It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Wada Admits FF14 is a Paid Beta... lol
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:22 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, not in so many words But he did admit that the game will not be fully ready until PS3 launch. It's not really news to any of us, but I figured I'd post it, anyway. I still don't regret playing it, as I'll be way ahead of the PS3ers, but hopefully it's not too late for regaining a large playerbase.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=24007

Code:
Something is rotten in the state of Eorzea.  At the Square Enix earnings conference this week, CEO Yoichi Wada tried to articulate what exactly that something was, and how they will attempt to fix it.

First, the hard numbers.  Compared with the previous year, sales at Square Enix were down 25%, operating profits were down 56%, ordinary profits were down 71%, and net income was down 36%.  Sales of Final Fantasy XIV were actually the biggest positive contributer, with 630,000 copies sold (190,000 in Japan, 260,000 in North America, and 250,000 in Europe).  However, FFXIV may now also prove to be the company's biggest problem.

Wada was reported to have been deluged with questions regarding the status of FFXIV and the maelstrom of negativity surrounding the game.  On stage, Wada did admit that, "the customers are not satisfied with the state [of FFXIV]."  Current plans include big updates in November and December, and of course, the PlayStation 3 release coming next March.  While other details were not to be divulged at the time, Wada stated, "We must put our full effort into regaining the user's trust."

However, the CEO was not let off easily.  Attendees continued to bring down tough questions and harsh criticisms.  When asked about user numbers, Wada dodged by saying he could not predict how things will change once FFXIV ends the free trial period and institutes the monthly fee.  Another attendee asked, "Do you test your games to make sure they're complete?" to which Wada admitted, "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid," before quickly bringing it back to, "In the short term, we're working hard on restoring user trust."

In the end, Wada admits that there were many things the company missed, including not only bugs, but difficult controls and other issues.  While FFXIV will not prove an immediate success (both in terms of customer satisfaction and profit), Wada is looking to next Spring as being the rebirth of the beleaguered title.  The plan is to focus on the quality of the gaming experience and the happiness of the players and have a solid title ready for the PS3 launch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:11 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think it's interesting that it sold more outside of Japan. It will probably sell higher in Japan for the PS3 version though.

I hope he kicks everyone in gear and gets everything going and on time for this.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:10 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

My only "worry" is that the extended free trial will end, for us Collector's Edition people, somewhere around 22nd of November, which is 1 week before the "end of november", which is when we're supposed to be getting the "fix everything" patch. Even if you had the standard edition, it would end around 30th November, which is likely to be the patch day itself.

Either way, unless they extend the free trial an extra week or two, people are going to start getting charged money before the patch actually hits (or at least before people have a chance to see if it fixes enough). It's very likely people will cancel before the billing date hits and therefore won't make it to the patch.

SE can't afford to let people cancel, because it's extremely unlikely they'll come back once they do. They may possibly get curious around the PS3 launch but it's more likely they'll be playing Cataclysm or whatever the latest hottest thing is by then. It'll be too little too late. Hopefully they'll either extend the trial again, or the patch comes earlier than expected.

But for now, it's back to Crafting Fantasy XIV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:21 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

haha

I too was a little surprised at the sales numbers, but then remembered that the majority of computer users in Japan are laptop and notebook consumers.

Im a little worried that SE may not attempt to patch in content or repair things /until/ March using PS3 release as the excuse. I hope they're wise enough to try to maintain current user happiness after December.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:51 am 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

I think the November patch is going to set the tone for future updates.

I remember a lot of the big FFXI updates being something really spectacular. I felt like there was almost always something to be excited about, even if it didn't really affect my particular job that I played. The November patch should fix a lot of things, but I hope it also draws people in with some smart additions and fixes. Like Kioko says
Quote:
I hope they're wise enough to try to maintain current user happiness after December.

I'm hoping this patch will bowl us over, if not it'll be that much harder waiting for the next update to fix things we were hoping to see them change.

By the time PS3 release comes out I think we'll find a small, super hardened player base, and hopefully a complete game. FFXIV's overall success will most likely be judged on how many points it can recover by the PS3 release from the abysmal scores it received in September

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:11 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Might be worth reminding people that November is not the content patch. There'll be no new quests, things to do, etc, in the November patch. The November patch is simply for fixing the interface and balancing stuff.

The actual content patch, which will be similar to the old FFXI patches where we got loads of new items to find, quests to do, new spells and abilities, new synthesis recipes, new events, and sometimes some kind of big new system (Dynamis, Ballista, etc), is actually coming in December. However I wouldn't expect a whole lot of this in December because until now they've been working on November's fix patch. I think they've promised new leves and the addition of NMs for December.

They've confirmed that the next "content" patch is then actually coming in March, on the PS3's release date. So between December and March there aren't any planned update patches unless they are going to do more fix patches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

im kinda glad,at the moment, i have been to busy to bust my balls leveling. This seems like Deja Vu with Age of Conan. There is not much tolerance in the mmo community for lack of content with the variety of shit out there. i will continue to play, well because it looks shiny and most of you are all dicks like Kayne and that's just nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:33 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Yeah Im feeling pretty crapy about the game. I didnt even log in yesterday. I just played FFVIII haha. Im doing the same right now. I need a day or two to get the drive to start leveling again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:00 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Yeah no one is missing anything right now by not logging on, the only reason i'm trying to grind out conj to 50 fast is simply to get it over with so I can afk and eat while pressing enter repeatedly while fishing.

I'm sure the game will be good eventually, if we all just hang in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:12 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I just don't want to feel screwed over. My fear is somethign I'm devoting a lot of time, sweat and tears to now, someone else will rocket through with changes made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:38 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Kioko wrote:
I just don't want to feel screwed over. My fear is somethign I'm devoting a lot of time, sweat and tears to now, someone else will rocket through with changes made.

or it could get slower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Haha. I don't think the system could get much slower. I think maybe they could pool SP, or make it a standard amount after a fight, like EXP. And it may seem slower at first for some (Like Whisp and main healer), but if there's an incentive to work as a party, then mob kills will go a lot faster and be more streamlined.

Any change would be appreciated. I'm hoping for two things.

1. Make the SP system not retarded by either pooling SP, or calculating it out after battle like EXP.

2. Either increase the drop rate of shards in parties, or reduce the amount of shards needed on crafts.

Those two things would make me very happy.

PS: And those frustrated, just hop on my Whaaambulance. It's a coping mechanism for a crappy game system. It's therapeutic and helps keep you sane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:26 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Quote:
In the hopes of providing players with opportunities to engage in such content as soon as possible, the November version update will see a reduction in the amount of skill points required to reach rank 20. By effectively reducing the amount of time necessary to reach rank 20, players will sooner be able to gain access to class quests and high-rank guildleves.

- Adjustments to how skill points are awarded

Bunch of interesting stuff to be added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:36 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Quote:
Improvements to synthesis controls:
A reduction in the amount of commands necessary to begin synthesis

Yay

Quote:
An increase in player inventory capacity
An increase in the number of employable retainers

Thank god

Looks like no mailbox until March though

Quote:
Furthermore, a new UI geared towards users playing with a mouse and keyboard is currently being designed, and will hopefully be ready for implementation in a coming version update

Even the guy who writes the lodestone announcements is starting to sound desperate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:02 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Well I had not played this game for last few days due that I was busy irl. so I am not too worry at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:37 am 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

First 2011 Version Update wrote:
The addition of "companies" (player-run guilds)
The addition of company-owned ships
The addition of company-owned buildings
Improvements to existing linkshell features
The addition of an in-game/Lodestone mail feature
The addition of new search features

I am really excited by these and other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:00 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Gonna take the Cobra Kai Airship out for a spin.

I look forward to having a company HQ, somewhere we can idle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah that is one thing I'm really excited for. I'm very curious how they're going to implements ships, and see what kind of things they have in store for these headquarters.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Some thoughts on a couple things while looking through again:

Firstly, if anyone is wondering where all this info is coming from:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=9a18c549d68b08a4e6f2d162f5bd4263ed466626

Adjustments to item durability
I hope specifically this means increasing the durability on weapons. I find it weird how quickly weapons break compared to armor. I can sometimes go through 6-7 weapon repairs before I need to worry about any of my armor pieces.

The addition of an auto item sort function
Woohoo.

The addition of a repair icon
I hope this means an icon displayed over the equipment on the equip screen.

Changes to how statuses are displayed
This is listed separately to the one that says they're going to add count-down timers on the status effects. So what else needed to be changed?

The addition of a list that contains a player's eight most recently used recipes / The addition of a list that contains all previously used recipes
I'm not particularly sure why they don't just do the second thing first instead of doing just 8 and then adding them all later?

The addition of multiple log window tabs and a feature allowing for multiple log windows
This is oddly actually something I'm most looking forward to. I really want to put the chat stuff in a different window than the general battle log (which I also want to always be able to see.)

The addition of graphic displays to better clarify the effective ranges of actions
Does this mean we're going to see range circles on the ground around us or around a target when casting an aoe spell? Sounds kinda cool.

The addition of a gameplay feature that determines the quality of materials obtained from battle and gathering
What does this mean? It already says +1 +2 ...? I wish it said they'd make +1 +2 items stack together, lol.

The addition of player titles
That's great but how about letting us see the name of somebody else's linkshell first?

Improvements to the action bar, allowing players to freely position the widget
Action bar was fine where it is, never even felt the need to move it. I'd love to be able to put all 3 action bars on the screen somehow though. Sure you can just up/down to switch between action bars but it leaves you open to pressing a button when you're on the wrong action bar, and you can't see the cooldown on stuff not on your current action bar.

Adjustments to enmity rates
Honestly, ever since they changed it in beta, I think enmity has been great. Holding hate on a monster is rather easy now. A provoke at the start of the fight is usually enough as long as nobody suddenly goes all out on it, in which case a second provoke will usually lock it on you for the rest of the fight. What they DO need to fix though is the fact you cant generate hate on monsters that aren't claimed! Makes adds a nightmare and it also stops you claiming with provoke.

I love this as much as the next person, but almost feel it wasn't really necessary yet. Obviously yeah if you craft a lot or gather or hold multiple gear sets then your inventory will get full really quick. But when I think back to the inventory management in FFXI, it feels like increasing our inventory space this soon is SE trying to appease the player base by giving us nice stuff.

Changes to linkshell display
I hope this means filtering the linkshell list so it shows what zone people are in, whether they are in a party, and letting us filter it to only show people who are online.

On the same note, if they're going to stick with the multiple linkshells thing I hope they let people use /1 /2 /3 etc to talk on all of them at once. Right now you kind of get people who are always just "listening in" and never talk because they're on another LS, and I don't like it.

Oh, on the subject of Company HQs, I hope we can like have and/or hire useful NPCs to reside there. Like hire our own repair NPC, craft support NPC, etc. Then obviously something like a company bank where people can stash junk (which may be useful synthesis items for somebody else) would be cool. There's tons of stuff i vendor or drop because it doesn't sound like it's worth anything. But yeah mostly I'd just like somewhere we can gather together. Wonder if we just get one. The linkshell is gonna have to fight over which town it's in.

I'll post more when I think of something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:34 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Nah we all know it will be in Limsa lol

Ponuh wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:46 am 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

Dmitry wrote:

I like the idea of it being in Gridania, but for practicality sake I'd so go with Ul'Dah.

Or who knows, they might open up Ishgard or something and they'll be in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:58 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
Changes to linkshell display
I hope this means filtering the linkshell list so it shows what zone people are in, whether they are in a party, and letting us filter it to only show people who are online.

On the same note, if they're going to stick with the multiple linkshells thing I hope they let people use /1 /2 /3 etc to talk on all of them at once. Right now you kind of get people who are always just "listening in" and never talk because they're on another LS, and I don't like it.

Oh, on the subject of Company HQs, I hope we can like have and/or hire useful NPCs to reside there. Like hire our own repair NPC, craft support NPC, etc. Then obviously something like a company bank where people can stash junk (which may be useful synthesis items for somebody else) would be cool. There's tons of stuff i vendor or drop because it doesn't sound like it's worth anything. But yeah mostly I'd just like somewhere we can gather together. Wonder if we just get one. The linkshell is gonna have to fight over which town it's in.

I'll post more when I think of something.

Those are all very good ideas Ket. I always liked knowing what zone people are in when playing FFXI.

I had 2 linkshells and it was such a pain in the ass to switch between the 2 chat wise. I hated when somebody in the other linkshell asks a question while I was mid synth or something and couldn't switch to the other LS on the fly. /1, /2, etc would be awesome!

The company HQ is a cool idea and it would indeed be nice to have a repair NPC and a bank/mule for shared LS crafting materials and such.

Overall it seems they are on the right path to fixing FFXIV. Good to hear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:58 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Ketrebu wrote:
I love this as much as the next person, but almost feel it wasn't really necessary yet. Obviously yeah if you craft a lot or gather or hold multiple gear sets then your inventory will get full really quick. But when I think back to the inventory management in FFXI, it feels like increasing our inventory space this soon is SE trying to appease the player base by giving us nice stuff.

I'm actually excited about this. I probably have close to 2 dozen stacks of yellow copper ore in my inventory alone, and more on the retainer. I don't want to throw it away because I'll eventually be able to turn it into gold nuggets (or so I'm told), but I don't need it right now.

I kinda wish they would give us another free 30 days after this patch considering this is really what the game should have been when it was released (if they follow through on the patch notes), but I'm not holding my breath. It will be interesting to see how many people stick around for the patch since a lot will have to start paying before it comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:40 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Caduceus wrote:
Dmitry wrote:

I like the idea of it being in Gridania, but for practicality sake I'd so go with Ul'Dah.

Or who knows, they might open up Ishgard or something and they'll be in there.

I say that because Yarr is too stubborn to go to other cities

Ponuh wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:08 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Got an e-mail from SE telling me that my free trial ends on Friday (19th).

There's a maintenance on Monday (15th) -- that's likely going to be the deal breaker. They need to patch the game then to catch people before the trials start ending, and patch it good.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion