It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: It isn't over yet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:42 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If you couldn't login the final night, don't worry. You didn't miss much. Lots of R0 and lobby server errors trying to log back in.

I did have fun when everybody was online getting ready for the event. We had about 16 people online in the LS which is pretty awesome considering it was pretty late/early for everybody. Even saw some old faces, like Fattino.

That video......omg amazing.

Fattino wrote:
Quote:
We're starting to prepare for the Beta Test which we would like to implement at the end of January or early February.

That... is a painfully long time away to just be starting the beta.

I thought the same. I was hoping beta would start late December, and the game would kick off around March. Maybe not lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:04 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Not too sure what was going on? Missed out on some of the story? Didn't play through 1.0?

Because lots of people are suddenly interested in XIV after seeing the trailer, but have no clue what's been going on, SE have put out a nice clear and concise story summary for 1.0's grand company/meteor storyline up to and including the trailer.

Quote:
Seeking control over this realm and its abundant crystal resources, the Garlean Empire (a scientifically advanced nation hailing from the north) begins gathering an army of epic proportions. To ready themselves for the coming conflict, the city-states of Eorzea reinstate the Grand Companies─comprehensive centers of command which combine the commonwealths’ military and economic assets. However, the commander of the invading forces, VIIth Imperial Legion Legatus Nael van Darnus (a.k.a. “White Raven”), has plans of his own. Driven by madness, he silently plots to usher in a more permanent form of devastation: Meteor.

The Meteor project is comprised of a complex scheme employing arcane magicks and lost technology to summon the lesser moon down to Eorzea in an attempt to annihilate the realm’s inhabitants in one fell stroke. Dalamud, as the celestial object is commonly known, is revealed to be a colossal machine launched thousands of years ago into the planet’s orbit by an ancient civilization.

Realizing the futility of standing alone against such a threat, the Grand Companies put aside deep-rooted differences and consolidate their forces under the banner of the Eorzean Alliance.

At the behest of this new confederation, adventurers from across the realm take up arms and march on the floating islands of Rivenroad. Here, the brave heroes confront Nael van Darnus, and after a heated battle, put him to the sword. But by this time, the White Raven’s plan is too far along, and Dalamud continues its descent.

In an eleventh-hour bid to save mankind, the Grand Companies turn to Louisoix, an enigmatic scholar hailing from the forgotten city-state of Sharlayan. The ‘Archon,’ as he is called, devises a plan to summon the power of the Twelve, Eorzea’s pantheon of guardian deities, and use that power to banish Dalamud back to the heavens. But for this to succeed, the rite needs to be performed directly beneath the point of Dalamud’s impact. After several sleepless nights of deliberation by the realm’s foremost arcanists and astronomers, that point is determined to be a vast swathe of barren lowlands in central Eorzea known as the Carteneau Flats. With this information in hand, the Grand Companies order the immediate mobilization of their forces.

Unbeknownst to the Alliance, the soldiers of the VIIth Imperial Legion, oblivious to their leader’s dark intentions, have also begun gathering in central Eorzea. Ordered to defend the area with their lives, they prepare for a fight, unaware that victory will bring about their own demise.

And so, with two great hosts amassed, the Battle of Carteneau begins.

Both sides fight with a desperation-fueled frenzy, neither yielding the other ground, until from the skies, a great roar issues. Dalamud has begun its final metamorphosis. In a matter of moments, the stone and metal of the moon’s crust crumble away to reveal none other than the elder primal, Bahamut, now free from his ancient prison.

And thus do the people of Eorzea learn what it is that truly faces them. Never was it the White Raven’s intention to blight the realm with Dalamud, but what slumbered within it.

Enraged after aeons of duress, Bahamut unleashes his wrath upon the realm, spewing forth endless fire and destruction. Louisoix quickly conjures a barrier to protect what remains of the Eorzean Alliance, and then begins the arcane rite that will channel the power of the Twelve and focus it into rebinding Bahamut. The sheer force of the primal, however, is too strong for even the Archon, and his efforts fail.

Realizing the end is nigh, Louisoix summons the last of his strength to call upon Althyk, the Keeper, god of space and time, to send those surviving heroes into an aetherial rift, where they are to remain untouched by the passing of the seasons until it is once again safe to emerge…and continue their struggle to forge Eorzea’s future.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:57 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Good read, Louisoix will forever be my hero.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah that was a good read, it's nice to have the story summarized like that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:32 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I didn't realize that the event was happening this weekend. Though truth be told, we've been having tons of network errors after introducing a windows 8 (So shitty, omg...) computer to the network, that I probably wouldn't have been able to enjoy it, anyway.

I gotta admit, however. It's both quite funny and sad at just how poorly implemented the final day event was... I think it's sort of apropos, though. A very appropriate ending to v1.0, if you ask me. lol

The video was pretty bad-ass, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

So are we to assume at this point that Bahamut has basically run amok on the entire planet and killed everyone? Or he only roaming Eorzea and the areas we know. Has he taken out the Imerial Army and all that is to the north?

Has any of the details about the new world been leaked from the alpha? Im pretty sure I read that the spoilerish information has been held back from the alpha, for now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:26 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Not embedding this because you can't turn the subtitles on otherwise, but here's the entire letter from the producer live video from the other day that somebody has gone and subtitled. Click the little subtitles button on the YouTube player to see them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAa7DFkjBos

As for Bahamut, we don't know exactly what happens. I think part of the new 2.0 story will be explaining what happened afterwards. There's supposedly a new dungeon called the Labyrinth of Bahamut, so apparently he decided to go chill down in some dungeon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:36 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

CKD final night of 1.0, sadly posted in reverse order lol. The bottom pic was gathering in Ul'hah before our last venture to MorDhona.

The first pic was the level 100 imperial cannons they rolled out at the very end.

btw Ket how did you resize your imgur pictures in your post? So that they scale down to forum size unless clicked. I posted from mine and they posted at 1920X1080 which looked crazy.

Attachments:
FFXIV_1352616201.jpg
FFXIV_1352616201.jpg [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 1324 times ]
FFXIV_1352616186.jpg
FFXIV_1352616186.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 1324 times ]
FFXIV_1352613374.jpg
FFXIV_1352613374.jpg [ 807.67 KiB | Viewed 1324 times ]
FFXIV_1352613296.jpg
FFXIV_1352613296.jpg [ 851.68 KiB | Viewed 1324 times ]
FFXIV_1352610869.jpg
FFXIV_1352610869.jpg [ 721.12 KiB | Viewed 1324 times ]
FFXIV_1352610726.jpg
FFXIV_1352610726.jpg [ 780.54 KiB | Viewed 1324 times ]
FFXIV_1352583656.jpg
FFXIV_1352583656.jpg [ 811.69 KiB | Viewed 1324 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:29 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

There's a tag I added called imgthumb that lets you scale images, you have to specify the size to thumb it down to. The width the page will take is 800, so:

[imgthumb=800]url[imgthumb]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ok cool, thanks Ket.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:18 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Jumping beans = really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really annoying

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

unwatchable

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

People jumping, and chocobos jumping straight up in the air twice their own height like a flea annoys me to no ends also. I really wish they'd put in a toggle option to block the view of anyone else but your own character jumping. Even if it looks incredibly glitchy I'd rather have people clip through the enviroment than flop around as if the entire planet was a bouncy house.

Edit: I also propose we make a LS rule that anyone who abuses jump in public events gets swiftly kicked lol. We have an image to uphold!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:04 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Sadly it's something we will have to deal with. I'm a jumping bean in fps games, I'll do my best to not let it carry over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:13 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm gonna play 2.0, just so I can jump around Kioko. \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

People forget that it's just a novelty.

Just like Goobbues, everybody will be doing it for the first couple weeks until the novelty will wear off. Then you'll just have the odd one or two people doing it occasionally unless people are intentionally mucking around and wasting time.

I wouldn't worry about it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:12 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Kio and Whisp are gonna hate me and Klu. I jump for the same reasons. Thank you Quake strafe jumping.

As much as some people hate it, ill take that over walking half a zone just to get around a 2 foot fence or a 2 foot cliff drop. IM LOOKING AT YOU LA NOSCEA!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:28 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

SE posted another alpha vid the other day, I just got a chance to watch it and I'm really pleased with what I see. I love how the music kinda flows into a different soundtrack seemlessly as the characters change areas.

Ket Edit: You posted completely the wrong video. Fixed it.

Yarr Edit: haha

Kio Edit: :(

Last edited by Kioko on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:29 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I am a jumping bean. I really don't get what's so annoying about it. :dbanana:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:04 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

More official alpha video:

Today taking us a little deeper into the gridanian forest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:02 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

In other news, Yoshi made a massive forum post about the Alpha that became so big it might as well be a letter from the producer.

Quote:
Hello,

This is Producer/Director Yoshida.

I would like to update you on the plans for the FFXIV: ARR Alpha Test moving forward. However, without an explanation of the Alpha Test content, I don't believe I will be able to properly convey the intentions, so please read the below (sorry that it's really long).

As I mentioned in a previous Letter from the Producer, an MMORPG Alpha Test's goal is for server stress tests, which cannot be accomplished on the development and operations side alone. However, I believe that the image of what a stress test consists of is not really being conveyed. With that said, I'd like to briefly explain below.

FFXIV: ARR Server Construction Overview and Stress Testing

For FFXIV: ARR we have constructed the servers so that each world will have an average peak of 5,000 concurrent users. Since we're only talking concurrent users, it is of course possible to create a number of characters that exceed this number on the same world. Think of 5,000 concurrent players as the maximum number of players on a single world playing during peak time.

However, this is only the concurrency capacity for each world, and in ARR, a world is composed of roughly 40 areas. The basis of this is that players will be dispersed and logging into each of the areas.

In other words, a 40 area server will hold 5,000 players, so a single area server's user capacity would be far below 5,000. Since there is a large range of play styles, varying player levels, and distribution of players among different content, it's highly unlikely that every player is going to concentrate in a single zone. (Though this would be possible if we intentionally wanted to create this condition…)

In FFXIV: ARR the servers were constructed to make it possible to hold 1,000 players per zone, so to put a finer point on it, the reason why we have implemented the Alpha Test is to test if 1,000 players can enter a single zone safely. (Also we're confirming whether it seems like more than 1,000 characters will gather for content and such. If that is the case, we are considering instancing each zone.)

Also this stress test cannot verify how many concurrent battles are taking place, how much gathering is being performed concurrently, how many quests are being worked on, and other aspects by merely only having a lot of people on the zone server.

Naturally there we are performing large scale tests through all of the testers' cooperation:

-Any problems if 300-400 people are moving between areas at the same time?
-Any problems when a lot of users are downloading from the patch server?
-Any client crashes with specific hardware?
-Are monsters' pop/depop systems functioning properly during times of heavy lag?

Why can't a large number of people participate in the Alpha Test?

Due to the fact that the basis of the Alpha Test is for stress testing, the playable content is severely limited when compared to the official release version. The graphics are rough, there are a lot of placeholder UI elements, there are no quest and storylines, and there are a lot of cases where we just have huge numbers of battles going on.

The FFXIV: ARR Alpha Test is limited to the below playable content:

-Only male Hyur Midlanders and female Miqo’te Seekers of the Sun can be used
-Everyone has to make new characters
-Each class level is capped at 20
-Gridania is the only starting city-state
-Disciples of War/Magic classes are limited to lancer, archer, and conjurer
-Disciples of Land/Hand classes are limited to carpenter, leatherworker, and botanist
-The opening is a placeholder specific to the Alpha Test
-Cutscenes have not been implemented (masked with black display)
-TamTara Deepcroft is the only dungeon (for levels 15-20)
-Progression quests are from level 1-10 (There are quests after level 10, but they have not been implemented)
-Guildleves go up to level 15 (crafting leves to 20)

Despite it being an Alpha Test I believe there is quite a bit that is playable, but essentially there are only 4 areas to play in (8 areas included).

We made FFXIV: ARR with extreme fixation on the beginning levels, so with a single starting city, when thousands of people log in at the same time and begin to play, they will level up together and the same zone will always have a high concentration of players. Also, since there is no content in other areas, even when reaching the level 20 cap, players will have to remain in the starting areas.

Since the objective is stress testing, limiting the areas in the Alpha Test to stress test them is the correct approach.

However, as I mentioned before, since we've calculated the maximum stress for each zone to be 1,000 users, by simply increasing the number of players, the number of players in the same zone will increase, which will then make it impossible to play properly due to lag that would not normally occur.

Despite being selected for the Alpha Test, you cannot play satisfactorily like this. The only solution would be to increase the number of Alpha Test worlds.

Also, since playable content is limited in the Alpha Test and character data will be wiped once the Alpha Test concludes, there will be a trend where less users will return and continue logging in. With that said, the general rule is to then sequentially distribute additional accounts and have new testers log in to continue the testing.

Operations is expecting this and estimated that the log in rate would eventually become about 20% in proportion to the number of accounts distributed, but we are currently still maintaining a log in rate of 40%-50%, so the test accounts will be increasing as we continue calculating stress.

Alpha Test Progress

Starting tomorrow, the FFXIV: ARR Alpha Test will enter phase 3 of the 4 total phases.

The first phase was a basic stress test for a single world's operation. The stress test went extremely well thanks to all of the testers, and at this point we were able to eliminate critical stress bugs that were discovered with approximately 850 concurrent users in each zone and 270-280 battles occurring simultaneously. Also, through subsequent tests, we were able to list out all of the processes that make it easy for lag to develop, and smoothed out the processes making it faster.

In Alpha Test phase 2, we opened up the second world, added testers, and conducted tests while simultaneously operating multiple worlds. Luckily there were barely any outstanding problems and in that time we optimized processes and made our final checks for global testing to begin.

Starting tomorrow, we will enter phase 3 and begin global operation testing as well as age testing with long operation hours. To coincide with phase 3, test accounts were distributed to all regions on November 26.

From phase 4 we plan on conducting world merge testing, and we will decide on the schedule as we monitor the conditions of phase 3. However, since everyone's requests are so strong, we are looking into opening the Alpha Test worlds as close to the end of the year as possible. (We can’t really call it an Alpha Test then, but…)

After Alpha Test Account Distribution and Future Distribution Plans

We are unable to publicly announce the exact number of Alpha Test accounts that have been distributed, and we appreciate your understanding. However, percentage wise, as of November 27, 1/4 of the total number of entrants in Japan have been given accounts, this is North America’s first round and 1/6 of their total have been given accounts, and Europe's total was originally small so they have been given around 1/3 of their total.

In regards to future additions, we will be testing phase 3 stability until December 2, and would like to add testers from December 3. Also, in order to address stress created from adding testers, we will be opening the third Alpha Test world on December 3, even though this was not the original plan.

From December 3 we will watch the log in rates once every two days and continue to add users as necessary. We will be adding thousands per week; however, the decision of how many we can add will boil down to stress conditions, so we appreciate your understanding.

A Request Regarding Alpha Test Account Increase Percentages

Everyone on the team would like to hand out a lot of accounts to those who applied -- especially since everyone's demands are so strong and also since the current version is no longer in service.

With that said I have a request to those players selected for the test. If at all possible, please play on the second or third world when participating in the Alpha Test.

As stated above, due to the Alpha Test content released, if players focus on one world the stress would become unbelievable and we would have to then be extremely careful calculating test account additions.

Currently, we have two worlds in operation, Chocobo and Moogle. Please do your best to create characters and play on Moogle. Also, for those players that join the Alpha Test from December 3, it would help out a great deal if you could select the third world to play on.

That's all for now!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:14 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

To be clear, you did, or didn't, have to actually apply to be part of the alpha/beta testing?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

You did have to apply.

It sounds like a lot of invites are coming. Check your email people!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:18 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

If you didn't apply, you can still do so. However, I believe they said you had to have an active FFXIV account (at the time billing was ceased for server shutdown) to be chosen. That said, I heard of a bunch of people without one getting in. So it's worth a shot I guess:

http://entry.ffxiv.com/alpha/index_en.html

They're sending out more e-mails in a week or so it seems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:02 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Okay. I'm casually interested in it. I just wasn't sure if action was required to do so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion