It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:48 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (CG Trailer)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:16 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/

(EU Link because as of this post the US one is broken)

Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (CG Trailer)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:41 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Death Stars and Behemoths? i'm sold.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:44 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Awesome trailer - minus the cheesy narrator.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:47 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

On their new website, the small screenshot of their newly launched website has what looks like a gameplay trailer as the top news headline instead of the CG trailer. SE being cockteases irl.

All in all the site doesn't have too much on it yet, not even much on the 2.0 we already know about. I suppose I recall it was going to be mid-August before we got anything though. It seems likely that they'll do their reveal at Gamescom. Gamescom is the european equivalent to E3, and runs from August 15 to 19.

And yeah that Narrator was kinda weird. It sounded fanmade until the obviously-not-fanmade CGI kicked in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:34 pm 
Eater of cow souls

Is this an expansion to the game? Also, is FFXIV worth getting into now? I've been thinking about trying it lately, but I've been wondering how the state of the game has changed since release. Are there airships yet? Plenty of quests/missions to do?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:59 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It's more of a complete revamp of the entire game. Story, graphics engine, zones, everything. FFXIV's current platform is cursed lol.

There is airships, chocobos, artifact armor, plenty of quests, etc. If you started the game now, there is enough content to last you until the game is revised. Leveling from 1-50 isn't the easiest for new players. It requires a lot of grinding, powerleveling, or an extremley social person who is willing to shout in towns and put parties together (slowly and painfully at most times).

You may want to wait a few months for the FFXIV revision (called 2.0) to start playing. It will be pretty awesome then. A lot of people in our LS have quit the game and "might" come back for 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

The launch version of the game was plauged with a terrible mess of a game and server engine that was so bad the new team that was hired to fix the game decided it was completely unfixable and it would be less effort to completely remake the game.

So that's what they did. Alongside FFXIV 1.0 they've been developing 2.0 from scratch using all the fan feedback from the game they're running alongside it. It's taken almost two years, which is short in terms of MMO development but they have the benefit of already having content and graphical assets for the game pre-made.

Back before it launched, they had an entire beta forum dedicated to players telling SE that the game was nowhere near ready to launch and needed like another year in the oven at least, but they completely ignored any and all feedback, shut the forum down because they didn't want to listen to all the negativity, and launched the game anyway. We all saw how that turned out.

This time though it's completely the opposite, and we'll find out whether that works to it's detriment or not. Instead of ignoring the players, SE are taking on board every whim and demand the current playbase has, and very few games have rabbid fans influencing the direction a game takes so early in development.

But never before in the entire history of the industry has an MMO been resurrected. Many MMOs have flopped out of the gates (though not many as hard as FFXIV did) but none of them have ever "bounced back" as they're usually financially-crippling for the company that made it. It'll be interesting as hell if SE actually pull it off.

As for the game's current state; it's a LOT better than it was at launch, but it's still haunted by issues that crop up from it's terrible engine and infrastructure. Content wise for a new player there's tons to do, but unfortunately most of it requires you to already be max level. Like Kluya said it's not easy for first-time players, though a veteran can go 1-50 in like a week or two, so it depends who and what you know.

The game now has Airships, Chocobos (later become personal call-anytime-you-like mounts), classic FF jobs and artifact armor, primals (Ifrit, etc), quite a lot of quests and a new mission storyline based around the place being blown to smithereens by Meteor which is pretty epic. If 2.0 is treated like a brand new MMO launch, with a massive marketting push behind it, it will sort of pretty much be the most content filled launch MMO ever.

One of the big reasons most MMOs fail after the first couple of months is because they launch without much content, assuming that they can stall for time because players still need to exp to max level first. This almost always backfires, the "hardcore" people level to max become bored too quickly and start leaving in droves before the company can get wads of content in. So hopefully FFXIV launching with a ton of content works in it's favor.

And to think how it felt so far away when 2.0 was announced, and now it's about 2 months away. Fun times.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:22 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Deckard Cain looks awesome! That is one badass looking behemoth too... i didn't like the narration though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:46 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Krellis wrote:
Deckard Cain looks awesome!

I totally called him that in LS earlier too.

Apparently it's that NPC in Grid that gives out the Primal quests. Not sure why he's suddenly some kind of ultimate time mage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:10 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Ketrebu wrote:
Back before it launched, they had an entire beta forum dedicated to players telling SE that the game was nowhere near ready to launch and needed like another year in the oven at least, but they completely ignored any and all feedback, shut the forum down because they didn't want to listen to all the negativity, and launched the game anyway. We all saw how that turned out.

The funny, or sad thing about this (depending how you look at it), is that after endless people and very bad press said "this isn't good" "this isn't going to work" "that needs to be changed" Tanaka's and SE's PR response always was "you just don't understand our vision!" Yet they never bothered to explain exactly what their godly vision was that they were so gungho about sticking to. I think this ultimately was the downfall of XIV at it's birth, despite having a plethora of feedback from various sources, and various market audiences, it was all completely ignored.
One of the refreshing things about the new team, lead by Yoshi-P, is that he has a strong background as an actual MMO consumer, and has a mantra that hey if it worked in WoW or worked in XI, or worked in Ragnaroak, I'm not afraid to try to mimic it in our game with our own personal twist - this is actually what is needed and expected in today's MMO circle.

The game sorta went from a console game that you could just so happen to play online...to an MMO you just so happen to be able to play on a console, and that's moving in the correct direction.

Ketrebu wrote:
This time though it's completely the opposite, and we'll find out whether that works to it's detriment or not. Instead of ignoring the players, SE are taking on board every whim and demand the current Japanese playbase has, and very few games have rabbid fans influencing the direction a game takes so early in development.

*fixed* Minor quip, but honestly the only direct influence is driven by that Japanese players. Not surprisingly. It's not entirely a bad thing though, as opinions seem to be rather universal. But if the Japanese players inquire about something or request something it's usually addressed rather quickly.

There have been a few instances rather early on when the new team tried to change something or do something one particular way, and the forums reacted very negatively to it, and the team immediately changed their mind or dropped it altogether. Kinda neat, since in the past even in XI that was something SE just absolutely wouldn't do.

Ketrebu wrote:
As for the game's current state; it's a LOT better than it was at launch, but it's still haunted by issues that crop up from it's terrible engine and infrastructure. Content wise for a new player there's tons to do, but unfortunately most of it requires you to already be max level. Like Kluya said it's not easy for first-time players, though a veteran can go 1-50 in like a week or two, so it depends who and what you know.

There's no shortage of lowbie mobs, and there's always the leve system (repeatable quests at various check points purely made as a resource of leveling). However, I think some new players without friends already playing may feel discourged soley on the fact that there aren't that many fellow new-starters around. Most everyone is leveled, many have all the available classes leveled in full, with no level sync capability yet. So I feel a little bad and it's hard for me to say if its better to get in early and depend on power leveling or leve spamming, or if it's better for someone to wait for the relaunch hoping to be in a pool of several other new players. I guess that's up to one's self.

Also note, that leveling is far faster paced than in XI. If you enjoy questing, you also get exp rewards from that. And you can always just try to earn acheiements, which I personally enjoy.

Most of the way everything functions currently in game is being completely changed in the relaunch, as well as the entire overworld being replaced. So even if you start now, please don't feel too put off if something doesn't quite jive or feels slow or overwhelming.

For those who have the game already and have vacationed from it, i do encourage to at least come do the new story line missions.
They're really stellar and will not be available again.

Also a lot of the end game stuff added in like skirmish, hamlet defense, etc is really fun, and we could always use participants for our varied timezones! And no one I think has mentioned it but aside from AF gear, there's also not Relic Weapons to obtain. So for those of us who kicked their butts regretting not getting their relic weapon in XI well now's your chance! The relic weapons will also grow with your character so they'll never be outdone by new items added in.

(sorry to piggy back off Ket's far more articulate post)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 am 
Eater of cow souls

Will existing players be required to purchase this "relaunch"? Or is it just going to be a complete overhaul of the current game? I'm really wanting to pick up FFXIV now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

if you have already bought or buy now the original version, the relaunch will be a free download. It's actually a pretty smart thing to do if you can find a retail copy very cheap. Also, you'll get the relaunch a little earlier I think. I'm sure v2.0 will have some sort of collectors edition or some exclusive gimmick though to motivate people into purchasing the new version.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:03 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Yeah if you intend to play 2.0 you should pick up the game for $3 from a bargain bin somewhere. They said everyone who owns the game gets to download the new client for free.

I'm not sure if it requires you to have the account set up, registered, or even paid a month for, or anything. I'd imagine simply having an account with the 1 month free trial activated would count.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:53 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
to think how it felt so far away when 2.0 was announced, and now it's about 2 months away. Fun times.

It's so exciting! I can't believe how close it is.

Ultimaj wrote:
Will existing players be required to purchase this "relaunch"? Or is it just going to be a complete overhaul of the current game? I'm really wanting to pick up FFXIV now.

If you start now, just keep your head up. I've seen people start FFXIV and get very frustrated at the lack of constant help early on. It's a fun game, and you will enjoy it. Most people in our LS are willing to help with stuff when you need it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:33 pm 
Eater of cow souls

So, I downloaded FFXIV from the SE site for $20, but when I try to play the game it says I need to register the game on their site with my registration code. They did not email me a registration code and I can't find an option on their site to see codes for games I've purchased. Help?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:24 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Junk mail maybe?

I've read SE's store doesnt have a "re-download games" or "place to get reg codes" feature though. So i'm sure they must e-mail it you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:25 am 
Eater of cow souls

Not in junk mail. I haven't even received so much as an order confirmation, but my bank account has been charged the $20.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:36 am 
Even Match
Even Match

SE's got the order right... lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:41 am 
Eater of cow souls

Wow, i contacted customer service through email about 30 minutes ago and they already responded with my codes. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 pm 
Eater of cow souls

is there still no fucking hardware mouse option lol?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:22 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

there is, i forget where though.. Some of the configuration stuff is in a separate small program and some is in game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:51 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ultimaj wrote:
is there still no fucking hardware mouse option lol?

It's in the Config, graphics tab.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion