It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kioto wrote:
Well i would recommend the corsair h-50, but it's not really cheaper.

I'm scared to use water-cooling, just too paranoid about something going wrong around all those electronics.

I did see a computer completely submerged in mineral oil though. Is it possible to use that instead of water in case of a leak?

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:23 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

pffft, a setup like that Kioto and you didnt get an ASUS RoG ARES?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:04 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Dmitry wrote:
I'm scared to use water-cooling, just too paranoid about something going wrong around all those electronics.

I did see a computer completely submerged in mineral oil though. Is it possible to use that instead of water in case of a leak?

The h-50 is a closed loop cooler, all you have to do is install it, you don't mess with pumps or water, i used it for a while and it was great!

The whole oil thing is just for fun, it's not a effective (or smart) way to cool your parts.

Yarr wrote:
pffft, a setup like that Kioto and you didnt get an ASUS RoG ARES?

I thought about it =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:12 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

lol, I spent like 1.5k on my pc 2 years ago, I cant talk the wife into anything like that again until after we get a house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:15 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah i know what you mean, it wasn't an easy subject to approach the wife with, but it all worked out. Basically i had to get her whatever she wanted before i got myself whatever i wanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:56 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That Ares card is 3/4 the amount I've spent on the two computers I'm building, I would not imagine being able to justify that

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:34 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Yarr wrote:
lol, I spent like 1.5k on my pc 2 years ago, I cant talk the wife into anything like that again until after we get a house.

ouch! I know how that is but I am saving monies to buy house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:35 am 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

My girlfriend dropped about a grand upgrading her computer yesterday in preparation for ffxiv. New motherboard, Phenom II X6, HD5850, 4GB DDR3, new PSU, etc.

I'm glad we share this hobby and that we both can justify spending large amounts of money on computer parts. Having a job now helps too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:33 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

Thats a pretty good haul for a grand.. lets see 300 for 5850, 300 for x6, 150 for a new PSU and 100+ ram. I guess it works out to about a grand assuming you don't splurge excessively on a Mobo and/or get the 2.8 x6 vs the 3.2 for 100 bucks more.

I was thinking about something similar for myself. Just wasn't sure if I wanted the 2.8 X6 or the 3.2, and if I wanted to get a 5870 over the 5850... I was leaning towards the 5850 and getting a mobo/PSU that could support 2x 5850s for later upgradage. I'd also likely get 8gigs of ram although 4 gigs is plenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:09 pm 
Eater of cow souls

well i watched some videos of ffxiv and it nostalgia'd me so i've decided to give it a whirl when it comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:20 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

What are we doing about a server when it launches? Go for the Ifrit-ish one?

Ponuh wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:11 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Dmitry wrote:
What are we doing about a server when it launches? Go for the Ifrit-ish one?

Little birdies have said that servers are named after FF bosses. I vote for Kefka server :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:22 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

For the Beta they are, I don't think they confirmed if they'll remain for retail.

Yarr, didn't you beta test FFXI? What were the servers called during that phase?

Ponuh wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:58 am 
Eater of cow souls

i just now read that the collector's edition is going to be released a week earlier @ september 22nd, while the standard edition comes out on september 30th. sucks to start a week later than some, but i don't really feel like paying an extra 25 bucks.

also for people (like Mikey) who would want to get their same names, you basically have to buy the CE to even have a shot! luckily i don't think the name i plan on using will get taken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

new screenshots

http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3171445&sec=IMAGES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:09 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ultimaj wrote:
i just now read that the collector's edition is going to be released a week earlier @ september 22nd, while the standard edition comes out on september 30th. sucks to start a week later than some, but i don't really feel like paying an extra 25 bucks.

also for people (like Mikey) who would want to get their same names, you basically have to buy the CE to even have a shot! luckily i don't think the name i plan on using will get taken

With having last names I think it might be easier to still be able to have your character name, and just give them a unique last name.

Ponuh wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 am 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

Vurin wrote:
Thats a pretty good haul for a grand.. lets see 300 for 5850, 300 for x6, 150 for a new PSU and 100+ ram. I guess it works out to about a grand assuming you don't splurge excessively on a Mobo and/or get the 2.8 x6 vs the 3.2 for 100 bucks more.

I was thinking about something similar for myself. Just wasn't sure if I wanted the 2.8 X6 or the 3.2, and if I wanted to get a 5870 over the 5850... I was leaning towards the 5850 and getting a mobo/PSU that could support 2x 5850s for later upgradage. I'd also likely get 8gigs of ram although 4 gigs is plenty.

Newegg is the best. Here's the breakdown as I remember it:

ASUS EAH5850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0&Tpk=5850
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231277
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103849
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139006
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128441

Motherboard might have been different but I think this is about right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:49 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Youtube has tons of FFXIV beta videos now. You should check them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:34 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Some info on the game:
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/283497/page/1

- Guilds are called Linkshells in this game, while larger, high level Linkshells are called Companies. We don't know what the difference between these two systems is, but the developers have said that there is a possibility for every company to have their own website as well as every individual player also having their own subpage. It has also been said that Companies can "level" somehow, however what this means is currently not known.

- To make Crafters more important, there is a weapon degrading system. You can, in an emergency, use an NPC to fix your equipment for you, but a PC crafter will always guarantee the best results. The system may be used to count as a death penalty.

- You can break the monster's body parts/weapon by fulfilling specific requirements during combat. You can do this by attacking the monster with a specific skill(s) at a certain angle. but it has been revealed that in some cases they may be unable to do certain special skills, the number of items dropped may increase, or the drop rate for certain items will increase.

- Battle Regimens: BR's are cooperative actions you can do with your group members to bestow various enfeebling effects to the target. I will not say much about this feature at this time because it is not known yet how the system has changed in Beta version, but basically you queue up different attacks which enfeeble the target depending on what the combination of skills is (ex. Archer shoots an arrow and Conjurer follows with a Fire spell, resulting in a Burn effect for the monster).

- Monster types behave in different ways based on family but also individually. Some like to take distance from you, some like to zerg one player together, some like to run away when threatened. Some save their TP attacks for lower health, and some don't like to stay still. For example.

- You can not regenerate MP through normal means. Only by visiting several 'hubs' found in the surrounding areas called 'Aetherytes' or by using few select items or skills (with long cooldowns) you can regain some of your MP while out in the field. This means that you need to watch out for your MP usage so you don't run out of mana before getting to the next Aetheryte.

- You can take advantage of the situation and do a Pre-emptive strike against monsters currently in Passive mode.

- (this is just something i saw on youtube): lancer have a self-cure ability

- If you hit the monster from behind or from the sides, it will take increased damage and it's evasion will be lower.

- You supposedly do not need to touch any combat class to 'clear' the game. You can specialize in crafting or gathering and enjoy the game just like that.

- Using a skill from different disciple makes it weaker (for example, Cure spell can only be cast on one person instead of being AoE and it's range is more limited. In addition to this, depending on your current weapon's stats (melee stats instead of magical), the power of the spell may be weaker as well. Skills from the same disciple retain most of their strength.

- The maximum size of a group is 15. There is no known penalty for being in a group of any size right now. You can decide the size of the group yourself, so group of 2 can function as well as a group of 8 without having to deal with penalties.

- Everyone plays on the same servers. NA, JP, EU, PS3, PC

- The pricing is as follows: $12,99 (12,99€, 8,99£) per account, $3 for extra characters and $1 for extra retainers.

- The retainer is an NPC you hire to sell items for you. You can customize your retainer in various ways to make it stand out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:14 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6k3NkWesHk[/youtube]

look a goobbue
and LOOK AT THAT CLIPPER CRAB at 1:30 wtf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:18 am 
DL Hughley

Whisp wrote:
Using a skill from different disciple makes it weaker (for example, Cure spell can only be cast on one person instead of being AoE and it's range is more limited. In addition to this, depending on your current weapon's stats (melee stats instead of magical), the power of the spell may be weaker as well. Skills from the same disciple retain most of their strength.

Interesting, so skills from your other classes are available all the time even if you're not in that weapon/mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

With a few exceptions (in particular, the fighting classes and the crafting classes can't share) pretty much all skills are available to all classes once learned.

However, you always incur a penalty for using a skill outside of it's main class. One example being as mentioned above, AoE spells become single target.

Another example: you can learn "Second Wind" (Chakra, basically) from Pugilist, which restores about 50% of your HP on a 1 minute cooldown. But if you equip Second Wind on something else like Gladiator, it now only restores 25% of your HP and only every 1:30 minutes. It kind of nerfs it, but the fact you can give yourself a chakra-like ability from another class like that is all kinds of awesome. You just need to have learned it from another job first, there's no half sub job level restriction kind of thing that i'm aware of.

They originally said something like the skill's strength would be determined by your classes' "affinity" with it. For example, a melee class will take a bigger penalty for equipping a magic spell than another mage would. No idea if that's still how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:05 am 

So SE is making us stay one one job per char?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:40 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Pantherxx wrote:
So SE is making us stay one one job per char?

nah you can level one job one day and another the next, much like FF11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:04 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

open beta is going to start soon
http://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion