It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: New Battle Effects Thread (04/06/2011)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

A new thread has been started in the Updates section of the official forums to discuss the topic of battle effects. The title of the thread is as follows:

[dev1037] Enhancement of Battle Effects

Proceed to the thread.

Post subject: Re: New Battle Effects Thread (04/06/2011)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

After seeing the example image posted, did anybody else even think this was even a problem?

There's been people complaining about "lackluster battle effects" -- but this was referring to weaponskills all looking basically the same. Looks like SE have taken it the wrong way (again?).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Yeah this isnt the right direction at all. Making the shitty special effects bigger isnt going to help. I always thought the effects were shit. Not because of how small they were, but by how lame they looked.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:12 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Isn't that a screenshot of Fire?

I feel like they need to do something about both just as equally. There's no point in having different kinds of attacks that don't do what they say they do. Like Onion Cut I think it's an upward slash, but you just spin like all the rest. Or Phalanx where you attack from behind your shield, except you just spin instead.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:03 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

They are giving you options! OPTIONS!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:26 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Every time I zoom in my camera the game becomes about 20% cooler.

Or at least this is what SE seems to think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

their "before" picture is a lie anyway, the effects were about 1/3 that size, not to mention they only lasted about 0.2 seconds

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:21 am 
DL Hughley

You'd think that after all the awesome spell and weapon skill effects in XI they'd have a ton of inspiration up their sleeves for cool stuff in stunning 2010 graphics. Apparently not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

DeadLegend wrote:
You'd think that after all the awesome spell and weapon skill effects in XI they'd have a ton of inspiration up their sleeves for cool stuff in stunning 2010 graphics. Apparently not.

It seems like the only thing they wanted to take from FFXI is the races so people could have their character in a new game. Too bad they didn't want to make that game worth playing.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:54 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

After seeing some of the spells and effects from ffxi something had to be done eventually....but there are so many more predominant issues:

Someone mentioned....

- Better Battle System
- Better Class System
- Balancing of attributes
- Moving the interface client side
- Changing food properties
- Removing the surplus system
- Rank level specific gear
- Better Core Mechanics
- Overall game balance from monsters to NPC placement and atmosphere.

I mentioned:

IMMEDIATE FIXES/PRESSING ISSUES

- They need to improve upon party search/flag/seek feature so that people actually use it (a /sea feature would be nice as well)

- Sorting of inventory should not be this difficult and should have been fixed months ago!

- How about fixing Linkshell features so we can clean them up with inactive people/troublemakers instead of requiring someone to stand in front of us.

- Up anima regeneration (nice to see return will eventually cost 0)

- Level adjustments to all the lvl 50+ mobs in crazy areas so that exploration and grinding is actually viable on more than a limited amount/types of mobs...it is unfortunate many of these Aetherial gates and nodes are rarely visited as there is little reason to even do so currently.

- Some kind of health/sp fix between last patch and coblyn sp nerf (in other words they don't have to make it easy, just not as hard because it seems now people are solely depending on behest and leve links except in certain lvls or mob types..i.e. raptors)

- Since we are on the subject of leve links....Up the sp buffer everywhere else instead of the world relying mainly on just Camp Broken Water R40's or other leves throughout Thanalan...maybe even raise buffer in a different city area on weekly basis (Limsa Guardian aspect bonus week or something)...or even different leves for other gates and nodes throughout a city's zones that have yet to be implemented. Otherwise by summer or PS3 release lag is going to be insane at some of these camps.

- Stop making craft marks so difficult when other marks are easily acquired / crafting should be no different.

FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

- Culinarians are getting screwed...and food should be more important than it now is. Hell make SP%+ food or something but give us a reason to actually use it!

- Market Wards is an interesting idea...but if you are going to use it we probably need a 3rd retainer...and a retainer with each expansion thereafter. Prefer an auction house with no sell history though.

- Implement features in the game (other than the now available quests) that make players want to venture outside of Thanalan more. Add content, not stupid BS quests like you have now...actual CONTENT!

- I would like a title system in place like FFXI had.

- More HNM or NM than what we have now (PUG/ARC/mages need some gear too) - make quest NM's as well, not just factions (up faction drop rate). Seems like only choice now is craft, behest, leve-link, or kill 1 of 3 NM. Game should be 90% fun rather than 90% chore.

- The raid/instance/company thing sounds like a good start but I will reserve comments for it until it is implemented and functioning

- Chocobo / Airship / Underground City train implementation (possibly even instance a few).

- Behest the boat that travels to Limsa (maybe lvl synch/cap 30 it for all participants) - more people would ride the boat or travel.

- A storyline and quests of other cities / even a quest and storyline for some of those unvisited empty towns no one visits (Golden Bazaar/Quarry Mill). Maybe a "Besieged" of each small town for better SP than behest so people can alternate between behest/besieged?

- Give people something other than just an 80% population in Thanalan waiting for leves to reset or behests

- I miss invisibility and sneak (as well as times to use them...)

- If you are going to implement tiers of Raises (take away timers on them, so people can't make up "it wore off excuse") / Truthfully , fix this anyway so it lasts like teleport offer.

- Won't comment on patch to death penalty until it is implemented

- Request some kind of "Battlegrounds" or arena for some kind of PVP (that offers marks for items or something)

- Armor is getting redundant and some of the stats on some of the armor makes little to no sense, stop that. If they are going to make an NM that drops materials for some decent gear or piece of equipment at least give it the "this is an NM that took time and effort to kill" stats.

- Game needs to find a way to appeal to not just hardcore, but casual players as well.

- Seeking for people in ffxi was a pain...now people are seeking the "Rule of 8" with leve links in order to lvl...this is a new pain already but is /uninstalling to any newcomer to the game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:20 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Nah battle effects is right up there. That'll make the game more fun (to look at)

Ponuh wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:31 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

keep on beating that dead horse right into the ground SE.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements