It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:21 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Notorious Monsters - First Blood (12/01/2010)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:16 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Lodestone Link

Quote:
Deadeyes

Deep within the shadows of the Black Shroud lurks a wolf so fearsome, so terrifying, so unnatural, that local villagers have little choice but to cower in their homes, lest they become his next victim. Legends call the beast Deadeyes, and he is unlike any creature the forest has ever seen. As alpha male, he exhibits the cunning and composure of an army general while leading his pack of slavering minions through the region, showing mo mercy to those unfortunate enough to fall in their path. There has been many a proud hunter boast he will be the one to finally capture Deadeyes, but as of yet, none have survived to fulfill that claim...
  • Operation: Wolfsbane

Recently, there have been numerous reports of a pack of bloodthirsty wolves attacking farmsteads deep within in the Black Shroud. According to eyewitness accounts, the pack is led by a ferocious alpha male with glowing red eyes, and the attacks have been conducted with a military-like precision unlike anything ever seen in the wild. The Brotherhood of the Broken Blade is calling upon its loyal brothers and sisters to join in the patrolling of frequently attacked areas, not only in order to protect the lives of those living there, but also to determine once and for all who is truly behind these assaults.

Levequest Location
    Treespeak
Those who are successful in slaying Deadeyes will be rewarded with a special item known as an Allagan runestone. There are a dozen in all, each representing one of the twelve deities who watch over the peoples of Eorzea. Rumor has that in Ul'dah resides a young trader who seeks these rare stones and is offering pieces of finely crafted equipment in exchange.

The following is an example of some of the items available for barter:

Harlequin Attire

Crafted for use by jongleurs, magicians, and other performing artists, this lightweight armor provides protection while still allowing the wearer freedom of movement. An extra layer of arcane wards woven into the cloth not only gives a boost to defense against maleficent enchantments, but also improves versatility with magic.

• Harlequin's Cap
    Defense 42
    Magic Defense 89
    Evasion 16
    Resilience 64
    MND: +4
    PIE: +4
    Elemental Resistances: +31
    Runestone Required: Allagan Runestone - Nophica
  • Harlequin's Acton
    Defense 116
    Magic Defense 90
    Evasion 33
    Resilience 63
    HP: +54
    MP: +54
    Elemental Resistances: +34
    Runestone Required: Allagan Runestone - Nald'thal
  • Harlequin's Tights
    Defense 66
    Magic Defense 52
    Evasion 33
    Resilience 63
    INT: +2
    MND: +2
    Craftsmanship: +12
    Elemental Resistances: +36
    Runestone Required: Allagan Runestone - Nymeia
  • Harlequin's Belt
    Defense 18
    Magic Defense 16
    Evasion 8
    Resilience 17
    Elemental Resistances: +7
    Runestone Required: Allagan Runestone - Oschon
*The aforementioned items are still under development and may change before the time of their release.

More exciting information on notorious monsters is will be made available in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:21 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

According to SE, that armor is:

Lodestone wrote:
Crafted for use by jongleurs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:39 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

ehh, player-spawned NMs just aren't the same as random spawns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Pretty sure they said we'd be getting both. Though I don't recall if they said we'd be getting them at the same time.

They said we would be getting "world NMs" as well as instanced ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think there will be both. But I never want king camps ever again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I want that hat! Even if it looks silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:28 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I think Corwin (Black Jester) should get first dibs on that gear just because of his name. Hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Oh yeah, I am going to be all over that set

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:48 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

did they go out of their way to make the Jester outfit look as dumb as possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

Anyone who thinks the putting in world NM's is a good idea has taken far too many hits to the head in recent years, forcing them to forget the wonderful years wasted in ffxi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:06 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Fattina wrote:
Anyone who thinks the putting in world NM's is a good idea has taken far too many hits to the head in recent years, forcing them to forget the wonderful years wasted in ffxi

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:19 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Fattina wrote:

While that's true, I think it's quite cool to be able to randomly stumble upon a rare monster, kill it, and get something. They just need to balance it so there's no reason to actively camp and/or monopolise these things.

Make it so the armor/items they drop are nothing special, like a rare version of an existing piece of armor with same stats and a different name, or something.

Also, give said monsters a huge spawn radius so it can appear basically anywhere in the zone, and completely erratic repop times so camping the thing reliably is nearly impossible.

FFXI's problem was that these monsters dropped gear that were the absolute best piece of gear you could obtain and use for tens of levels. Stuff like Emperor's Hairpin, Leaping Boots, and Mary's Horn are such examples.

Of course, I also agree that nothing akin to "Kings" should ever happen again outside of being spawnable by leves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:36 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I agree with Ket. I want to see world NMs in the form that they were at the end of FFXI. That is, I want them to drop a Rare/Ex version of another item we get through a faction leve NM drop.

I don't care if the monster has a predictable spawn criteria then. Some people like camping NMs, so I say let them. Just let us non-campers get the same gear though blowing faction points.

I would also love to see a FFXIV sky system for HNMs, where the low-tier NMs (Steamcleaner, Mother Globe, Faust, etc) are summoned by leves, so there'd be 0 competition from Gil sellers or other LSs. Would eliminate a lot of frustration and inter-guild drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I kind of want to see king-like competitions since I never got to experience that, but I know how horrible it was the one time I got to go to one.

I think they will have to have a balance in order to set up something akin to sky NMs on leve times, since as it is, we can go back and have each person get that leve and just do one at a time for pop items.

At the very least, I hope they make pretty zones like Sky was to put these monsters.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:59 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

Dmitry wrote:
I kind of want to see king-like competitions since I never got to experience that, but I know how horrible it was the one time I got to go to one.

King competitions were the one thing that sparked more community angst and frustration than anything else. I'd be happy not to see them again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:34 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

if it weren't for the fact that JP won every pull, presumably due to latency, then NMs like the land kings would be fun. lesser camped NMs that you find randomly spawned in the wilderness were super fun though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:58 pm 
DL Hughley

Whisp wrote:
if it weren't for the fact that JP won every pull, presumably due to latency, then NMs like the land kings would be fun. lesser camped NMs that you find randomly spawned in the wilderness were super fun though.

Trust me it was even less fun when people who spoke english started monopolizing them.

Ketrebu wrote:
Also, give said monsters a huge spawn radius so it can appear basically anywhere in the zone, and completely erratic repop times so camping the thing reliably is nearly impossible.

This is basically how they treated Sandworm and Ixion in FFXI and in my opinion it worked pretty well. Both could pop in pretty much any "past" era zone and almost anywhere in that zone, they could also disappear and repop elsewhere if left unclaimed. Sandworm had a regular 21-24 window but Ixion's was much longer as I recall.

Abyssea NM work like a mix of regular low-level world NM and sky/sea set building. For example, one of the top tier bosses in abyssea Vunkerl is a taurus called Bukhis. In order to pop bukhis you need 3 key items obtained by killing other nm in the zone. Two of those NM can be popped with items available on auction house or dropped by normal mobs, while the other is a timed 30-60 minute spawn in the zone. Defeat all 3 and collect their keys and you can spawn a bukhis. This is not a bad system. On top of this, abyssea time constraints basically keep any person or group from monopolizing particular NM, honestly, time constraints plus quick repops essentially defeat camping entirely. Imagine if you could only spend 3 hours in dragon's aery per real-life week.

There should never be FFXI style zilart kings again.

As a funny side note, I killed fafnir in a pld/rdm/brd trio the other day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:13 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

DeadLegend wrote:
As a funny side note, I killed fafnir in a pld/rdm/brd trio the other day.

haha that's awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:46 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Quote:

Unless you really need the item that NM drops. You never had the angst of trying to camp King Vinegarroon....

Personally I hate all NM's that can't be spawned by trading an item or in a quest. I don't want to waste time or grief over trying to force something to spawn, only to finally stumble upon it and be completely impossible to get the support to kill it. Or spend hours and days trying to get it to pop only to have some baboon walk by in another part of the zone and kill it.

I'd only be happy with world NM's if they're either, nearly pointless to kill. IE: maybe drop 10k gil or an item thats ok but not omg awesome. Or if the same NM with the same awesome drop is also available in form of faction leve.
And all items dropped are unsellable.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion