It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:29 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: PS3 SSD comparison
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:52 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Guy put an SSD in one Playstation and compared the load times and playability to the regular hard drive. I'm a bit surprised its that much better on PS3, even though its technically a computer anyway. Might be worthwhile for anyone that only runs on PS3.

Post subject: Re: PS3 SSD comparison
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:22 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Neat video. My PC has an SSD in it now and I wouldn't use a PC without one anymore, they make such a huge difference.

When it comes to the PS3, you have to remember that it only has a tiny amount of RAM compared to even 7-8 year old PCs. About 256MB (0.25GB) system and 256MB video, while my PC has 24.0GB system and 2.0GB+ video. RAM is just so damn cheap now.

But with such a tiny amount of RAM, the PS3 is forced to keep reloading everything off the hard disk instead of keeping it in memory. Even in a PC with a similar slow 5400RPM drive, once that data is loaded it can be kept in memory and never loaded again, but the PS3 must keep cycling that data and reloading all the various pieces of armor, terrain, etc, as you and other people move around. So I can see how it makes a major difference.

All that said, I'd recommend you jump on the PS4 wagon ASAP if you insist on playing on a console. But if you simply insist on playing with a controller, then you really should just get one for your PC and play it on there. PS3s are like 8 year old technology now and it really shows. The worst part is when it holds back PCs due to multi-platform system parity.

Next-gen can't come soon enough.

Post subject: Re: PS3 SSD comparison
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:24 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

My SSD has Battlefield 3 and Diablo 3 installed on it, neither of which I play anymore. I should wipe it and just put FFXIV on it.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion