It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Re: TWO POINT ZERO (Part 2)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:18 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Somebody with an actual decent damn camera went to the presentation. 1080p version of the previous video (skip about 11 minutes in).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:01 am 
Even Match
Even Match

nice find ket

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:39 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

oh god i hate players who jump UGHH
why the fuck did they put that in?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:43 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

As annoying as it might be, it's gonna be damn fucking nice to not get stuck by a tiny twig or fence anymore or those retarded 1 foot cliffs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:12 pm 
Eater of cow souls

i'm stoked that they are adding jumping haha. the increased zoom distance is awesome, too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:19 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Sorry whisp, Im super happy they are adding jump. Its nice to be able to jump, not that Im gonna skip around everywhere...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:38 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I never understood the appeal of jumping.

It's forever bothered me in all genre of gaming that in order to make jumping useful in gameplay, it had to be extremely exaggerated in height to completely unhuman flea-like capability.

It's strange to me to have a game that looks so realistic yet someone from a standing position can spring four feet into the air completely effortlessly. It just looks dumb.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:11 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I never understood why a game would restrict you from jumping. It just feels odd in FFXIV that I can take down the strongest Primals in the world, but I cant hop a fence. Its nice to be able to jump over a fence and not run around it for 5 minutes. Id like to jump down a ledge

Kio I totally know what you mean when it comes to jumping 2x the hight of your character, but not all games have a crazy jump system.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:19 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I agree with Kio.

It's like if you compare Halo & Call of Duty. In Halo people jump like 20 feet in the air, granted it's supposed to be outerspace and there's less gravity. But I hate seeing people bounce around like fleas, like Kio said. However in Call of Duty, the jump is very muted, and it's used to hop over objects in the terrain. There is a penalty of jumping repeatedly, which is that subsequent jumps are even shorter. I think Call of Duty jump is very nice and adds to the game.

Back to RPGs, the jump in World of Warcraft annoys me so much. Any video clip of that game shows people just bouncing all around. The jump in FFXIV seen in this clip around 13:30 isn't as bad as WoW, but it looks like we'll still have some jumping beans to deal with.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:26 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Wouldn't the better answer Yarr be to not design player areas with uncessary obsticals in their pathes? like the scattered half fences in xi and xiv for no aparent reason. It doesnt even add to the aesthetics of the game. They made it so you can run through some of them and that makes me happy. I like what they did with XIV to help the issue of the terrible terrain design that they inherited by just allowing you to run up/down cliffs and run through some things. There really isn't a point to adding jump after that in my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:26 pm 
Eater of cow souls

jumping can actually be a cool mechanic in end-game encounters. i remember a fight in naxxramas on world of warcraft (i think the fight was Thaddius?) where after a certain phase, everyone had to clear a jump from one platform to another to reach the boss. little things like that make it enjoyable for me. then again, i don't really mind people jumping around just to do it lol. seems like a silly thing to care about.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:28 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Ketrebu wrote:
I've read several articles today and they all seem to give different dates. I dunno where the discrepancy is coming from, maybe they're asking different people.

Kotaku says "Winter 2012"
MMORPG says they were told "Release Next Year, Before Christmas" (??)
Gaming Examiner says "PS3 Beta is November, This Hasn't Changed From Before"
Massively (Joystiq) says "Both PC and PS3 release this year"

Baring in mind this information is supposed to come from a press release, I'm amazed there's such a mess here.

I've also heard a site say that we're allowed to use our current characters in the Beta, whereas I was under the impression that the point of having the beta when it was was that they needed time to transfer our characters and they wouldn't be available.

Going by the slew of non-matching information, my guess here is that they're calling the entire period before the game goes "2.0 Retail" the "beta". They're going to get all the current 1.0 players into the game, and then hold back the retail relaunch until they deem the game "ready" for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDFIBCGbMaM

If you turn on CC this video has English translations of 90% of what is said. At the end Yoshi-P says Autumn is Alpha, Winter is Beta, early 2013 is release.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:36 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

From what I remember they expected a December 2012 or later release, right from the beginning (when they created that roadmap). So I was pretty shocked to hear beta might be in the fall.

What's Autumn? October? lol. (serious question) We don't have seasons where I live.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:04 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Ultimaj wrote:
jumping can actually be a cool mechanic in end-game encounters. i remember a fight in naxxramas on world of warcraft (i think the fight was Thaddius?) where after a certain phase, everyone had to clear a jump from one platform to another to reach the boss. little things like that make it enjoyable for me. then again, i don't really mind people jumping around just to do it lol. seems like a silly thing to care about.

If it actually was utalized with purpose like that I wouldnt mind so much but Yoshi P already stated emphatically that it will never be used in any battle situation (unless you want to use it as your method of canceling spells) and never required for reaching a certain location. In his own words, "This is not an action game."

It's bascially only being added because other mmo's have it, and he's trying to get the game to be as close to your basic WoW clone as possible without being obnoxiously so, like Rift (although he also stated that he was a fan of Rift).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:49 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

As a person who uses any excuse to skip around irl, I hate the fact that my character feels locked to the ground in game.

One of the things I really enjoyed about Rift was the fact that you could get ANYWHERE in the game. So many games have these awesome looking background areas, but they're always locked off with invisible walls. In Rift, if there was a mountain peak, you could bet your sweet ass there was something interesting up on top of it. It wasn't a battle mechanic, but it was something cool that involved jumping.

I'm hoping we'll be able to do some exploring like that in 2.0. But even if not, I'm glad they're adding jumping. Imma be skipping around like a fucking school girl all the time, and you two can suck on it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:24 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I'm with Corwin, jumping makes sitting around doing nothing more enjoyable at least for me anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Kluya wrote:
From what I remember they expected a December 2012 or later release, right from the beginning (when they created that roadmap). So I was pretty shocked to hear beta might be in the fall.

What's Autumn? October? lol. (serious question) We don't have seasons where I live.

lol

Officially it starts end of September but I imagine the alpha won't start till October (just my guess).

As for jumping, I'm one of those annoying WoW jumping beans so I'm looking forward to it. :love:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

in game marketing terms what they call fall usually falls between last week of sept-first week of dec.

From the media it seems their goal was alpha in oct, beta in nov, and sales just before xmas. My timelines could be really off though. Who knows.. I've been gulping cough syrup for the last week.
:derp:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:56 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'll be a jumping bean also. I can't wait to be able to jump down those tiny ledges, that currently force you to walk another 800 yalms to go around them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 am 
Even Match
Even Match

I'm a hypocrite when it comes to jumping, I generally hate the jumping beans but I can't help myself from being one lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Krellis wrote:
I'm a hypocrite when it comes to jumping, I generally hate the jumping beans but I can't help myself from being one lol.

Yeah same here, it annoys me watching people do it, but I still do it lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:47 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

It will be like that episode of southpark when the guys were bouncing around on their balls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

BUFFALO SOLDIER! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YEarMyIAzs

forward to 1 min: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/2 ... those-guys

hahahaha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

hahahahha awesome! That was such a good episode.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion