 2001 and 2002 a Superman and Batman film, Batman vs. Superman, was also put on the fast track to production with Wolfgang Petersen set to direct. Petersen eventually left to direct the film Troy and Warner Studios decided to concentrate on separate movies for each character.

Dont get me wrong, I love Tim Burton. I love Johny Depp. I also think Kevin Spencer could have done some wicked work too. However, I dont care how much Nicolas Cage loves super man. I dont care that he named his kid Kal-el after superman's birth name. Nicolas Cage is not an actor that looks, talks or acts like Clark Kent or Superman. I am so happy that he is not playing Superman that this movie could suck ass and I would still love it because Nicolas Cage was not Superman. God, my head hurts thinking about that.

The idea that Kyrpton wasnt distroyed or that Luthor would be an alien makes me sick to my stomach. Seriously, movies based on comics\books that totally rewrite the original authors intent for the movie makes me furrious. I mean Starship Troopers is the best example. I loved that book and the movie made a total mockery of what was an amazing book that created the whole genre of "Robosuit" things.
Starship Troopers is one of the first (if not the first) book to use the idea of a powered exoskeleton suit that a soilder would wear in combat to enhance his abilities. This went on to inspire all sorts of Manga\Anime (you didnt think gundam created that did you?) and other cool things. The movie was based around the Army life and those suits. It was a very pro government book but I liked it anyway. The movie on the other hand was nothing like it other than the main protaganist being "alien bugs".

To think superman almost became one of those movies I hate... god I could kill someone lol.

Looking at the line up of who was almost in the movie... Sandra Bullock, Beyoncé Knowles would never have been able to play ANYONE in the Superman Mythos.

Bryan Singer goes out of his way to make sure that the main stars are not "big stars". Aside from Kevin Spacey (who is one of my alltime favorite actors) all the cast is fairly unkown. Infact Jim Caviezel tried really hard to get the roll of Supes but was turned down by Bryan Singer based on the fact that he felt Jim Caviezel was "too famous" after starring in The Passion of the Christ.

I think Kevin Spacey would play an awesome Lex Luthor. Simply because Kevin Spacey can easily pull off that "Charming" evil super-villian. While I hate big stars playing characters I loved, I feel Kevin Spacey can pull this off.

Im really excited about this movie. I always loved superman. I always loved the comics (although I never got into them cause DC Sucked in the 80s) and especially the movies. Im even more excited that someone who has as much passion about this character (and probably more) is the one directing.

Last edited by Yarr on Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:10 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

yarr just loves seeing guys in tight spandex and tights. god knows i do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:23 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

You just love Bryan Singer because hes gay and has an awesome name spelt incorrectly lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:24 pm 

is he really gay? i didnt know that haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:26 pm 

that would explain why he insisted on Ian McKellen to play Magneto in the X-Men movies. He is also gay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:59 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

i like what bryan singer is doing in this superman movie though.. he is reusing footage of Marlon Brando; both used and also footage they did not use. awesome stuff. i'm just glad they finally got this film going, it took too long :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:38 am 
Tough!
Tough!

i bet the spiderman movies will still be better ;p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:31 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

eww.. i cant stand how they did the spider man movies... but yarr i have to agree the new superman looks like something to look forward to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:54 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

For those who care. A look inside WB and making Superman Returns.

Found this linked on slashdot.

I now have very little respect for Tim Burton. I also have a lot more respect for Mr Cage and Mr Smith.

This is more than just a look at superman its a good look at how stupid hollywood exects are. I might just make a new thread.

http://www.agonybooth.com/forum/topic.a ... hichpage=1

I removed the quote because I couldnt quote it all (its too large) and it was messing up the boarders.

Tim Burton is an assclown after reading that. I cant stand him anymore and have lost all faith in his ability as a creative mind. He can do wonders with original ideas, but boil it down hes just another money hungry Hollywood asshole looking to make money off what ever is popular.

Last edited by Yarr on Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:02 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

is there any way i can get that quote on tape?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:08 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

You guys talk too much superman smallville!!!!! I already bought the first season. HAHA i'm thinking about getting the others and watching them slowly while i farm ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:10 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

for some reason this pages boarders are really messed up :-/

sorry for de-railing the thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:26 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Long ass quote. While I liked* most of Burton's ideas, I'm glad this got thrown out. God that would have made things horrible.

I really want to see this movie with all the back history and BS it's gone through.

Last edited by fallenseraph on Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:39 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I dont have a high opionion after reading that about burton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:49 pm 

looks like your quote messed up the author column

Edit: seems as if it has been mysteriously fixed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:49 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

i was really hoping that Tom Welling would play supes as i think he does a great job in Smallville, but yeah i cant wait for this movie to come out either. =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:03 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Salvatore wrote:
i was really hoping that Tom Welling would play supes as i think he does a great job in Smallville, but yeah i cant wait for this movie to come out either. =D>

Tom Welling plays a great younger version of superman, but at this stage of the game superman is suppose to be older.

ok I know that once superman hit 35ish he stopped aging, but still hes suppose to be older than the character Welling plays.

That and Welling has put forward a strong dislike towards putting on the classic supes suit and he hates wires.

Board index » Community » Community Discussion