It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:51 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: Magitek Armored Mounts.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:49 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

So awesome.

Post subject: Re: Magitek Armored Mounts.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:22 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Snow? I don't remember any snowy areas... Maybe I'm just crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:40 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It's Narshe! And it looks like Terra riding the magitek....god I would love an HD FF6 remake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:40 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Have to say... that video was boring as fuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:20 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

For people not keeping track, this was actually a teaser they showed at the start of the last live producer letter, just to tease the Magitek Armor mounts themselves. I guess they figured that since people liked seeing them they'd make a video about it.

Kioto wrote:
Snow? I don't remember any snowy areas... Maybe I'm just crazy.

I can't remember the source right now, but I'm pretty sure the calamity caused Coerthas (or at least parts of it) to be buried under heavy amounts of snow (think Dinosaur Meteor = Ice Age).

Kayne wrote:
Have to say... that video was boring as fuck

Sounds like what somebody who never played FF6 would say. Though I must admit, keeping the entirety of the "lead-up" on the teaser used while people were waiting for the live-stream to start was silly. They might as well have just cut straight to the reveal.

And finally, here's a shot not used in the video itself, made to mimic the actual FF6 intro:

This all comes from the FFXIV Dev Blog. Something most people still seem to be unaware exists:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:13 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Yeah, I never played FF6 but Pam has and was excited to see it, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:02 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's right Ket. I'm just so used to seeing stuff so closely related to 1.0 that I forgot there will be new/different zones.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

haha. I still remember the Christmas when I got that game and that opening sequence. I brought my SNES over to my grandparents' house and hooked it up in the back room. Poor Vicks and Wedge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

FF6 is one of my all time favorite games...if not my all time favorite. Kefka is my definately my favorite villan ever. The opera scene is my favorite instance out of any video game. I get chills every time I see and hear the opera theme. The character development was amazing and the story was so captivating. No 16 bit game has sucked me into the story like FF6. When they released the FMVs for the playstation version I watched them over, and over, and over, and over. I've played through FF6 entirely atleast 30 times on the various platform releases. And I would gladly play through it again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:26 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

god ff6 was amazing. i especially loved that feeling you get in narshe, its like a wintry town in the mountains and you dont really know whats going on but its basically that a magical entity is being unearthed there after centuries of magic being lost to the history books. the developers really set the atmosphere there perfectly. best snow area ever. (second being secret of mana with the evil santa claus)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:36 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That reminds me, I need to finish playing secret of mana on my iphone. I loved that game on SNES and haven't replayed it since.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:08 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah. FF6, SoM and Chrono Trigger are probably my top 3 SNES RPGs of my childhood. I loved playing SoM with two other friends. That was awesome back in the old days. Sort of like a Diablo before there was a Diablo. haha

FF4 gets a special shout out, as that was the first RPG that I absolutely fell in love with. I played FF: Mystic Quest and Dragon Warrior 1 before hand, but FF4 really sucked me in. Looking back on it, it's not as great as FF6, but it gets major points just for nostalgia purposes for me.

I still think Rydia is probably one of my most favorite RPG characters ever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:46 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah FF4 is amazing too. That's my second most played RPG/video game ever. It's what really sucked me into the final fantasy series. The Palom and Porom instance is sad every time I see it.

Rydia is awesome. I still get goosebumps when she comes back out of nowhere in the underworld and saves everybody. Damn now I want to play that again lol. There is somebody on our server in FFXIV named Rydia Mysidia.

I still remember the first time I played FF4, I thought the initial fight with Golbez was the last boss fight. I thought it would be the end of the game, and I was sad. The part where Tellah casts Meteo. I in for a treat when I realized that was only like...the first 1/3 of the game lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:31 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

This teaser trailer made me start replaying ff6... so far it was totally the right decision... man this game is amazing. Looks like I'll be replaying ff4 after... thanks pricks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:59 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

EDIT: Split this topic into 3 sections, didn't realise I wrote so much...

FF6

IMO: Best version of FF6 is the GBA version with the SNES music patch applied. The GBA sound chip can't pull off the same stuff the vastly superior SNES chip could, so it was the only part of the port that was really lacking, but some guys managed to fix it and patch it all back in somehow. Magic, I guess.

- Better translation. Fixes most of the spell and ability names ("Merton", really? Try Meltdown.), and has a story translation that more faithfully follows the Japanese version, they kept a few of the silly and popular "Woolsey" translation stuff, but bear in mind that some of the translation lines may not be what you're expecting to hear. (Warning: Submariner = Sandworm.)

- Mores Espers (4? iirc), I think theres a few new spells to go with them. Don't remember what they were.

- Extra dungeons with a bunch of ultimate weapons and lots of hard bosses.

- Optional super bosses, like the Kaiser Dragon which was in the original FF6's code but not implemented in the game. Pretty sure there were one or two others.

It does fix most of the bugs too. And yes, that means no X-Zoning bosses, and no completely and utterly broken evasion stat.

For the uninitiated, the Evade stat in FF6 did absolutely nothing, at all, ever. All attacks, even physical ones, actually use M-Block to determine evade instead. As a bonus, if you can stack >128% M-Block you are invincible to ALL non-unblockable attacks, magical and physical.

FF4

As for FF4: The DS version is pretty good if you can get past the really kinda meh 3D graphics. It took out a lot of stuff from the GBA version though.

GBA version:

- Can change your party once the final dungeon is unlocked. Want to take Yang and Cid into the final dungeon to fight Zeromus? Now you can.

- New extra dungeons designed to get your ex-party members back up to speed with new equipment and ultimate weapons.

- ATB bars! I hated playing FF4 without this simple thing from all the FF games that came after it.

DS version:

- Party switching and extra dungeons all gone.

- Instead, it's possible to augment your final characters with abilities of the leaving ones. Some old and some new. You really have to look up a guide for this though, getting abilities you want is complicated and getting them all requires multiple playthroughs (New Game+). Getting Rosa the "make any spell AoE" ability though is pretty OP. Go-go Blinkga/Hastega.

- Much much much harder. It's a lot harder than the original "Hard mode" FF4 Japanese version. Even normal random encounters can kick your ass if you're not prepared. Most bosses are near impossible if you don't use buffs and debuffs. To counter this, bosses are actually susceptible to debuffs for once. You MUST be casting Slow/Poison/Stop/Stun etc. on them, as well as abusing the hell out of Haste and Blink on yourselves, if you want to stand a chance. This is my reason to play the DS version though, it made the boss battles in particular much more fun.

FF5

However, my go-to replay an FF game is probably FF5. The job system in that game is great, and you can really customize how the first half or so of the game plays out for you by simply picking different classes to play as. Nice and replayable. Then later in the game you can start abusing the customizability of the system and making some broken characters. My personal favourite is using Two-Handed (Knight) + Dual Wield (Ninja) + Barrage (Ranger) to make a character that can hold two-handed weapons in each hand and attack 8 times per turn.

Don't recall how many differences FF5 GBA had, other than it being the only official and decent translation of the game. It had a couple of new dungeons and a few new jobs that I recall not really using much (Necromancer, Cannoneer, Oracle, or something?). Still the best version to play. I think I read it has a similar SNES music patch, but it's music wasn't trashed as much as FF6's was due to having older/simpler music.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:04 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

FFV was a fun game. I did only play through it once, and that was an emulated ZSNES version. It was a lot of fun, but I think the fact that I played it when I was a bit older killed a tad of that wow factor for me. The job system was pretty awesome.

Looking back, I only remember a few parts of it. The pirate cove area, the town with Cid, where I think a fire was involved, and some random basement in some castle that was like a great place to get AP for skills. haha.

And Gilgamesh :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 am 
Spammer, to the max!

I have to say that even though I found the video boring and never played FF6, I do want that version of Terra's theme in the video. Too bad I've searched and apparently it's a new version that hasn't been released yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:45 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

yeah thats one of my top three Final Fantasy tracks Kayne. This new version is pretty cool.

IMO that should be the music playing when mounted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:08 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Off-topic (actually, technically on-topic) but SE have released the full transcript of the Live Producer Letter VI. Not going to bother copying and pasting it because it's huge and will take forever to format.

It's well worth the read, even if you already read the Q&A from the letter when it went live. There's a ton of info in here that wasn't really mentioned.

Link http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61657

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Krellis wrote:
This teaser trailer made me start replaying ff6... so far it was totally the right decision... man this game is amazing. Looks like I'll be replaying ff4 after... thanks pricks.

I'm going to copy you and replay both.

Ketrebu wrote:
FF4

As for FF4: The DS version is pretty good if you can get past the really kinda meh 3D graphics. It took out a lot of stuff from the GBA version though.

Much much much harder. It's a lot harder than the original "Hard mode" FF4 Japanese version. Even normal random encounters can kick your ass if you're not prepared. Most bosses are near impossible if you don't use buffs and debuffs. To counter this, bosses are actually susceptible to debuffs for once. You MUST be casting Slow/Poison/Stop/Stun etc. on them, as well as abusing the hell out of Haste and Blink on yourselves, if you want to stand a chance. This is my reason to play the DS version though, it made the boss battles in particular much more fun.

I played FF4 a lot on SNES when it was FF2 here. The first time I played “hard mode” was on the PSX version. I was blown away by how much harder it was. I remember a few boss battles being a breeze on SNES, yet they were incredibly hard on “hard mode”. The dark elf for example (in the magnet cave), easy boss normally…..but I died so many times I left like it was literally impossible to beat it. I would approach fights like that and take them lightly, only to be blown away by how much harder they are.

The DS was a whole new level of difficulty. I couldn’t believe how many times my party was wiped out in random encounters, especially towards the end of the game. Some of those zones were so frustrating to explore (like Bahamuts lair on the moon for example) simply because of the fear of dying and losing all of my progress. I also felt the random encounter rate was stupid high in some areas.

I did get that insanely low drop to receive the augment for no random encounters. That made my second playthrough a little more enjoyable/less stressful.

Also the DS version is cool because you get to see Kluya omg.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:11 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Kayne wrote:
I have to say that even though I found the video boring and never played FF6, I do want that version of Terra's theme in the video. Too bad I've searched and apparently it's a new version that hasn't been released yet.

Yarr wrote:
yeah thats one of my top three Final Fantasy tracks Kayne. This new version is pretty cool.

IMO that should be the music playing when mounted.

Racked up so many hours just listening to that in the background... I find myself doing it in the replay too... just leave it on the world map, turn the shit up and do stuff around the house. I really like how menacing this new version sounds... really hope it's in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

FF6 is my favorite of the entire series to date. Terra's theme holds a special place in my heart also. It's beautiful, complex, and epic. It was also one of the first songs I learned to play on the piano when I was a wee thing.

I wish a FF game would give me feels like this again.

I really want for 6 to get a remake, but at the same time I'm afraid for SE to touch it. I'm not happy with the many...many...many remakes of IV they pooped out recently. VI is rather perfect as it is, but I always wonder in the back of my mind what it would have been like with modern graphics and cinematics. I thought that the PS1 version was going to be that way, but it was just a video at the opening. :(

V wasn't all that bad, I was interested in a story based around dragons that were revered rather than villians. However, I always get stuck in a dungeon very early on in the game and rage quit immediately after. ^^;

I wish Distant Worlds would come to my area ; ;

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:12 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The Phantom Forest song is still one of the more haunting songs I can think of when I think of VG music. I absolutely loved it. I was so sad at how short that particular zone was, in the grand scheme of things. Seems like such a waste of a beautiful track.

I even set it as my ring tone there for awhile.

There was a very pretty version of Terra's theme that I have at home. I think it was Terra's theme. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but yah... Absolutely beautiful music in FF6. The Chrono Trigger/Cross music definitely gives it a run for it's money, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:02 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Ridere wrote:
The Phantom Forest song is still one of the more haunting songs I can think of when I think of VG music. I absolutely loved it. I was so sad at how short that particular zone was, in the grand scheme of things. Seems like such a waste of a beautiful track.

I even set it as my ring tone there for awhile.

There was a very pretty version of Terra's theme that I have at home. I think it was Terra's theme. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but yah... Absolutely beautiful music in FF6. The Chrono Trigger/Cross music definitely gives it a run for it's money, though.

oh hey, it's the Rabao song from my FFXI music replacement pack :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:49 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I would like to replay chrono chross. I thought I was the only person who liked that game lol. I loved the intro, one of my favorite FMV intro's for any game ever. Is it available on PSN store? It should be!

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News