It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: Letter from the Producer, X (05/20/2011)
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

FINAL FANTASY XIV fans the world round, the tenth Letter from the Producer has arrived for your viewing pleasure!

Pore over the complete letter.

Post subject: Re: Letter from the Producer, X (05/20/2011)
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:57 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

There's a whole lot of new stuff in their list of things they're working on. Not gonna post it all, but here's a few highlights I remember without having to go read it all again.
  • Battle with Ifrit. (Not sure why Ifrit specifically and why only Ifrit.)
  • Dungeons, Rank 30 and Rank 50.
  • "Mounts" (Implies more than just chocobos, but what else could there be? Riding on anything but a Chocobo isn't very FF.)
  • Achievements and accompanying management window. (We all knew this would be coming since the Lodestone already shows the game is tracking them.)
  • All the new battle system tweaks mentioned the other day. Jobs, new stat allocation system, physical levels abolished, etc.
  • Companies, Materia, Auto Attack, etc. Various stuff we knew about.
  • Adding "frontier hubs" around the world; also beastmen settlements and an overall greater beastmen presence.
  • Possible removal of surplus. "Return" reducing to 0 anima cost.
  • New unique motions/animations/effects for weaponskills.
  • Lots of minor tweaks and stuff.

It's kind of sad when I see some (admittedly minor) things still on that list not done after 6 months, lol. Like additional chat tabs. Would it seriously take a developer more than an hour to add some more chat tabs? Hell, the game already supports 4 per window, but only lets you use 2. There was a screenshot before they released that patch where they had 4 per window.

Anyway, looking good, but I seriously worry that the problem here is speed. All these changes are great but they are seriously running out of time to get this stuff implemented if they want to keep people's interest. They should have had most of this stuff in by March really.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:06 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I do like the idea of materia. I dunno. I want this game to be good, but I have to admit I enjoy Terraria/Minecraft way more right now. lol

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:37 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Can some one paste all the info? the site is blocked for me at work.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:40 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ketrebu wrote:
Anyway, looking good, but I seriously worry that the problem here is speed. All these changes are great but they are seriously running out of time to get this stuff implemented if they want to keep people's interest. They should have had most of this stuff in by March really.

I agree. I mean I understand that they only have one chance to fix this and they dont want to mess up, but come on... Why dont they have a small dev team taking care of the small stuff?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:46 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

It would be a real bitch to copy and paste it for people at work. It's a HTML table that you can't just copy and paste without losing the formatting, and it includes all the stuff they've already done but grayed out. You'll lose that color coding when copied too and wont be able to tell whats new and whats done and stuff, it'll be a mess without spending an hour to reformat it.

Was hoping to go steal one from another forum somebody already formatted but everyone's being lazy and just posting links.

Here's the letter itself at least:

Quote:
Hello again, all fans of FINAL FANTASY XIV!

Today’s letter marks the tenth entry in the series, which is still going strong thanks to your support. As always, I’ll endeavor to keep the latest information flowing to you, so keep watching this space!

It’s been a while since I last updated our list of changes, so I figured it was due for a good clean up. Like last time, I’ve grayed out the items already implemented and noted what patch they were released in. New entries to the list are appropriately marked as -NEW-. The Battle System section was getting a bit large, so I made a separate category for enemy and field changes. This time around, the list contains additions planned for up until summer 2011. You see what I did there with the bold font for emphasis? But anywho, without further ado, feast your eyes on the list in its entirety! (Remember, these are our plans until summer 2011!)

** HUGE TABLE SNIP **

On the hot topic of battle, as our lead battle planner Akihiko Matsui posted on the forums the other day, major changes are in store heading into summer, such as the introduction of auto-attack. Now, to make Matsui stop his incessant poking (he’s still at it!), let me put it this way—the theme of the overhaul to the battle system is reward effort, reduce monotony. Let’s see if that holds off the pokes.

Think of the satisfaction you get when taking out an enemy solo by a stroke of brilliance. Or the supreme exhilaration you feel when pwning entire hoards of foes by playing out your party role to perfection. Now, in contrast, imagine a person who, with only half his heart in the battle, struggles to dispatch the enemy. This kind of range in experience is what we’re aiming for with the reformed battle system—a system that rewards effort and innovation. Revisions to the Armoury System and battle algorithms will be spearheading the changes, along with the introduction of the job system. We’re pressing forward with changes catering to both solo and party play, so you can rest assured whatever your playing style.

1.18 will see levequest balancing go into full swing, starting with revisions centered on rewards. As for crafting and gathering, we’re tweaking existing recipes and adding brand-new ones for crafter gear ahead of the summer. I’m pleased to say we’ve concluded our feasibility study for the Materia crafting system (though the name is still tentative), and will soon hammer out the details for the UI and start working on the data.

Now, there’s one new item on the list that fans of the FINAL FANTASY series wouldn’t have missed: the long-awaited battle with the primal Ifrit is on the way! But that’s hardly where it ends. We’ll be summoning forth more and more primals in the future, so keep an eye out for further announcements.

A number of plans made at the beginning of the year will soon be ripe for release. Among these are the shiny new job system (a proper system, mind you, not just renamed classes), an in-game achievement system related to Lodestone character histories, and new modes of transport to address the mobility issue. Once our current plans progress to the next stage, I believe it’ll be possible to unveil a longer-term update schedule. (We’ve been giving chocobos a lot of thought, but it’s hard to establish a timeframe before we define exactly what needs to be done.)

And that about does it for this letter. For next time, I’m planning to write all about our progress on auto-attack, and hope to be able to present the feature to you in fully animated glory rather than with dull screenshots. (Note to self: have Lodestone crew implement video embedding on the website.)

Thanks for reading! Catch you next time and/or on the forums!

Actually, give me a few minutes, maybe I can just SS it.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:06 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Here you go. This was a pain to piece together without easily definable areas like a picture would have.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:46 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Thanks ket!

that image is blocked for me too lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

aaaaa its info overload SE just fix some things lol

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:18 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Attached instead:

Attachments:
File comment: Lodestone Table
lodestonepost.png
lodestonepost.png [ 335.18 KiB | Viewed 2874 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:12 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

i feel like its just way too many promises and no delivery. has the game even really gotten more than 1 real patch aside from minor bug fixes in the last 6 months? all i remember is that patch that added the large amount of random nms. past that its been nothing but "we decided to double the size of every monster" and "we decided to nerf the only possibly endgame content there is and restrict ur pt size".

im kind of past hope to the point where i just find this laughable and every dollar SE loses for this bullshit puts a bigger smile on my face.

As sad as it is, i think i'll just go back to ffxi if i want to get my final fantasy online fix. Even with these changes i feel like were getting no where and that the end result will still be some sort of wierd frankenstein of them trying to force old shitty ideas to work instead of making a new great game.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:13 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

oh and also what the fuck at this producer continously telling us for months that he wants to remove surplus yet here we are 6 months after his hiring and its still there. it can't be that freaking difficult to delete haha.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:25 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

whats materia?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:53 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Yoshida wants to introduce what is tentatively named the materia crafting system. Wherein gatherers find materia or the components to it, and crafters can then augment weapons and armor above their base stats. So you can create a stength +1 materia and add that to a sword for an increase in damage, or a fire materia and add that to armor for added fire resistance. He claims it as something to drive the economy which makes a lot of people assume the augmentation is temporary.

Some other mmo's have done this, and Ive not heard much love regarding it. Mostly people upset at using up a rare materia on gear that suddenly become outdated. I think because its being named matera, and everyone has a hardon for ff7, that its gaining a lot of interest in the ff14 community. I'm apprehensive about whether people will actually use it or become aggitated by it when actually implemented. Course, in 11 when i was obsessed with stats, I would have bit on the chance to get any increase, and the fact that its customizable to your needs is nice.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:02 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If it's used like FF7, where you can unequip it from one item and put it on another, then I think that'd be really neat to stockpile a variety of different ones. If it's one-time use echantments/runes, like in WoW, then meh.

I'm going to really try hard to play some this week, because I feel bad that I haven't been. But it's pretty bad when I don't want to play an MMO, since I usually ocd pretty hard on 'em.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:25 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

as exciting as it seems to augment weapons, what difference does it really make when STR+ or ATK+ or INT+ are never noticeable? the only thing that will up your damage is RANK+. give me that modifier any day.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:34 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Recently read says that with the abolishing of physical levels, that stats are being reworked to actually have a noticeable effect

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

As said, that is being changed:

Akihiko Matsui wrote:
Algorithms

In light of changes planned for the Armoury System, the need to revise algorithms has arisen. At the same time, we will also carry out the changes below in order to streamline areas made overly complicated.

Abolishing the rounding formula based on standard rank values *1
Optimizing the value ranges for the influence of attributes *2

Many in-game elements are known to influence algorithms, and we are working on identifying them all regardless of the extent of their impact.

We believe that the above changes will allow players to more keenly feel and appreciate the myriad benefits offered by magic and equipment, which will lead to a new depth of enjoyment in attributes.

*1 The algorithm whereby values associated with rank are rounded up or down to be as close to the standard as possible.
*2 The system whereby enhancing statuses (whether obtained through attribute allotment, equipment, or magic) are influenced by incremental sets of values.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:34 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I am a tad confused. Are all Current Tasks from that chart coming in the June update? If so that's fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:25 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I cant remember where I read this (maybe I imagined it?) but I was under the impression that the entire list was supposed to be complete by the end of Summer 2011.

(NOTE: Summer doesn't end until mid-September.)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:46 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Fattino wrote:
i feel like its just way too many promises and no delivery. has the game even really gotten more than 1 real patch aside from minor bug fixes in the last 6 months? all i remember is that patch that added the large amount of random nms. past that its been nothing but "we decided to double the size of every monster" and "we decided to nerf the only possibly endgame content there is and restrict ur pt size".

im kind of past hope to the point where i just find this laughable and every dollar SE loses for this bullshit puts a bigger smile on my face.

As sad as it is, i think i'll just go back to ffxi if i want to get my final fantasy online fix. Even with these changes i feel like were getting no where and that the end result will still be some sort of wierd frankenstein of them trying to force old shitty ideas to work instead of making a new great game.

I thought you already quit. anyways I don't mind still having my account activated and playing everyonce in a while. its free after you buy the game currently kinda like guild wars. and the game has changed alot since it first came out not sure what you are talking about, sure it hasnt been an overhaul but if you played it in at the very beggining and now its a big difference. I'll stick around and see how stuff changes.

I guess i would be more angry if i had to pay 12.95 a month.

Another thing, if you are so tired of "old shitty ideas" why go play ffxi? why not play rift or some other newer game? I hope this game gets better and I do not wish for it to fail cause then I would feel that I wasted my money. althou I did put in a bit of time on this and i think I got my moneys worth.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:56 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Somebody's a bit defensive

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:41 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

oh my gosh, that is a lot of potential good news!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:34 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

i totally just realized kitty responded to me so had to drop by and make a post.

Rift is a pretty fun game. but i think in general the entire wow mechanic is just getting old to me. FFXI's combat system i always found pretty fun, i liked the balance of being able to talk while i played but still some skill to the combat.

Also, i did play FFXIV when it released so i've seen whats changed. There has definately been a ton of minor fixes to it, but that doesnt change the fact that we dropped 75 dollars on a game that 8 months later was still not hardly worthy of retail release. 8 months in and no endgame is laughable at best.

Yeah, id be even more bitter if the game was charging monthly, but i also wouldn't have given it a chance nearly as long. I also don't intend on terminating my account because as you said, its free so i can log in to check it out occasionally and see if they actually do anything.

8 months in, i still have a hard time calling ffxiv a game rather than an MMO grinding simulator.

Lastly, chill out. I insulted a video game, not your mother.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

there have been many occasions where i just wanna log in and dick around with someone like in ffxi, but you cant in ffxiv cause there is nothing in particular to do. craft, behest, and broken water leves are the only things to do right now in the game. even casual exp sessions dont work. i miss crawlers nest.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements