It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:08 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: The Item Search Feature (12/21/2010)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm 
Square Enix
Square Enix

As mentioned in previous Topics, today's version update will see the introduction of the item search feature to FINAL FANTASY XIV. Given the high level of demand by players for this function, we will be continuing to enhance it in the future to improve its effectiveness and ease of use. This first release will grant players the ability to search all retainer bazaars in the market for specific items.

Read on for further details.

Post subject: The Item Search Feature (12/21/2010)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm 
Square Enix
Square Enix

The Item Search Feature

The item search allows players to scan all retainer bazaars within an entire market to discover how many of a designated item are currently being sold. The retainers returned in the search results will all be marked with a icon by their display name to easily distinguish them on-screen.

Using the Item Search

■Step 1
Item searches can be conducted at the entryway to any market or market area,* or by speaking to certain NPCs found just outside market entrances.
* Market areas are referred to as wards in Limsa Lominsa, rows in Ul'dah, and dens in Gridania.

■Step 2
Select the area that contains the item type being searched for.

■Step 3
Each market area is associated with certain item types.* Select the item type being searched for.
* See a complete list of market areas and associated item types.

Item Types
Item types can be viewed by accessing main menu » Inventory and selecting any individual item to display its details.

■Step 4
A list is displayed showing the names and number of items on sale that belong to the item type being searched in all retainer bazaars in that market.

* Searches will return only those items on sale in the market area associated with that item's type. Items being sold in areas not matching their item type will not be displayed in the search results.

■Step 5
Select the desired item from the list of search results.

■Step 6
All retainers selling the selected item will have an icon placed next to their display name, making them easy to find. In addition, they will appear on the minimap as red dots.

* Icons will not be displayed if the Name Display option under main menu » Configuration is turned off. * Item search histories will be saved until a player logs out of the game. Current item searches can be viewed or reset at the entryway to any market or market area, or by speaking to certain NPCs found just outside market entrances.

Market Areas and Associated Item Types

Name1 (Limsa Lominsa) Tax-reduced Item Types2
Tinkerers Ward Sundries, Beastcoins
Battlecraft Ward Gladiator's Arms, Pugilist's Arms, Marauder's Arms, Lancer's Arms, Archer's Arms, Shields, Arrows, Throwing Blades, Throwing Stones, Throwing Circles, Throwing Axes, Throwing Spears
Spellcraft Ward Conjurer's Arms, Two-Handed Conjurer's Arms, Thaumaturge's Arms, Two-Handed Thaumaturge's Arms
Fieldcraft Ward Carpenter's Primary Tools, Carpenter's Secondary Tools, Blacksmith's Primary Tools, Blacksmith's Secondary Tools, Armorer's Primary Tools, Armorer's Secondary, Tools, Goldsmith's Primary Tools, Goldsmith's Secondary Tools, Leatherworker's Primary Tools, Leatherworker's Secondary Tools, Weaver's Primary Tools, Weaver's Secondary Tools, Alchemist's Primary Tools, Alchemist's Secondary Tools, Culinarian's Primary Tools, Culinarian's Secondary Tools
Tradescraft Ward Miner's Primary Tools, Miner's Secondary Tools, Botanist's Primary Tools, Botanist's Secondary Tools, Fisher's Primary Tools, Fisher's Secondary Tools
Armorfitters Ward Helms, Full Plate, War Garb, Gauntlets, Greaves
Lower Tailors Ward3 Hats, Headwear, Masks, Undershirts, Attire, Hooded Attire, Undergarments, Pants, Gloves, Armbands, Shoes, Sandals, Belts, Sashes
Middle Tailors Ward4 Hats, Headwear, Masks, Undershirts, Attire, Hooded Attire, Undergarments, Pants, Gloves, Armbands, Shoes, Sandals, Belts, Sashes
Upper Tailors Ward5 Hats, Headwear, Masks, Undershirts, Attire, Hooded Attire, Undergarments, Pants, Gloves, Armbands, Shoes, Sandals, Belts, Sashes
Jewelers Ward Necklaces, Earrings, Bracelets, Rings, Crowns, Eyewear
Grocers Ward Meat Dishes, Egg Dishes, Grain Dishes, Vegetable Dishes, Mushroom Dishes, Sweets, Drinks, Seafood Dishes, Soups & Stews, Eggs, Dairy Products, Vegetables, Grains, Spices, Fruits, Mushrooms, Seasonings, Foodstuffs, Freshwater Fare, Saltwater Fare, Meats
Chirurgeons Ward Potions, Remedies, Ethers, Toxins, Panaceas, Reagents, Dyes, Paints, Oils
Ironmongers Ward Metals, Unrefined Metals, Metal Sheets, Metal Wires, Weapon Parts, Weapon Heads, Weapon Butts, Weapon Grips, Arrowheads, Shafts, Hooks, Chainmail Meshes, Armor Metals, Clasps
Woodcutters Ward Raw Wood, Lumber, Planks
Tanners Ward Hides, Leathers, Furs, Armor Hides, Armor Leathers, Footwear Parts, Bones, Teeth & Claws, Wings, Scutes & Scales
Masons Ward Ores, Stones, Gemstones
Clothiers Ward Fibers, Cloth, Hooded Attire Cloth, Cloth Bodies, Smallclothes Cloth, Cloth Sleeves, Front Cloth, Back Cloth, Armor Cloth, Feathers, Fletchings, Armor Parts
Crystaliers Ward Crystals
Menders Ward6 -
1 The names of the above locations vary slightly between nations. Known as wards in Limsa Lominsa, they are rows in Ul'dah, and dens in Gridania.
2 Selling an item in the market area associated with that item's type will reduce the tax levied to 2%.
3 This area specializes in gear with an optimal rank between 1 and 20.
4 This area specializes in gear with an optimal rank between 21 and 40.
5 This area specializes in gear with an optimal rank between 41 and above.
6 The Menders Ward exists solely for repairs, and is therefore associated with no specific item types.
Battle
The potency of the ability Impish Incantations, used by monsters of the imp genus, has been adjusted.
Addressed Bugs
The following bugs have been addressed.

An issue wherein the motion and graphics of area of effect attacks executed by enemies were not displayed when there were no valid targets within range has been addressed.
An issue wherein the graphics associated with the Smoulder ability used by the enemies Zanig'oh and the branded drakes on the faction leve "Operation: Bloody Scales" did not display properly has been addressed.
An issue wherein the following local levequests commissioning the synthesis of copper gorge hooks or pinches of natron could not be completed has been addressed.
Blacksmith
Camp Bald Knoll: Premiums Paid
Alchemist
Camp Skull Valley: Feeding the Trainees
Camp Bloodshore: Feeding the Trainees
Camp Bearded Rock: Feeding the Trainees
An issue wherein the following items could not be obtained from the NPC Rowena after the proper payment of Allagan runestones has been addressed.
Templar's Tassets
Harlequin's Belt
An issue wherein the correct amount of gil in a retainer's possession was not displayed after setting rewards for sought-after items and/or repairs has been addressed.
An issue wherein the correct status information was not displayed in the synthesis interface after receiving access to synthesis facilities from certain NPCs has been addressed.
An issue wherein an error would occur whenever a player would repair the most recently obtained piece of gear has been addressed.
An issue wherein atttempting to sell items to vendor NPCs would sometimes not allow players to accept or cancel the transaction has been addressed.
An issue wherein setting the audio sample rate in Windows Vista® or Windows 7® to over 48kHz would sometimes result in the inability to load the client has been addressed.

Post subject: Re: The Item Search Feature (12/21/2010)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:05 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

As i suspected, it will only find items if they're in the correct ward.

This makes the search feature semi-useless. If it's in the right ward you can already find it without too much trouble!

EDIT:

Quote:
An issue wherein atttempting to sell items to vendor NPCs would sometimes not allow players to accept or cancel the transaction has been addressed.

I'm glad this is fixed though, this was annoying, lol.

Quote:
An issue wherein setting the audio sample rate in Windows Vista® or Windows 7® to over 48kHz would sometimes result in the inability to load the client has been addressed.

Hi Kayne.

EDIT2: I've only just finished setting up the permissions on this board. If you can't reply here for some reason, let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:19 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Ket, this is a pretty hot feature (the auto-posting by SE on this announcement forum). Awesome job and very impressive.

Oh, and I figured they'd fix the audio today btw. Glad they did as there's no reason for games today to have issues with 24 bit 192 khz audio :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:21 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

What I'm most impressed about is that since it just dumps HTML into the database it all comes out formatted properly, even though you're normally not allowed to post HTML, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:34 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Woo hoo! We'll have to see how useful this search is. Maybe it's set up to try and encourage people to sell items in the correct wards. I'm hoping it ends up being helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:36 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

You'd think that's what the tax is for. It's unrealistic to expect a retainer to only ever have one kind of item for sale. Giving us more retainers is a start but the search feature really should let you find items regardless of what ward it's in.

That said, it sounds like SE are eager to improve the feature over the next few months and just wanted to get it to us ASAP. I mean, it's literally only been 6 days since the last update.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:32 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yay for more FFXIV and forum improvements. Great job with the forum upgrades! It keeps getting better.

That NPC/vendor problem drove me crazy. I'm glad that's fixed. I'm also happy to see imps get nerfed omg.

I wish the search feature worked for items that aren't in the correct ward. I understand they are trying to force people to sell things in the proper wards. Sometimes people sell weapons, crafting tools, lvl 25 belts, lvl 10 pants, horn glue, raptor sinew cord, and lvl 30 gloves at the same time. It's hard to pick the correct ward for that, even broken up over 2 retainers. I WANT AN AH!!11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:25 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:13 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

rofl, kio, that caught me totally of guard. I'm still laughing.

I'm glad this feature is finally being implemented. I wouldn't doubt that this is the last we'll see of improvements of the market ward, but I wonder what we might see next.

Quote:
What I'm most impressed about is that since it just dumps HTML into the database it all comes out formatted properly, even though you're normally not allowed to post HTML, lol.

That's kind of interesting. I wonder if it was intended. I guess it assumes we really trust whatever RSS feed is coming in. Hopefully SE never links to goatse.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:12 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

So apparently, once you activate searching the ward for an item, the mark above people's heads will show up regardless of which ward they're in. So if I choose to search for Lightning Shards in the Crystaliers Ward, and then wander into the Battlecraft Ward, people with Lightning Shards in the Battlecraft Ward will get the star icon above their heads.

So the system is capable of figuring out who has the items and which wards they're in, but only "searches" one ward right now. Problem is you can't activate the search unless at least 1 of that item was in the right ward at the time you did the search.

Question is, why? I have a feeling it's simply because they didn't make a decent interface for it yet. The "search counter" menu we have right now is extremely bare bones and a little screwy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:36 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, my guess was it's a case of, "Let's quickly throw some crap together to get it kind of functioning." There'll be lots of tweaks for it, later, I bet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:34 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

Ridere wrote:
Yah, my guess was it's a case of, "Let's quickly throw some crap together to get it kind of functioning." There'll be lots of tweaks for it, later, I bet

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Even the spacing on the window text is consistently off, it feels really unpolished. It does work, at least, which is great. Once they've worked out user-defined searches and some more tweaks it should be okay instead of having to do funky ward-specific searches.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements