It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

If I play, what should I name myself
Dead Legend 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
Deadlegend -Lastname- 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Something completely different 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: The Dumb question/Too lazy to search 3 years of data thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:57 pm 
DL Hughley

Same thing that happens to me with every Final Fantasy. I ignore it and Ignore it and a week before release I get the fever. I've mostly ignored the information about FF14 after the first few months or so, so please allow me a few lazy asshole questions:

1: Are there Dragoons and Paladins and are they so awesome your face melts?

2: Is there a Red Mage analogue?

3: What's the monthly fee going to be?

4: Am I missing out on anything if I can no longer access my original SE account used with FFXI?

5: Are those male Mithra or have I lost it?

6: To that end, does choice of race affect your ability to play a job more so than in FFXI?

7: Auto-run?

8: How about solo play? I played FFXI solo a lot despite the difficulty and inherent slowness and still enjoyed it. How does this game's solo play, farming/exp etc compare to XI

9: After 3 years of deliberation I still haven't figured out a name. Across all servers I was the only Deadlegend in the world during my time on XI and I still value the name and meaning. See attached poll.

10: Can you have more than one linkshell/guild?

Thanks mofos.

Post subject: Re: The Dumb question/Too lazy to search 3 years of data thr
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:46 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

DeadLegend wrote:
Same thing that happens to me with every Final Fantasy. I ignore it and Ignore it and a week before release I get the fever. I've mostly ignored the information about FF14 after the first few months or so, so please allow me a few lazy asshole questions:

1: Are there Dragoons and Paladins and are they so awesome your face melts?

2: Is there a Red Mage analogue?

3: What's the monthly fee going to be?

4: Am I missing out on anything if I can no longer access my original SE account used with FFXI?

5: Are those male Mithra or have I lost it?

6: To that end, does choice of race affect your ability to play a job more so than in FFXI?

7: Auto-run?

8: How about solo play? I played FFXI solo a lot despite the difficulty and inherent slowness and still enjoyed it. How does this game's solo play, farming/exp etc compare to XI

9: After 3 years of deliberation I still haven't figured out a name. Across all servers I was the only Deadlegend in the world during my time on XI and I still value the name and meaning. See attached poll.

10: Can you have more than one linkshell/guild?

Thanks mofos.

1. Yes and yes. Although dragoon doesn't get a wyvern any more; it's more of a standard DPS class.

2. No red mage yet. Bard is now an archer so that it can do some half-decent DPS while still being support, so there's that. Or if you want to be a debuff kind of support, I hear that's what Arcanist/Scholar now does.

3. About the same as XI if all you want is 1 character. $12.99/month.

4. Only if your XI account is still subbed. Not sure if still applies to 2.0, but you got a pair of flee boots on a newly created character if you had an active paid XI sub at the time it's made. Otherwise, having both on the same account doesn't do anything.

5. Male Mithra yes. Selectable starting race (along with female). The "Galka" also have a female equivalent.

6. Not at all. There's like a 1-2 stat different between each race's STARTING stats, and they all go up at the same rate for all races. At level 50 your stats are around ~200, so a 1-2 point difference is nothing. HP/MP differences are basically zero too since they're determined by your stats now. You can also augment yourself with materia and also allocate bonus stat points however you want.

7. Yes. Not only that, but /follow actually correctly follows people through zone lines.

8. Solo is not only possible but encouraged. There's a ton of solo-based content now, and every class is capable of soloing monsters quickly and easily, even White Mage. You can solo your way all the way to exp cap if you wanted. Story quests, dungeons, missions etc need you to party up still, but there's a fancy "auto party" feature that actually WORKS. I mean it! It does!

9. As long as you don't mind NPCs calling you "Dead", lol, I'd go with Dead Legend personally.

10. You can only be in one "company" (Guild). However, Linkshells are now basically social chat channels, and you can be in up to 8 linkshells at the same time. You can even talk in all 8 of them at the same time, by using /l1 Hi /l2 Hello, etc. You don't actually "equip" linkshells anymore, you are in all 8 at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:56 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

Having the NPCs call you "Dead" will probably make for a few very funny dialogues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:56 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Dead you need to play with us omg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 am 
DL Hughley

Awesome, thanks Ket.

That's weird that the races all have the same stat growth. The few major differences of stats in XI were mainly in terms of best compared to worst, ie: Elvaan STR versus Mithra/Taru STR but it was still something to consider. The funny thing is a lot of people didn't realize Mithra were more like Hume than Taru for the most part. Hard to choose between male/female Mithra. I originally chose Mithra over Taru in XI because I figured it'd look cooler in fights. This paid off with sword and spear weapon skills. I can only assume the lady version would get fancier attacks than the male version but that wasn't always the case in XI. Hume women looked ridiculous with anything but a bow and arrow, same for Elvaan fem with sword/shield.

Most players called me Dead and shortened it to DL if needed, so that's par for the course.

In terms of the difference between linkshells and companies, how are they established? In XI you just went to the lady on the dock and bought a shell, named it, colored it, and off you went. Are the separate entities in XIV visible, colored, and named uniquely?

When I started reading your post I heard Liquid Snake's voice but by the end I only heard Simon Templeman.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:17 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

DeadLegend wrote:
In terms of the difference between linkshells and companies, how are they established? In XI you just went to the lady on the dock and bought a shell, named it, colored it, and off you went. Are the separate entities in XIV visible, colored, and named uniquely?

That's still how it works, you just buy one from the NPC. Linkshells no longer have colors or crests, that functionality has been moved to Companies (guilds). You can still name them though.

You can also invite people to linkshells remotely, you don't have to physically trade them a pearl item any more. There's no pearl item you have to carry.

Companies get much fancier crests instead of just a color, you get to design a little badge/shield with multiple colors and even a picture. However, they don't appear floating next to your name anymore.

Once your company has levelled up, you unlock the ability to put the crest on your armor instead. So while you won't have your little linkshell ball of color floating above your head, you can have it put on the middle of your shield, or on your hat, or your chest or back. We would have probably unlocked it yesterday if people could log in, because we're 3/4s there now, but alas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:35 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

How exactly are we ranking it up, Ket? Just logged in people, trading items, or something? I never got to that point, because I errored out before I could fight Ifrit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Quote:
8. Solo is not only possible but encouraged. There's a ton of solo-based content now, and every class is capable of soloing monsters quickly and easily, even White Mage. You can solo your way all the way to exp cap if you wanted. Story quests, dungeons, missions etc need you to party up still, but there's a fancy "auto party" feature that actually WORKS. I mean it! It does!

I was pretty impressed with this aspect of the game. I was able to solo CNJ up to lvl 20 without many problems, and cleric stance allows you to switch between damage and healing modes.

Although other people seemed to have some issues with the duty finder, I thought it worked good for the hests and dungeon runs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:31 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It seemed to rank up by individuals in the GC completing storyline quests and such. As if those quests granted exp that went towards the overall GC progress. For example I saw our GC rank jump up after I turned in the second to last main storyline quest.

I like that stat alloction isn't heavily focused on race. In FFXI some races were incredibly gimped unless they got a shitload of merits to offset the difference. i.e. galka BLM or taru PLD. This game allows you to choose whatever race you want without punishing you for not playing certain classes geared towards that race.

I think you should go as Dead Legend the male mithra. And you should start this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:17 pm 
DL Hughley

omahgahd How can I start this weekend when it comes out the 27th

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:36 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™
The Original Dark Knight™

Preorders include early access which begins this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:48 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

^^ that. If you order it for PC or PS3 on Amazon they will email you a code to play early.

They are also offering $10 gift certificates and shit on Amazon. That seems to be the place to go.

We're on the Hyperion server btw

Last edited by Kluya on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:50 pm 
DL Hughley

but how can I play early if the disc arrives 5 days later, lol or are they offering the whole thing fully downloadable like a normal game

All of the makesense has leaked out of my head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:52 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

People have been playing beta on PS3 with no hardcopy. They give you a download code that lets you download the game directly to your PS3 online. Similar to when you purchase a game on the PSN store. It's about a 7GB file I believe (after updates).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:08 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I believe you get a download code when you enter your pre-order code on the website that should be going live tomorrow. ("Mog Station"?)

You could also have signed up to the PS3 beta yesterday, and you got the download code then. Bearing in mind that the beta 4 client is actually the retail client, I now have the PS3 version currently sitting on my PS3. I intend to use it to stay online should my PC ever break and/or too busy being used for something else.

EDIT: You need to own both the PS3 version and PC version and have them linked to the same service account to use your character on both platforms.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:12 pm 
DL Hughley

So then the disc would just basically be for backup?

Also I just glanced at my TV and saw my psn name (Ikuinen Pimea), Moonsorrow lyrics are now throwing all kinds of monkey wrenches into possible names. haha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:59 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

A name change might be fun....just don't do a game of thrones name lol. 50% of our server rerolled to those names.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:11 pm 
DL Hughley

Placed my order.

Legends never yadda yadda.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:14 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

I'm so excited. That is all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:43 pm 
DL Hughley

The game is all downloaded and installed and my account is linked to my PSN account, so I can read the basic gameplay manual included there now.

How about the storyline stuff? From the look of it the story progressed during beta and what's coming out now takes place after that (Bahamut arriving and killing the Ramuh-looking guy, 7th Umbral era, etc). Has the story progressed and was the Beta an actual prologue separate to what will be taking place in the game? Is there a way to replay that stuff?

Tehkei mentioned a battle taking place 5 years before the outset of the game, is that stuff essentially history gone forever unless you played beta? If so that's pretty cool for beta people, like getting to be an actual part of the Crystal War in XI before it was ever actually an option in Wings of the Goddess. Kind of sucky for neophytes though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:52 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Beta storyline was not separate. You'll be able to play everythign we've played through in the beta.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion