It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:45 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Nice article summarizing V2.0 changes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:40 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

How Different Will Final Fantasy XIV Version 2.0 Be?
Kotaku.com.au, October 17, 2012

The original Final Fantasy XIV was a total bust. FFXIV Version 2.0 promises to be better. Much better.

Version 2.0 will feature a complete redesign of the game’s current repetitive maps. “The current maps in Final Fantasy XIV are not only massive, but allow for seamless passage across wide expanses of the realm,” wrote the game’s producer and director Naoki Yoshida. “In order to maintain this seamlessness, however, we were forced to heavily reuse assets, resulting in static, repetitive areas.”

It will feature the implementation of a new graphics engine as well as a new server that should mean faster performance. What’s more, Yoshida added, “Our new graphics engine will allow us to maintain a high level of graphic quality while allowing us to optimise the game for play on the PlayStation 3 system.”

The game’s new graphics engine will also cause graphics to render differently than in the current version. Thus, Square Enix is allowing players to re-customise their avatar’s race, gender, and appearance.

Currently, FFXIV‘s new server system is up and running internally. Square Enix is in the process of putting the final touches on the party and friend system. The goal is to have all basic system features done by Feb. 2012. After that, Square Enix will start work on a worldless party matching system as well as porting all current player data. The goal is to have all this completed by Mar. 31, 2012.

The game’s user interface has been fully redone, and the in-game community content has been expanded. The new UI will newly redesigned windows, and Square Enix plans to have full support for keyboard and mouse users as wel as multi-window capability and stress-free drag and drop. The new UI even opens the door for user-made add-ons.

Square Enix also wants to strengthen the player community with in-game community options, in-game mail, player housing, PvP content, and a revamp of the retainer system and markets.

For detailed road maps of how Square Enix is planning to implement these changes, check out the gallery above. Also, there are tables that detail planned upcoming changes. These changes, of course, could change.

Post subject: Re: Nice article summarizing V2.0 changes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:12 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

"Wandering Odin primal, who grows in strength and drops greater treasures with each defeat." Sounds cool.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:24 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Yeah thats a good summary of whats going down and Im super excited for 2.0. I honestly have lost so much interest in the current version, but i gotta log back in soon to finish the main storyline.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:59 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

i can't help but notice "tamed pets" do i hear BST in the future?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:11 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I'm not able to watch the vid cause I'm at work, but I will later. I noticed some crafting and gathering gameplay on this video.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:41 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

yeah, thats a good video. I haven't finished watching yet, still only half way through, but major improvements to doh/dol over what they are now.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion