It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: I think I'm going to do Alchemy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:52 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So I was grinding out on Sheep last night (Not the Kayne sort of grinding, mind you), and I got so sick of watching my Weathered Cane go to yellow/red durability.

It needs some Growth Formula Alpha in order to repair, so I looked it up, and it looks like it's an Alchemy recipe. I also noticed that Alchemists can make wands, which are also Conjurer weapons.

So now I'm thinking that I'm going to work on trying to raise up Alchemy. Doesn't seem like it's a terribly popular crafting choice, either, so who knows if it could be beneficial to other people in the LS.

I'll keep you posted on what I find. I'm trying to come up with a strategy for getting to around Rank 10+ in it. I have 100k gil in my pocket right now from selling Wind Shards to Gridanians, so I figure I might as well spend it on something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:15 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

We should make a list of what crafts and things everyone is planning to do. We'll need a nice spread so everyone can get their gear repaired.

A very popular choice seems to be being able to repair your own stuff. Right now that's making my choices Armorer (Plate Mail, Shields, etc) Blacksmith (Swords) and Miner (Materials for those two).

Weaver will probably be very popular as a very large amount of gear so far seems cloth based. Carpenter can handle Archer and Lancer weapons. Alchemist seems to do the mage staffs. Leatherworker probably does things like shoes/gloves. Goldsmiths do a lot of the accessories, etc etc etc. Ultimately we'll need some of everything because SE seems to have done a good job at balancing what gear is fixed by what craft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:41 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

yeah a list would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:44 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I totally agree. We should come up with a list of we intend to do as crafts, as well as any tested ranking up recipe paths. There are a few compiled lists of recipes at this point, but not a real clear path on what to make.

So I think Alchemy will be a lot of trail and error. In order to make the stuff for the Growth Formula, I need to start off with Botany, move to Carpentry, move to Tanning, and then finally on to Alchemy. And that's even supposing I can find Shriekshrooms.

If any of you happen to see where those drop (Probably in Gridania?), let me know.

In other news, Growth Formula Alpha will drop from those plant-like Roses in Limsa Lominsa area, so if you're really hurting for a repair of your cane, grind out on those and hope for a drop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:01 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Ridere, you will be everyone's crystal breaking bitch. :D

I very much like botiny and that will probably be second to leveling lancer. I'm looking for a craft I'll enjoy that may be compllimentary to that.

I hope SE never limits the ability to level all crafts to max rank. I think it would be a fun goal one day down the line to be a master craftsmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:10 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I think you get Shriekshrooms from the Funguar littered outside Gridania. They're a pain to farm or level off of because of poison though. Not sure if there's a good spot for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:17 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
I think you get Shriekshrooms from the Funguar littered outside Gridania. They're a pain to farm or level off of because of poison though. Not sure if there's a good spot for them.

That sounds about right, Ket. I tried taking on one and died. I'll probably work on Thaum tonight, or maybe just keep going at Conjurer in the sheep area, farming up some more mats and crystals.

And maybe by then, my Physical Level will be high enough to take on the easiest of the mushrooms without worrying too much. We'll have to see.

I'm at Conj 10, Physical 11 or 12 now, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:45 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Yarr wrote:
yeah a list would be nice.

http://yarrthepirate.com/v-web/bulletin ... hp?t=12328

Also, you can supposedly avoid the poison from funguars by running away when you see them puff up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:45 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I plan to start as Alchemist for the spectacles. Havent decided on craft yrt but leaning toward alchemy also

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion