It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:21 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Is this game worth playing?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:56 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Hey. I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions of the game.

I really enjoyed the game play/structure of 11. I havn't found another game that compaires to the set up and overall feel of playing. The only problem was you were dependent on others for everything.

I've been playing Rift for a couple weeks, its okay I guess, but it lacks a untangable quality. The graphics are not really the kind I like either.

I would like your opinions about how well the game can be played as more of a solo player, since I have IRL things going on. How enjoyable it would be to play only a couple hours a day max. I know large scale activities are sorta out of the question most of the time. Are you able to level up fairly well solo? These are just a few, but if anyone can expand on them I would appericate it. Thanks again.

Post subject: Re: Is this game worth playing?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:59 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

you can probably solo all the way up to 33 after that it does become a team effort.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:33 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It doesn't have the same overall feel of FFXI, but its close! The battle system is an action bar setup which I personally dislike (I liked FFXI battle system much better). The graphics are AMAZING if your comp can handle it.

The solo play is very fast until your 20s, then slows down anti until your 30s. 30s are a slow crawl solo, and 40s are painful. However this doesn't mean the game isn't fun. Crafting is a fun interactive minigame and is very addicting for some. You can spend time casually leveling a craft when you are burnt out leveling your main. When you do get into your 40s you can join leve groups when they form. It's basically a 2-3 hour event where you gain TONs of exp and some Gil to boot.

Sorry if my post makes little sense, typing from iPhone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:01 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, it doesn't have the exact same feel as FF11, but it's still enjoyable. Leveling up solo is probably going to be tough. But the good thing is that the game doesn't not have the 6-person requirements that FFXI did.

The leve-quests parties mentioned above are indeed a good way to get SP/EXP. 2-8 people can partake in them. A lot of people save the "good" leve-quests for certain camps and do them every time they reset to maximize SP.

And as things stand right now, you'd probably want to do that to rank up. There are other things (Called Behest) which start up every hour, or so, but their SP isn't super hot. Some have leveled up from 20-30 off of them pretty easily, though.

If you can squeeze off ~3 hours every few days instead of 1 hour a day, you'd get more than enough SP for ranking up purposes. One 3-hour session doing leve-links with folks who have kept the good leves gives you the same amount of SP that we'd spend entire weekends grinding out back in November/December.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:15 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

It's not ffxi, and was purposefully created to be the complete opposit of ffxi. Which is most the reason of discontent amongst players.
New dev team is trying to bring back more traditional elements blended with WoW design. I don't think 14 will ever one day evolve into something reminiscent of 11, but rather eventually warrant an identity unique upon its own.

The game right now, feels "quiet" to me. There's really no action, story or intrigue to it. It's mostly spend hours quietly spam crafting by yourself, or spend hours gathering by yourself, or spend hours spamming the 1 key by yourself or a small group on relatively safe monsters to level up.
Oddly, I sort of enjoy this in a way. It's relaxing? But it bores the heck out of a lot of people who aren't goal oriented and want lots of action and direct rewards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:17 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kioko wrote:
Oddly, I sort of enjoy this in a way. It's relaxing? But it bores the heck out of a lot of people who aren't goal oriented and want lots of action and direct rewards.

I feel the same way! I find it enjoyable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:19 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Thanks for the replys, a lot of good information there. I'll probably give it a shot when this semester is over. There are days where I would play in chunks, but average 1-2 a day. Play like 3 hours on days I get done with class early, if I don't have a test in the near future, and non on days with lots of classes.
Any news on when it is comming out on PS3? I think the option to play on PS3 is also a huge sell point for me, since I like to play ps3 while using my spinner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

No official word from SE, lots of gaming retailers are listing early June as a release date.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:52 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Ridere wrote:
But the good thing is that the game doesn't not have the 6-person requirements that FFXI did.

The fuck...?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:02 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

IT'S A TRAP

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 am 
Spammer, to the max!

The game is worth playing once you figure out the simple mechanics of it.

Here is the simplest strategy guide:

- Level 14 - 16 ASAP via leves
- Go to Uldah
- Horizon behest/leves
- Then it gets a bit harder to level but becomes more group-oriented fun. The advice I listed above should provide you hours of entertainment for at least a month.

The "free to play" atm definitely has a ton of appeal and the game (like all MMO's) is a timesink but it has been fun enough to thwart my attention from just about every other game out there (console or otherwise). Now that the server is down...I was thinking about actually playing Red Dead Redemption or Portal 2.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:49 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

So I picked this game up last week, and started playing. Started in the tree city, cause I like hippy shit, and I wasn't following any of the starter quests, and I disliked the maze that one had to travel through. So I deleted and started again, in the city this time, and following the starter quest.
Going to give it a fair chance and see how I like it. I am guessing it takes some getting used to, so I want to keep an open mind.
Any tips for a starting player? Like were can a dude get a shield for fucks sake lol.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:07 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Also, is it best to just NPC the drops you get? Or is there a good way to sell them to make money? Any advice is appericiated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:32 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I usually just NPC mine if I can't use it for crafting. Money is pretty easy to come by once you get higher ranked leves.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion