It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:44 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Re: Where'd You Get Your Name: XIV Edition
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:03 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Glad to know I pronounce Rein the same way Rein pronounces Rein.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:14 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

My name origin will reveal how much of a nerd I am...

Athel Vanya was an RP character on a Tolkien RP forum that I participated in probably 12 years ago. Athel I made up cause I liked the way it sounded, and Vanya is Tolkien Elvish for "the fair" as in light/pale. They were the most awesome of the high elves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanyar if you're a Tolkien nerd like me or interested in any way XD

In 11 I just went with Athel, and then over the years after hearing people butcher my name over and over I fixed it so more people pronounce it the way I intended (hence Athelle :-b)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:05 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I was Cruxis in final fantasy xi from Gilgamesh and Cruxis Aurion from FFXIV 1.0. The name comes from Tales Of Symphonia an organization of angels named Cruxis . The last name I choose was from the game as well it was the last name of one of the main characters Kratos Aurion.

When I played Star Wars the Old Republic I was called blackoutnova, starscreamnova etc from the old server hyper space cannon. I used the same name when I played COD and battlefield starscreamnova.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:00 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I've been using Wararies for as long as I can remember being able to name main characters in RPG games. I first saw the name in a really bad sub of an anime talking about Ares the God of War. "The Wararies demands your death!" or something similar it was a 1980's anime movie that for the life of me I can't remember the name. I really liked the look of it and have been using it since.

Hyreathan is Ethan Hyra swapped around to sound better. He was a character I wrote in a lot of detective comics when I was really young and wanted to be a comic writer with my artist best friend.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:36 am 
The Original Dark Knight™

Wararies wrote:
Hyreathan is Ethan Hyra swapped around to sound better. He was a character I wrote in a lot of detective comics when I was really young and wanted to be a comic writer with my artist best friend.

Ha, that was my aspiration for a long time as well. I made a lot of connections at DC/Marvel and am friends with a few "big shots" and upcoming artists. I never can get myself to start writing anything anymore, I guess that's what I get for being addicted to MMOs and having a girlfriend that demands the rest of my free time. Haha.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:22 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Cruxis wrote:
I was Cruxis in final fantasy xi from Gilgamesh and Cruxis Aurion from FFXIV 1.0. The name comes from Tales Of Symphonia an organization of angels named Cruxis . The last name I choose was from the game as well it was the last name of one of the main characters Kratos Aurion.

When I played Star Wars the Old Republic I was called blackoutnova, starscreamnova etc from the old server hyper space cannon. I used the same name when I played COD and battlefield starscreamnova.

lol i knew that name sounded familiar. I played tales of symphonia so many times haha. I own the game for game cube but i dont own a game cube >.>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:35 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

tehkei wrote:
Cruxis wrote:

lol i knew that name sounded familiar. I played tales of symphonia so many times haha. I own the game for game cube but i dont own a game cube >.>

lol me too, im really surprised at myself that i didnt pick up on it all this time.
also apologies to athelle, i always thought your name was a purposeful misspelling of ethyl, as in alcohol. >.>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:02 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kioko wrote:
also apologies to athelle, i always thought your name was a purposeful misspelling of ethyl, as in alcohol. >.>

omg i'm calling her that from now on. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:10 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Kioko wrote:

rofl, Kio. That's so fitting, I love it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol, Kio.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:53 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

now that you mention it, when ever she is on mumble she is always drinking. :staredad:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:13 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

Vurin was my first "mmo handle" Created back in 2001 or so when I played Everquest's RIse of kunark Expansion. The name itself I believe came from me using a random name generator/list and looking for names I liked.

Lackies came about while I was playing wow and was rolling a hunter alt and none of my normal names seemed right or were already used. I guess the name is one part hunter joke where in my mind the Hunter was the pet's Lackey or the pets were lackies or some such. And one part homage to one of my favorite author's back in highschool: Mercedes Lackey.

I use them together mostly because Lackies is my prefered internet name these days and vurin so old ass motherfuckers with alzheimer's can remember who I am.

Also I use lackies when I play a female character ( but it works fine for males) and Vurin is for when I play male characters ( cause it doesn't work for female characters to me)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:23 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Omg I don't drink that much >.< lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:42 pm 
DL Hughley

Obvious Sandlot inspiration aside, I just like the words "Dead Legend" and the creation of legend in culture. I've always been interested in history and mythology (though legend and myth are separate concepts). Other than that at this point I'm one of the weirdos who's actually a little more more pleasant on the internet than real life, where I am mostly obsessed with being miserable, dying, and fading from memory. So there you have it.

I sometimes called characters "Dead" in single player games but not often before XI. I was the only Deadlegend on earth in FFXI, but there are a handful in 14. I had a taru cooking mule in XI with my real name. I have a retainer and a side character called Oathkeeper and Oath Keeper respectively and also had a linkshell in XI called Oathkeeper. I enjoyed the events surrounding the Oathkeeper keyblade in Kingdom Hearts and (giant fag moment incoming) I only have long hair in real life because of a promise I made, so eh.

I considered a few names for 14 aside from DL but the only ones really in the running were Starless Darkness, Nessun Dorma, and Moon Sorrow (my favorite band).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:35 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

I added beans to the name everyone calls me in real life. .. There you go

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:43 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Sanniang Yan is Yan San Niang (third lady yan --- roughly translated...). Named after one of the main characters from a recent tv wuxia drama, Guai Xia Yi Zhi Mei = Strange Heroes Plum Blossoms?? (Guai = strange, Xia = heroes, Yi Zhi Mei = branch of plum blossoms --- someone with a much better grasp of chinese correct me here - I'm a yellow belly immigrating bastard who's been white-afied)

Noodlebrain was chosen because I couldn't fit ChickenNoodleSoup in FFXI and I could only fit ChickenNoodle. I like chicken noodle soup so I often go by that moniker or some variant (e.g CNSjunkie, CNS) -- not too imaginative :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:11 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

In 2000, I was in s. Korea at Osan air base. Use To go downtown a lot to drink, favorite place was called Chickenhead Labs. Bartender there was awesome, made the place feel like cheers on pcp (everyone knew your name, you just did know/want to know why.). Well he had 2 animals that he kept in the bar; one dog named Kegogi (Korean dog meat use for food) and a bunny named Tokitung (rabbit stew). The rabbit would always come over to me and lick the liquor from the edge of my glass or a bottle near me, then start roaming the bartop hitting on ladies to pet him. Awesome little guy, so when I left s. Korea, I started using that name for everything. Anywhere, anything on the Internet with Tokitung is 9/10 times from me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:22 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Well on v1.0, my last name was Chicharito in honor of the mexican soccer player; but really it just means 'little pea' so I thought it fitted since I was a taru then a lallafel and I was trying to be funny; I really don't care at all about sportsball (all the organized sports people go crazy for). Then I changed to Deschain in v2.0 because...well I'm a loving wife; I also don't care at all about Stephen King (sorry Kayne).

I wish I had a fun story for my first name, but I don't; it's just one of the many spins of my name my family has used on me. It's the diminutive of my name. Part of my family calls me that because they grew taller tan me (I'm 5' tall). The end.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:47 am 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

Yarr Came up with it quickly while I was making my character for FFXI. I liked the Short form Tal and liked the name. He made prolly some bull up about it being a name of some sun god or something. He didn't sound too confident when he was explaining it. I even think the sentence ended with "blah blah blah". I've always pronounced it Tal-sin. I always thought it was weird when someone adds in the "I" in it. or Says "Tali" in short. but whatever.

"Tiel" as a last name was a thought up by my wife and I about a Character on the TV show Supernatural lol. We liked this guy that was is an angel and his name is Castiel. Tiel felt like it was like Superman's Kal-el the house of EL. Jor-el ect. So as if he has a blood line Originating from the heavens.

I also made the looks of Talisin based off a older/aged version of FFXI's Talisin. I have a scar across his eye and that eye whited out as if he had been blinded. His body little bigger less skinny and youthful and his hair is a more grown out lazier Top not that most remember me as. I wanted him too look as if he was hiding in the mountains from ppl untill now and that this is what he is like.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:50 am 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

If anyone has a pic of Talisin in FFXI i'd love to do a Face side by side of the Talisin in FFXI and FFIV. I lost all my Screen shots in a Hard drive crash.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:57 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Most of my names come from greek, latin, or a scandanavian language with a meaning that pertains to the character's class. My usual main's name, Canalar (latin, "to channel", used in reference to both fluids and magical power) was disallowed by FFXIV (apparently the filter sees it at cANALar).

Theios is a greek word that means "of or pertaining to God", or "Divine"; it is my most common name for primary, cleric-style or studious healers (as opposed to nature-worshiping healers like Druids). Since I wanted to start as a healer, this became my main in FFXIV.

Veneficus is latin for "poisoner" or "sorcerer", depending on context. FFXIV is the first game that insisted on a last name, so I tried to find something in a hurry before character creation on Hyperion was locked again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:03 pm 
DL Hughley

Always thought Talisin was just a typo or second try at Taliesin, the Celtic bard. I liked it better that way. You suck Tal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:06 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:29 am 

Talisin being a bum in the mountains. I knew it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:29 pm 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

Reinheld wrote:
Talisin being a bum in the mountains. I knew it.

I nailed my look then.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion