It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: philosophy currency will be removed next patch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:47 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

according to a recent interview:
I feel like items that correspond to Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy will basically be a waste after this patch. How are you dealing with that?

Yoshida: After the patch, you won't obtain Philosophy anywhere - it will be replaced with Mythology. There will be a NPC available which allows you to exchange currency at a predetermined rate.

What will happen to Darklight equipment which you were able to obtain for Philosophy?

Yoshida: It will be changed to a normal dungeon drop. It will drop in the dungeons which are added to the high level roulette. Instanced dungeons will have equipment at level 70, Crystal Tower will be level 80, and Turns 1-5 of Bahamut Coil as well as mythology gear will be level 90. The increase in item level should lead to growth on the main job. When we raise the level cap with an expansion and add additional dungeons and field area, that will lead to overall character growth.

i wonder if its worth spending everything on stockpiles of the crafting items, if they are only direct rewards they may become valuable on the market again. also, if theres anything you want darklight nows the time to buy it.

full artical translation can be read here http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/120472 ... ost6061123

Post subject: Re: philosophy currency will be removed next patch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Seems unnecessary but doesn't bother me. I've been capped on Philo on both Ath and Felicity for weeks and haven't cared.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:57 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If that means that we can expect current Philo drop rates for myth in 2.2, I welcome this. With Vanity + dyes, there's a chance that some darklight might be interesting to wear, but we can always farm the dungeons for them, if needbe.

Getting 300 myth for doing a storyline roulette after 2.2, however, is very nice. Getting your alt jobs up to full i90 won't take very long at all, which is great news.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:12 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Yeah Philo needs to go away but more to my concern how is vanity going to work with darklight caster and tank set? Since the bodies both count as head and chest piece.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:43 am 
Tough!
Tough!

Does that mean you won't need oil for relic weapon too :( I spent philo buying those already for my non 50 classes :( better get leveling and relics done :s

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:57 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I find this a bit of an odd development.

Okay, I get that Philosophy Tomes were getting kind of worthless to those of us with oodles of Mythology gear/Tomes, especially with how quickly you could farm them, but surely the point of Philosophy Tomes was to provide gear for the newly levelled people who didn't yet have that much Mythology? Either because of the weekly cap or because their gear wasn't yet good enough to reliably farm Mythology.

So their solution was to... remove Philosophy Tomes, and make Mythology Tomes as easy to get as Philosophy was....? I'm not sure I get what they're trying to accomplish. If the problem was that Mythology is so easy to get that Philosophy is worthless (I blame Crystal Tower for this) then why is the solution to just remove Philosophy?

Okay, so there's a new tier of tomes in 2.2. So those are just going to become the new weekly capped Mythology tomes? Philosophy gear will now just drop from the dungeons that used to drop lLvl 55 gear? And Mythology are now just Philosophy? Surely the new tier of tomes (and its gear) just needs to come from Coil 6+ and the new Amdapor dungeon and everything would work? I just don't understand what removing one of the tiers of gear achieves.

My head hurts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:28 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Haha yeah it's confusing. I think it was stated in that interview that he would explain more during the live letter.

I don't think philo was useless but it was something given away like bees from Opera for events no longer at the appropriate character level. There's no reason for it to have been a compilation prize at CT for instance.

I'm not sure how I feel about the tome system altogether really. I like the option of being able to choose your prize and get rewarded for doing content in general. I don't mind if top players whom form static groups to do harder content like coil get better gear, as long as the gear I can earn for my casual play is good enough so that it doesn't bar me from other content (from both iLevel requirements and elite player harassment). Tomes were good for that. But it feels strange that I could essentially now farm myth on my geared class, and then gear up a secondary class from af1 directly to af2. It pretty much negates the need for CT and every dungeon downward. That's extremely convenient though so my lazy side is cheering but my logical side is wondering how that will balance out.

I wonder if the new gathering nodes alluded to earlier this week are where they are going to dump the philo bought crafting mats. As for the relic item I would assume it will become something simply purchased with myth instead. They wouldn't remove an item that was required for quests.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:17 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, Kio...

Sadly, with the way that they have structured the CT > Coil > CT update pattern, CT is useless. That's just the crux of the deal. CT will basically always be useless, in particular if they keep the weekly loot lockout system in place. As long as lower iLvl gear drops in the CT that appears *after* the better gear from Coil, there will be no major reason to run it.

People could make the argument for alts, or whatever, which is fine. But if brand new content is only good for your off jobs, then the content update system is bad. They need to either double down on one patch, and release both a CT upgrade and Coil upgrade at the same time (and then go back to a CT upgrade the next patch), or they need to do one CT that is actually better than the current best Coil gear. Either of those scenarios would make CT useful for at least 3 months at a time.

As for removing Philosophy... We don't need 6 currencies in 3 years. And we certainly don't need a new player to grind out 6 different gear sets on those 6 currencies in order to reach end-game. It sounds like they have decided to adopt the idea that new players should be able to gear up to the "entry-level" end-game gear easily, which then opens the door for them to start doing end-game content with their friends. I'm okay with this.

It's worth noting, however, that getting rid of Philo, and bringing in a new tomestone name, is kind of weird. So I wonder if they originally didn't plan to get rid of Philo and actually have 3 currencies (Something I thought was super stupid), and then had an epiphany. Seems like just keeping the two currency names we're used to would have been better. Sure, it would have been accompanied by a Myth wipe/reset, but with enough advanced warning, that's no big deal. Or they could have just converted players' unused Myth into Philo on patch day (again with warning).

Either way, I see this is a good thing. The best gear in the game will still be on a weekly lockout, be it from Tomestone regulation, or from Coil lockouts. I'm fine with this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:28 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

Cruxis wrote:
Yeah Philo needs to go away but more to my concern how is vanity going to work with darklight caster and tank set? Since the bodies both count as head and chest piece.

Can only replace other 2 piece items. and vice versa i.e. if you have darklight cowl you can only vanity it with another no headgear chest/cowl item.

Quote:
Does that mean you won't need oil for relic weapon too :( I spent philo buying those already for my non 50 classes :( better get leveling and relics done :s

I imagine you'll just buy them with myth same with the crafting components. Or Turn myth into Philo @ some exchange rate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

rid, i dont feel that ct is useless. it was meant to bridge the gap between dungeons like ak to coil. there was no good inbetween. yes, things got awkward releasing coil ahead of ct, but its not something intended for players already participating on coil. for those whom choose to, however, it gave some worth while compilation prizes at least.
now, how it will be post patch will be interesting. its possible in place of myth ct will drop the newer currency then it will still be relavant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Useless is a strong word, I suppose. Perhaps "Far less useful than it deserves to be." would be better.

But still, half of the time, CT is genuinely useless (Coil upgrade patch phases). For instance, in 2.2, with i90 gear being farmable with unlimited weekly lock-out tomestones, there's genuinely no reason to run CT. You'll be able to get myth faster doing Storyline Roulette, or spamming Haukke HM than you would dealing with CT. In particular since CT tends to be heavily trolled.

And then on top of that, the other half of the time (CT upgrade patch phases), CT is only marginally useful in giving you one lower iLvl piece of gear a week, compared to coil, where you could get multiple upgrades of a higher iLvl per week. There's some randomness involved, but CT gear will never be anything more than just something worst than BiS.

Can anyone argue that doing what I suggested (Where half of the time the max iLvl piece of gear you can get does drop from CT) would be a bad thing?

Either releasing an upgrade for Coil and CTin the same patch (Perhaps expensive from a development standpoint), or just making one CT update where the iLvl bump is 20 higher than normal, would make it so every update provides you content to get upgrades for your primary job.

Just makes more sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:39 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

This is exactly how WoW does end game dungeon gear.

1) Philo is the entry level currency and i70 gear is purchased with it.
2) Myth Gear is the mid level currency and can purchase i90 gear
3) End Game Dungeon Drops gear slighly better than myth gear.

Next patch

1) Philo is replaced by Myth and now entry level gear is i90.
2) New currency is introduced and mid level gear is now i95
3) End Game Dungeon drops gear slighly better than i95 gear.

It just cycles like this over and over. I didnt really like the way this worked in WoW and im dissapointed to see SE do almost exactly the same thing. I always felt this was because WoW was more about gearing up and less about skill. FFXIV isnt far from being in the same boat. While its true a very skilled person can do well with no so great gear, its much easier for someone with no skill to do well with high level gear.

Oh and the reason they drop Philo and replace it with Myth is so that everyone starts out with 0 currency for the new high end teir. Otherwise youd have people with 3 pieces of new 2.2 gear on day one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:46 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, with enough warning, it wouldn't be hard to do an sql update to set all iMyth values to 0 across the board on all player tables. If you had a month's warning that myth was going to get wiped on a certain day, you have plenty of time to account for spending it.

On the other hand, they'd have to change all items purchased with myth to be purchased with philosophy instead, so that's more table updates. I guess ultimately it doesn't matter much.

Tomestones of Soldiery is a pretty stupid name, either way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Yarr wrote:

1) Philo is the entry level currency and i70 gear is purchased with it.
2) Myth Gear is the mid level currency and can purchase i90 gear
3) End Game Dungeon Drops gear slighly better than myth gear.

Next patch

1) Philo is replaced by Myth and now entry level gear is i90.
2) New currency is introduced and mid level gear is now i95
3) End Game Dungeon drops gear slighly better than i95 gear.

It just cycles like this over and over. I didnt really like the way this worked in WoW and im dissapointed to see SE do almost exactly the same thing. I always felt this was because WoW was more about gearing up and less about skill. FFXIV isnt far from being in the same boat. While its true a very skilled person can do well with no so great gear, its much easier for someone with no skill to do well with high level gear.

Oh and the reason they drop Philo and replace it with Myth is so that everyone starts out with 0 currency for the new high end teir. Otherwise youd have people with 3 pieces of new 2.2 gear on day one.

I always hated the way WoW did gear like this, I really hate gear grinding. I miss the day when once you got your AF gear in ffxi you where done with gear.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:27 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, there were lots and lots of side-grades. And then there was the 71-75 AF2 from Dynamis. But yah, you were able to be useful for a long time using the same set of gear in that game.

I did get burnt out from WoW from the thought of having to constantly grind heroics each patch for a new set of gear, but I think that's just the name of the game. I don't think S-E could do something like the original FFXI setup. I don't think there'd be enough insentive to keep playing.

The game really needs a ton more of non-gear related activities. We need gardening, we need chocobo raising, we need chocobo racing, put back in Tetramaster and have monsters drop cards. We need some of that stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

i played tetramaster exclusively for like 2 weeks before i ever even logged into 11 for the 1st time, got addicted irl!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:49 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Yarr wrote:

i feel like anything i dislike about ff14 comes from warcraft world

i miss ff11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:07 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Sad thing, Whisp, is that not even FF11 is like FF11 anymore. If they added enough other fun things to do that took time in FF14, and gave a feeling of achievement, I'd be totally fine with side-ways gear. It's just hard to do it in today's MMO market, I think. Or at least it's a hell of a lot easier to subscribe to the gear-based brass ring grabbing philosophy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:00 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Whisp wrote:
Yarr wrote:

i feel like anything i dislike about ff14 comes from warcraft world

i miss ff11

This, although I do like that rewards are easier to come by. The only thing I truly disliked about XI was that it was way too hard to get your drops. But damn, once you did, it was such an amazing high.

And thanks Yarr for the explanation the whole concept makes a lot more sense to me now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

My 75 PLD at it's best had Adamant armor and only like 1300 HP. I thought I was so cool too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:10 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i dont get it why they call it sideways progression. that sounds like a term someone came up with to make it sound bad.

ff11 certainly had progression. this gear was better than that gear.

what ff11 didn't have was entire sets of a dozen pieces of gear that just altogether become unusable when you try harder challenges.

i think a big flaw is the dumbed-down nature of gear stats in this game. vitality and main-stat being on every piece, being linked directly to "gear level" which itself is a stupid concept, and then you have a choice between very few, crappy, secondary stats that people drool over and talk about best in slot and min maxing when in reality the secondary stats dont mean shit.

what ever happened to Dex+3 being a huge deal? whatever happened to gear with special properties like refresh or double damage on windsdays or +10 str if you eat a popoto? there was so much effort put into gear in 11. in 14 its brainless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:30 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, it was absolutely sideways progression.

You equipped noble's tunic for curing, because of the +10% to cures, then AF2 came out, and you equipped that for Regens, because it boosted then regen spell. Both offered similar MND and MP, and both had Refresh.

Then you had all the gear that peopled farmed to use as TP gaining abilities, stuff they'd swap in for their skill chain attacks and such. I mean I came back 5 years later, and Noble's Tunic was still relevant.

So much of the gear had those specialty stat/ability buffs that you always wanted to keep the gear around for macros. hehe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:27 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Sideways progression would be Guild Wars 2 everything in that game was all for skins to make armor and weapons look "cool" Damn that game..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:33 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

well, i agree with the description, i just dont think the term "sideways progression" is an appropriate term to describe it.

i think "gear independent" is probably a better term.
or maybe "smooth progression."
or "building upon variety"

sideways progression just sounds like an oxymoron. you aren't progressing toward your goal if you're moving sideways.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:01 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's fair, Whisp. I don't really care about the actual name of it, or anything. haha.

I just liked it, because I loved the look of the Noble's tunic. that's even before I really knew how awesome it was for WHM. I remember seeing some random JPN player wearing it, and I was all, "Ooooooooooooooh". And it was awesome being able to wear it for a super long time.

But! To play devil's advocate. We didn't have vanity gear back then. And now we will. There's a very good chance that when I get that new Gerolt healing set, I'll keep that as my vanity look for both SCH and WHM. I personally think it's pretty damn awesome looking on a lalafell. I can't wait. Pretty exciting.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion