It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post subject: Chocobo Dyes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:13 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

A few useful links for those of us interested in dying our chocobos.

Examples of what to expect from the certain color choices:
http://www.superslothdesign.com/chocobo/

Remember, There are currently only as many color combinations as their are dye colors. So your goal is to feed your chocobo a combination of fruit to get it to fall within a certain "range" of a dye. There are multiple correct combinations.

Ongoing list of combinations matching to desired dyes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... w?sle=true

Warning:
Only remove your chocobo 6 hours from the last time you fed it, not 6 hours from the first time you fed it (And thus the false timer it gives you when you feed it). If you feed it, wait 2 hours and feed it again, you should be waiting a total of 8 hours from the first feeding, or else you may lose any changes you'd have gained from your feeding 2 hours later.

Update:
Your chocobo will not change any color from feedings until you get a message that "Your chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers." This is different from the standard message you receive about how the plumage will change in 6 hours (or 5 hours and 59 minutes, etc...)

The problem is after you receive the message that it's growing new feathers, you'll probably receive that message every time you feed it again during that 6 hour window. This doesn't mean that you feed it 32 apples, get the new feather message on your 3rd attempt, and then have 29 more new feather messages that are valid, however. You will have no way of knowing how many of those messages are legitimate So if two people feed a chocobo 30 apples, and they both get the "growing new feathers" message on their 3rd feed (And thus every feed afterwards), they can end up with two different colored chocobos.

Because of this, if you aren't in a hurry, your best bet is to feed just enough fruit to get the message once, and stop for 6 hours. Saving you gil at the cost of time.

For instance, starting at Desert Yellow, if you feed a chocobo enough plums to get the message about growing new feathers (hypothetically 3-6) and you stop and wait your 6 hours, your chocobo will come out as Sylph Green. If you feed it more plums (after waiting the 6 hours and seeing the color change, of course) until you get the message about growing new feathers, your chocobo will come out as Snow White.

If you were to just have fed it all 12 plums at once, you'd not be guaranteeing you'd get it to snow white, or you may even have changed it's feathers 3 times, or more! It's random, because you don't know for sure.

The only guaranteed way to get the color you want is to do each change one message of "growing new feathers" at a time.

Example Recipes:

Note: These are all single fruit feedings, stopping as soon as you receive your first "Growing new feathers" message.

Desert Yellow -> Sylph Green
- Plums

Sylph Green -> Snow White
- Plums

Snow White -> Ice Blue
- Plums

Ice Blue -> Celeste Green
- Plums

Celeste Green -> Sky Blue
- Plums

Desert Yellow -> Millioncorn Yellow
- Apples

Millioncorn Yellow - Pumpkin Orange
- Apples

Pumpkin Orange -> Sunset Orange
- Apples

Sunset Orange -> Blood Red
- Apples

Blood Red -> Dalamund Red
- Berries

Desert Yellow -> Salmon Pink
- Valfruit

Salmon Pink -> Rose Pink
- Valfruit

Rose Pink -> Coral Pink
- Valfruit

Coral Pink -> Colibri Pink
- Valfruit

Post subject: Re: Chocobo Dyes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

i cant decide on a color!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:50 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Pink omg!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:10 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Oh hey...does my choco have to be rank 10+ to receive a dye job!?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:23 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Nope!

You just need to belong to a free company, thus have access to the ability to stable your chocobo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:16 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Colibri pink, it shall be!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:39 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Okay, some updates on this.

Your chocobo will not change any color from feedings until you get a message that "Your chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers." This is different from the standard message you receive about how the plumage will change in 6 hours (or 5 hours and 59 minutes, etc...)

The problem is after you receive the message that it's growing new feathers, you'll probably receive that message every time you feed it again during that 6 hour window. This doesn't mean that you feed it 32 apples, get the new feather message on your 3rd attempt, and then have 29 more new feather messages that are valid, however. You will have no way of knowing how many of those messages are legitimate So if two people feed a chocobo 30 apples, and they both get the "growing new feathers" message on their 3rd feed (And thus every feed afterwards), they can end up with two different colored chocobos.

Because of this, if you aren't in a hurry, your best bet is to feed just enough fruit to get the message once, and stop for 6 hours. Saving you gil at the cost of time.

For instance, starting at Desert Yellow, if you feed a chocobo enough plums to get the message about growing new feathers (hypothetically 3-6) and you stop and wait your 6 hours, your chocobo will come out as Sylph Green. If you feed it more plums (after waiting the 6 hours and seeing the color change, of course) until you get the message about growing new feathers, your chocobo will come out as Snow White.

If you were to just have fed it all 12 plums at once, you'd not be guaranteeing you'd get it to snow white, or you may even have changed it's feathers 3 times, or more! It's random, because you don't know for sure.

The only guaranteed way to get the color you want is to do each change one message of "growing new feathers" at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:53 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Added a bunch of single-step color changes to get people headed in the right directions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:30 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Heard a few people report that starting at Desert Yellow and going the plum route will take you to Cream Yellow and Bone White instead of Sylph Green, but that ultimately you still end up at Snow White.

Those are single-steps, too. So either someone forgot that they first changed their color a tiny bit first, or there is still some other RNG again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:59 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I can confirm a few steps from yesterday's feedings:

Desert Yellow -> Sunset Orange (32 Apples, supposedly bypassing Millioncorn Yellow and Pumpkin Orange)

Sunset Orange -> Blood Red (Apples until feather message)

Blood Red -> Dalamun Red (Berries until feather message)

Desert Yellow -> Honey Yellow (Pineapples until feather message)

Desert Yellow -> Cork Brown (Berries until feather message)

Done with my Red and Yellow chocobos (Though yellow was kind of a gimme :P)

Will be working on taking my last two chocobos down the Berry and Pear paths, seeing if I can get to Cactuar Green and Peacock Blue at some point, but Blue will be the toughest, since you need to go through some browns and grays before reaching the blue spectrum.

Edit: At this point, I'm pretty sure that feedings that don't result in the message that the chocobo is growing new feathers is still altering the RGB of your chocobo. I think this may cause some of the outliers on why Desert Yellow + Plums was resulting in different colors. Maybe that first day, some people fed their chocobo some other fruit first that didn't immediately result in a new feather message.

Worst case scenarios, we always can just use a lemon to go back to the starting color.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:06 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I fed mine 30 pears and it only turned apple green :( (yes probably overfed it)

ill be feeding it some plums and see if i get cactuar green

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, I'm going to step my chocobo one message at a time from Desert Yellow to Apple Green, using Pears, so it'll be interesting to see if it takes around 30 Pears, as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:33 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

fed 18 berries got lavender purple (quite nice color)
fed 1 apple got plum after that
fed 2 apples a lighten green fruit, and 5 more berries roughly got gloom purple

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:31 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So, going down the berry path so far... There's so many browns!

Desert Yellow > Cork Brown > Ul Brown > Gobbiebag Brown > Aldgoat Brown

Each of those was with a single message of "growing new feathers" Each change is so minor, and it only takes 1-2 berries a piece. So I guess it's not a huge deal, but I just want to get to the blue shades already!

Makes sense, though, since yellow is a combo of Red and Green values, so as you add blue, you gotta wade through a sea of crappy brown colors and then ultimately some grays, then purple to blue.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:05 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So I'm 3/4ths done with my chocobos now. I got Cactuar Green for my green lala.

Using only Pears for a while, it went like this.

Desert Yellow > Honey Yellow (handful of pears) > Lime Green (a lot of pears) > Apple Green (a lot of pears)

From there, I fed it a good 6-8 berries, I forget exactly how much, but it took it from Apple Green > Cactuar Green.

I'm really struggling with my blue chocobo, though. Using nothing but berries, I've progress thusly:

Desert Yellow > Cork Brown > Ul Brown > Gobbiebag Brown > Aldgoat Brown > (got impatient and over fed by about 4 berries here) > A purple of some sort > Plum Purple > Gloom Purple

Gloom purple was a surprise. I'd have figured I'd hit the blue spectrum by now. I guess berries don't lower the red value as much as I had hoped. I ran out of berries, so I fed it a handful of pears to get the greenish tint that I think I'll ultimately need for Peacock Blue. I'll see what that color is after work, and then probably have to feed it some plums to lighten red.

We'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:49 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

my chocobo turned sky blue. i guess im done lol. looks great with the light warrior barding.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:44 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Any news on the black color chocobo?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:59 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Cruxis wrote:
Any news on the black color chocobo?

I've seen a couple people on the server with a black chocobo. so i guess it exist.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:03 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Gotta use the "darken" fruits. I'm not sure the exact ratio, but we could probably find some info on reddit, or the 14 forums.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:56 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I would like to keep my Choco the same.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:14 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

I found a flow chart omg!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:30 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, that chart is handy, but there are fluctuations.

For instance, with me on one of my four chocobos, without having fed it anything at all, I went: Desert Yellow > Cork Brown > Ul Brown > Aldgoat Brown > Gobbiebag Brown > Shale Brown, feeding only berries.

My guess is that either the chocobos start at some sort of randomized range of RGB within Desert Yellows "spectrum" or that feedings provide slight variations of how much they'll modify the colors.

Either way, it's good chart to follow for a general idea on how to get to a certain area, but you may have to tweak a bit to get the exact color.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion