It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:58 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: newbie once again
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:21 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I used to play on the Ifrit server way back in the day. My name was Deejay there.

Anyways, I just started up a new character on Trabia and was wondering if anyone would be able to help a brother out. I have no idea how this game works, and I just bought it on a whim when I saw a collectors edition on sale for 40 bucks, lol.

Right now I've started a hume pugilist named Vado Fiasko.

I may end up switching to elv. Also, how is the class balance at high level? I know it's early in the game, but I'm thinking of playing a melee tank or damage dealer. I hear pugilists can fit both molds so I'm leaning towards that. Does anyone with experience think that's a good idea?

Hopefully I can catch up with a few of you in game!

Post subject: Re: newbie once again
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:53 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I remember you Deejay. Just come see me and ill pearl you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:17 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

We hang out on the ramp the leads to the crystal in Ul'dah. Not sure where you started. Our LS badge is the website icon, so look for it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

So I decided on playing a Gladiator instead. Character name is Jam Rawk.

Does anyone have any tips for starting out? Is there a specific craft that I should be looking as a Gladiator?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:40 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

I just started, on Trabia also, and had a few questions. I found the instruction booklet pretty much junk. Not to sound totally noobish, but it took me a couple days to figure out /sit was the equivelent of /heal. Is there something obvious that I am totally missing on things like that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:42 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

What city did you start in? My second character I chose Ul'dah, my first was the woods city, but its so much like a maze it drove me crazy. Galinday Greyhame is my character (ya, I know my orginality is something to be amazed with...)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:44 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

I'm in Ul'dah too. I only chose it because it looked like the closest thing to Bastok, lol.

I liked Vado Fiasko but I wanted to go for something more simple so Jam Rawk works for me, lol. So many long as names in this game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:47 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Yarr wrote:
I remember you Deejay. Just come see me and ill pearl you.

I saw Bailey in game but he said there weren't any sacks on. I'll be around a lot though, so hopefully we'll be able to catch up soon :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:05 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Travel between the three cities is relatively safe, even at rank 1. Ul'dah is currently the Jeuno equivalent, as everyone goes there to idle, sell there stuff, etc. If you didn't start out in Ul'dah, that's fine, but you'll probably want to make your way there asap.

A few general tips.

1. Sit isn't heal. As long as you don't have your weapon drawn (Press 'F' to toggle this), you will slowly regain HP/MP. If you stand still without your weapon drawn, you will regain your HP/MP faster. Because you weren't moving when you were sitting, you saw your hp/mp regen fast. However, technically, standing still would have achieved the same results.

2. As mentioned above, 'F' key toggles your weapon drawn/put away. You run slower with your weapon drawn, and you don't regen hp/mp. I ran with it out like a noob for awhile during beta.

3. Your intro quest takes you to the "Adventure's Guild" area of your respective town. There are two npcs behind a counter here that offer "leves". These are the fastest way to rank up your fighting/crafting classes at low ranks. You get 8 battle and 8 crafting leves every 36 hours. The timer at the top of the website tells you the next time you get access to 8 more. You also can only hold 8 of both in your journal, so if you grab 8, even if you don't have time to immediately do them, and then come back after the 36-hour timer has refreshed, you can do the 8 currently in your journal and then immediately grab the next 8 from the counter. Handy for if you're busy one night, but don't want to miss out on getting leves.

4. When doing battle leves, you have the option to use 10 Guardian Aspect to get a bonus for a particular leve. This bonus grants you more SP/kill for leve monsters. This is better used on some leves than others. You regen 10 GA per 12 hours. So basically every leve reset, you get 30 more, enough for 3 leves. So generally you pick the best 3 leves you have during any particular reset and use your Guardian Aspect on them. Guardian Aspect caps at 200.

5. Go to Ul'dah. It has the best ~R20ish leveling opportunities, it also has the best R33-50 leveling opportunities. It has the largest market wards for buying/selling items, it's where CKD hangs out, as well as basically everyone else.

6. Now that MP regens the same as HP, I highly suggest everyone at least get some form of sacrifice/cure. I think it's Rank 4 CNJ or THM. There's tons of other good "subjob" abilities to get, so I'm not going to bother listing them here. But self-healing is very useful.

7. All you new players who currently aren't in CKD, make sure you get into CKD. Also, bug "Ket Solais" or "Ridere Tirose" in game to make sure that you have access to the CKD private forums, as well. You'll also get added to the CKD roster.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:58 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Thanks for the advice, I supose sitting does look rather silly, I just never noticed while just standing there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:02 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Finally settled on a character lol. Switched my name again to Griz Khalifa. I'll be searching for you guys in game!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:24 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Im on now and should be for a while.
just chilling at the CKD hang out in Uldah.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:49 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Sorry, missed ya Yarr. I went out to eat with the girl last night and ended up staying over and watching a movie. I'll be on in a few though.

Also, thanks again Supafly for all the help last night. All I need is THM and GLD to 10 and I'll be able to start gaining some more levels on my MRD :)

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion