It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Need to know b4 i start playing?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:15 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Alright, Big Commission check coming on the 10th so i'm gonna go buy a computer to play on. what all do i need to know b4 i start playing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:48 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

You need to know that you'll be playing Beta Phase 5 until late-November/December.

On a more serious note, if you're talking about what kind of computer you'll need, then just make it a beefy one, with a decent graphics card (a cheap budget one and/or integrated one isn't greally oing to cut it) and go for Windows 7 64-bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:00 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

If you have any specific questions I'll try and answer.

The game is pretty mechanically flawed (and is missing a lot of content), but there's a lot of good stuff behind the grit. Crafting is pretty involved and interesting, albeit brutal with often frustrating synthesis ingredients ('Why do I need glue from a lv30 mob to make a lv6 sword? Why is it harder to make the ingredients, cloth, for a robe than it is to make the robe itself? etc.) I'm sure you've probably already seen most of the complaints on this or other forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The hardest thing to get, you already have; and that is a bunch of assholes to play with which will make the game more enjoyable. Haha. Other than that, pick one fighting class that you really like, and most likely one main craft. You'll need to dabble in sub classes for both, but most of us rank 20+ learned that it's real impractical to focus on more than one craft. Especially if you party with a group of people who have different crafts to compliment your own. I think our current party has every craft but tanning covered, for example.

Now if you're going for a slow/super casual approach to the game, some of the above won't matter, but it's good to keep in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:01 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If you only have 8 hours a week to play (like me) you won't advance much. You need more like 8 hours a day. They lied about FFXIV catering to casual players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:11 am 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

Kluya wrote:
If you only have 8 hours a week to play (like me) you won't advance much.

In contrast to this statement I think that this game strikes a better balance than others I've played. There are a ton of mechanics that both reward and hinder marathon play, however, the time you put in is still rewarded.

See: Ridere and Madison (Shere) as examples of non-casual play. You shouldn't compare your progress to theirs if you expect to play at an average/casual pace.

I'll play a lot on some weekends and some weekdays, but not every day and often for not longer than a few hours. I wish I could be more competitive with others though, but I'm pretty satisfied at how fast my ranks have been going up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:14 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Caduceus wrote:
Kluya wrote:
If you only have 8 hours a week to play (like me) you won't advance much.

In contrast to this statement I think that this game strikes a better balance than others I've played. There are a ton of mechanics that both reward and hinder marathon play, however, the time you put in is still rewarded.

See: Ridere and Madison (Shere) as examples of non-casual play. You shouldn't compare your progress to theirs if you expect to play at an average/casual pace.

I'll play a lot on some weekends and some weekdays, but not every day and often for not longer than a few hours. I wish I could be more competitive with others though, but I'm pretty satisfied at how fast my ranks have been going up.

Perhaps I'm bitter because it took me 2 weeks irl to get from rank 20 to 21. At that rate I'd be lucky to hit rank 30 by the time PS3 version comes out haha. It's cool because I'm quitting when the free trial ends anyways (if I make it that long). I don't have the time irl to really enjoy this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:43 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kluya wrote:
Perhaps I'm bitter because it took me 2 weeks irl to get from rank 20 to 21. At that rate I'd be lucky to hit rank 30 by the time PS3 version comes out haha. It's cool because I'm quitting when the free trial ends anyways (if I make it that long). I don't have the time irl to really enjoy this game.

Honestly, once you get past 20 the game basically mimics FFXI past 40. If you want exp, you're going to have to spend 30-60 minutes getting a party together and then go out and exp somewhere for 2-3 hours, you'll get about 1 level and then you'll come back and repeat it another day.

The problem is right now there aren't actually a lot of people (except LS) to exp with, and the way the party search feature works makes it a little difficult because it works backwards.

Theoretically, at least how I expect SE imagined it, you could log on every couple of days, just do Levequests for an hour, and still get a level every week. Unfortunately the actual SP gained from Leves never really increases, and 500-1000 SP a leve doesn't cut it when you have 40,000 SP TNL.

Hopefully, like with XI, SE will start adding things like XP Chains (these didn't exist in XI at launch either) to help speed the process up. But a lot of people reckon SE are intentionally making it slow right now because of the lack of content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:58 am 
Tough!
Tough!

what is the max level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:04 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

Theterk wrote:
what is the max level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:28 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

What's your budget? What monitor resolution do you want to play at? Do you want to overclock or not bother with overclocking? Didn't you ask this a while back? :x

Sidenote, AMD/ATI recently released their new midrange line up, the 6800 series (they went and changed their numbering scheme) that are good price/performance ratio. Nvidia slashed the prices of their 460s temporarily as a response to AMD/ATI's new line up so they're great value too (they were already great value), especially if you're an overclocker, based on countless benchmark feedback. AMD/ATI's high-end cards are expected to be released sometime November-December (that'll replace their current high-end 5800 series) if you want to hold out that long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

So is this game any fun? Or do you need to play a lot to make it any fun? Been thinking about getting it for PS3 when it comes out, but I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:21 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i think its fun, but most people dont
dont need to play a lot. and parties aren't firm at 6 players, it can be like 3 or 12 or anything, so u can say Gotta Go! whenever u please. at least, thats the case if ur a melee ;p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:33 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

ChickenNoodleSoup HA where you been? longtime no type!

edit: oh ket does 64 bit helps play better than 32 bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Panther, this game runs on what is called Windows on Windows, so if you're on a 64 bit system, it essentially emulates a 32 bit environment for the game to run.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:41 pm 

Dmitry wrote:
Panther, this game runs on what is called Windows on Windows, so if you're on a 64 bit system, it essentially emulates a 32 bit environment for the game to run.

OOO right I forgot about the WOW on 64 bits.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion