It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:16 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Re: Earthquake shutting down FF14 and FF11 for a while
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:00 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Is DKC bad? I still have yet to open mine, trying to finish other consoles games from years ago first.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:52 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The controls are annoying and cramp up my hands haha. Perhaps it's better when you are used to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:30 pm 
DL Hughley

Just replayed FF9 last week, working on 7 now then I'll do 10.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:03 am 
Even Match
Even Match

I'm playing 7 now, planning on playing 8,9, and 10 after I'm done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:16 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Spoiler: show
FF7- Snape kills Aerith. FF8- Snape kills Odin and then has to spend 10mins redrawing magic. FF9- Vivi spends all of disc1 killing people but doesnt realize things can die until disc 2 FF10- Tidus Willis is really a ghost the whole movie(Presumably killed by Snape)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:18 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Lol Ryd! I think I'm gonna replay FFXII on my PC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:55 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I've been replaying FFX on PC. I grabbed a copy of the PAL version so I can try out all the stuff they added after NA release, like the Dark Aeons and new Sphere Grid.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/871200/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:15 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

FFX's PAL version was one of the worst PAL ports in existance. I should know.

The game runs slow, the framerate is terrible, and the godawful black borders are some of the worst I've ever had to put up with.

Also, Dark Bahamut is god damn annoying. If you forget (or didn't know) to pick up Tidus' Caladbolg while you're in Yunalesca's room before you leave, it's impossible to come back for it. Dark Bahamut takes up residence in the room, and he's practically impossible to beat without stat maxing your sphere grid first, which itself is a god damn pain to do without Tidus' ultimate weapon. For the love of god make sure you pick it up while you're there!

Oh and don't get me started on Dark Valefor stopping you getting back into Besaid to get stuff for Yuna. Gah. At least he's beatable the moment you get Break HP Limit on someone and equip everyone with the auto-phoenix down ability.

I suppose the new "Expert Grid" wasn't terrible. The draw on the expert grid was that every character starts in the very middle of the grid, and you can choose to go whatever way you want, instead of being led along each character's pre-determined path until later in the game. If i recall though, the new sphere grid actually had worse final stats on it. Unless you felt like putting the hundred hours in to redesign the grid with spheres.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:20 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I was tempted to try and reply FFX, but I haven't committed to it, yet. Other than Magicka, I'm still unsure what I'll be doing for a few weeks (realistic), while the FF14 servers are down.

Could pick up 5 copies of cataclysm and revive the a-team 5 boxing shaman team. haha :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:43 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I hadn't even really thought about what I'm going to do if it takes longer than a week or two to get going again.

Do you think the developers will bother working on the game while it's down? Will we get a new patch to celebrate it's coming back online? I mean, considering the servers didn't instantly blow up their offices must be nowhere near the affected areas, I guess they'd carry on going to work, right?

Dissidia 012 comes out next Friday (for me) I guess, that'll keep me going if we make it that far. And I still have a huge list of games I picked up super cheap in steam sales I've never played. And I've been eyeing up that PSP Tactics Ogre remake (the new FFXIV UI guy supposedly did the UI for that game) but the only thing putting me off was the perma-death nonsense.

Either way I'm sure I got plenty games, they're just probably not all multiplayer. Gaming quota probably a-ok, social quota maybe lacking.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:47 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I've been thinking about getting a PSP, now that you mentioned the whole JRPG on handheld thing. It makes sense, 'cause I've seen a lot of interesting RPG titles for it. But it seems like a lot of money to spend. I'm just not sold on the idea yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:07 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

There's a PSP2 (NGP) around the corner (end of this year? maybe start of next one) and it will backwards compatibly play PSP games but its very likely to be extremely expensive at launch.

The PSP "Go" is supposed to be a beautiful thing, but it's still weirdly more expensive than the PSP yet can't play all of it's games (You can only play games downloaded from the store, it has no UMD slot). This wouldn't be a big problem but two of the missing "not on the store" titles are "Crisis Core" and "Birth By Sleep", which are both extremely important games to own.

I'm also sad at the lack of emphasis on real online multiplayer on these handhelds, usually opting to just give you "adhoc" (in the same room) multiplayer. The PS3 has something called "Adhoc Party" which can connect to other PS3's on the internet and make your PSP think other PSP's are in the same room with you, which is really nifty, but it makes devs lazy and not bother adding proper online servers. The problem with Adhoc Party is that you're forced to play same-region games or they don't connect properly (this is a technical issue, not a restriction).

Despite saying all that, its more likely that the DS has a bigger library of RPGs, but they'll be harder to find because there isn't an online store you can easily download the back catalogue from. The DS has been around so long now I actually have trouble trying to recall all the RPGs I've played through on it.

Lets see, uh, "The World Ends With You" is an SE game and was quite good and unique, there's a couple medicore Zeldas, the 3D FF4 remake, "Mario and Luigi 3" which is way better than you'd think, oh and duh Dragon Quest 9. I also vaugely remember an FFXII-2 which was sorta like an RTS and sorta not that good, but they did at least give Vaan a Shirt. I'm sure I'm forgetting tons of em but it was just so long ago haha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:22 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The DS is what you want for RPGs. I bought a PSP and barely play it.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:49 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah DS is where it's at for JRPGs.

Unless you want to replay the goodies! PSP store has FF7, FF8, and FF9. I read that Xenogears was released in February but I haven't downloaded it yet. I re-played FF7 and 9 on my PSP and loved it. Those are great games to have on-the-go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:18 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, I have a DS, I guess I just haven't been wow'd by any of the titles I've seen on it that I don't already own. I did enjoy the remakes of FFIII and FFIV for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:30 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

I thought Xenogears was only available on the JP PSN Store... glad you brought this up, I have it downloading now!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:15 pm 
DL Hughley

I'd say the DS library overall, for rpg type stuff and weirdo shit is definitely superior to psp. If you search, you will find all kinds of stuff to keep you entertained whether by jrpg or something else, but yeah. If you have a hankering there's something like 4 dragon quest titles on ds, the FF3/4 remakes, all sorts of stuff like etrian odyssey series and dark spire (dungeon crawler rpg), golden sun ds, Contact (a friggin weird but engrossing title), valkyrie profile, a suikoden game (that's not quite as good as the originals, but still), disgaea, etcetc. The drawer with all my handheld games is blocked right now...but plenty of others. I'd suggest going to amazon or ign or something and just looking through genre-specific lists and seeing what you find.

Besides these there are games like Exit (a puzzle action game), Moon (FPS), Henry Hatsworth (addictive platformer/action+puzzle), the zeldas (I liked the second one better), ninja gaiden, and so on and so forth.

I really like DS.

I used to go down to the bestbuy near my office during my breaks and find games to play.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I highly suggest Ghost Trick and the Ace Detecitve series if you want something a little different from rpgs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:29 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i just dont think i can get into any other RPGs aside from final fantasies.

unless u consider diablo 2 & 3 to be RPGs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 pm 
DL Hughley

I just like levelling up. I love the Symphony of the Night era Castlevanias, Mass Effect, Wild arms, suikoden, pokemon, etcetc. Even something as simple as upgrading weapons in ratchet and clank is fun. Shadowrun for the sega genesis was probably my first experience with anything resembling an rpg type system and in my opinion is a spiritual predecessor to Mass Effect, with which I am obsessed. I'm not really into oblivion or dragon age but I liked Demon's Souls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I didn't like Oblivion, Mass Effect, or Dragon Age...but I LOVE the Fallout games. I just learned Fallout: New Vegas had an expansion, and I am all over that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:58 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Gonna fill my free time with exercise. Just think if I were as obsessive with exercise as I am with leveling up my taru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:15 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Whisp wrote:
Gonna fill my free time with exercise. Just think if I were as obsessive with exercise as I am with leveling up my taru

thats what im thinking, i wonder if i can loose 5 pounds by the time the servers are up again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:45 pm 
DL Hughley

Used to work out. Dropped from 180 to 130 then built to 155 and stayed that way a few years. Good times. Gotta bump all your points into STR and AGI!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:55 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

DeadLegend wrote:
Used to work out. Dropped from 180 to 130 then built to 155 and stayed that way a few years. Good times. Gotta bump all your points into STR and AGI!

I need to push it to the limit. do like 3 hours a day of biking, just massive amounts of cardio. and eat nothing but protein and drink nothing but water. (i hate eating steak with water!)

that might cause me to have a heart attack lol, its ok thou i had a good run.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion