It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:09 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: So...Is the game still broken?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Just wondering if it's worth my time to give FFXIV another shot. :wink:

Post subject: Re: So...Is the game still broken?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:50 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I'm loving it! They have released some fantastic patches.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:24 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

most things are fixed, market wards are slightly better but still a pain in the a$$
party exp which was fine before is broken now

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:55 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

i lkike ur name pie napple lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The game has improved by a lot. SP from 1-20 is nice, but post 20 it's a bitch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:07 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, the patches have been very good, but party SP is sort of dead for large parties.

Basically if you're playing good, you can expect to get 8-12k/hour SP in parties of 1 to 3 people. That's not horrible, but it's not the 20-30k/hour that some classes were getting before in large parties. I imagine they are going to fix this, but right now there's no point in largep parties.

The UI is much better, crafting is much better. Shards are cheaper. There's an event happening right now (the christmas one). You can search retainers, though I haven't done too much of it yet.

I'd say based upon the initial review of 4/10, I'd put this game at like 6/10 right now. Maybe 6.5/10. It's slowly getting better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:38 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Man if only....

source: http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/27330-wh ... -in-ffxiv/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:51 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whoa, is that a real mob?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:46 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

yeah you cant post a screen shot like that and not follow up with wtf is going on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:04 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Skimming the first post in the thread that's linked it looks like some guy basically really likes dinosaurs so he photoshopped a dinosaur looking thing into a screenshot and said he wished there were NMs like this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:39 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

bump...and thread re-railment

Is the game worth buying yet after the dev change? or is it still bad enough that pictures of whats NOT in the game is the most interesting thing brought up when asked if the game is good?

might as well contribute to both aspects of the thread

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:42 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

hey rydall do you still play ff11?
i'd say its borderline worth buying, if u can get it on sale go for it. make a character, get a CKD pearl, and just casual it up like i do

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:38 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

You know, I'm trying to work out what the difference between launch FFXI and launch FFXIV is as far as things to do go.

Lots of people say "there's nothing to do in FFXIV" but very few people actually did anything for the first couple of months in FFXI except exp. The only things people really did on the side were mostly the quests that required larger groups to do and you couldn't accomplish on your own, eg: AF quests, farming coffer keys, airship pass. There was "nothing to do except exp" for the majority of the time for the first few months of FFXI too, so whats the difference here?

Well, I think the fact that you can do everything solo now detracts from the community feeling. Everyone is always off doing their own thing because you can now, instead of talking with people to form groups to do harder things. But now, not only is there not really anything you can't do solo, but forming parties is difficult, the search system sucks and there's no way to see what other people are up to.

Also there isn't any carrot dangling armor at top level right now. In FFXI you had Artifact Armor at level 60. That was everyone's goal, it looked sweet as hell, and if you were an FF fan you wanted to wear the armor that looked like classic FF stuff. Everyone could get this armor though so it was never out of reach as long as you teamed up with friends to help each other get it.

Tanaka's choice of allowing anyone to wear any armor kind of removes this dangling for anything they add. You really want that sweet looking high level mage gear? You can just go buy it and equip it. You'll have enough gil for it, because it's so easy to get. There's no incentive to level there anymore. What was just a bug in beta, somehow being tweaked into an actual game feature, is the game's real crushing design flaw.

Me personally, I'm trying to just keep levelling at an average pace, so I can be a decent level when this stuff inevitably comes. One rank per week is not really that difficult, it only takes a couple hours of time a week. I would absolutely hate for them to finally add something awesome like raids (dynamis, etc) with Rare/Ex style gear that you can't just craft or buy, and then only be rank 20-30 and not really able to participate. Then you're stuck months trying to level and catch up while other people are already doing it.

I'm interested to see what the new guy does with the game. Despite the switchover, everything we've gotten til now has been stuff that was already made from Tanaka's regime, they've not had time to settle in and get us the new team's stuff yet. Reading his interview from Zam, he seems well aware of what's wrong with the game, and that's a great start to getting it sorted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:46 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

From my perspective the game is no better than launch. Its got a few more things smoothed out, but I still cant log in and just start having fun. All I can do is log in, do my 3-4 LQs and wonder around chatting in LS.
This isnt like any other MMO where I could just start doing some fun quests. I like that in wow I dont really grind on mobs, but I grind on quests. I go from city to city doing the same kind of quests over and over. Each city has its own theme and style that make it different enough to keep going.

FF needs this or a damn queue system to match people up for groups. Why they dont do this is beyond me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:09 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Quote:
hey rydall do you still play ff11?

nah. Despite telling several people that I was only taking a month or so break for the wedding/honeymoon, I never actually found the desire to come back haha. I saw some copies of 14 at gamestop on sale for $25 so I picked one up. I figure I owe the game a shot despite the seemingly overwhelming evidence that I'm going to regret it haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:33 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

cool, well, we're on Trabia

just... dont expect much, yet... and you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:25 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

How is class balance? I'm not really looking for the godmode class so much as I just dont want to end up picking the dragoon of the first few years of ffxi haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:44 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Honestly, I'd say right now they're all pretty balanced. In fact they're all kinda samey. Since SE made it so everyone can solo everyone kinda has access to the same kind of stuff, does similar kind of damage, etc, so there aren't really any stinkers.

You can change jobs even easier than you could in FFXI (can do it any time you're not in battle) so it's not hard to go out and try a few.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion