It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:02 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: Patch 1.17b Notes (05/23/2011)
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:00 pm 
Square Enix
Square Enix

Patch 1.17b has gone live, bringing with it improvements centered around the targeting system.

View all of the official particulars.

Post subject: Re: Patch 1.17b Notes (05/23/2011)
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:04 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Phew, they're gonna fix the targetting system. I don't know about you all, but the crappy targetting system was the main reason I've been bored with the game.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I think we should take bets on the next big "fix."

I say in the next patch they're going to adjust the size of the font when you boot up the game warning you about remembering family and friends from 12 point font to 11 point font.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:40 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ridere wrote:
Phew, they're gonna fix the targetting system. I don't know about you all, but the crappy targetting system was the main reason I've been bored with the game.

I'm told apparently the Japanese people make a big stink about the targetting system all the time. So SE keep pushing out these "new targetting system (that nobody is even gonna actually use)" patches.

If SE tweaked everything else in the game at the same speed they keep fiddling with the stupid target mode thing we'd be well on our way.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

What really annoys me about targeting is when you fight mobs like Gnats or the NM "Unnamed Soldier". When they dissappear you not only lose your target, but the action bar closes.

So If I have a gnat targeted, I'm flipping through the action bar to heal myself, the gnat dissappears and the action bar closes. I now have to quickly reopen it, hurry and find cure to heal myself, than I have to frantically retarget the fucker while it hits me with it's annoying lightning attack. After I have everything situated and retargetted, it dissappears again and I have to start over.

If they would allow the action bar to stay open when a mob teleports that would be nice. Or atleast allow you to remain locked on to the target.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Even better. Allow targeting macros to work like they did in FFXI.

When I played RDM for example, I would lock onto the mob to cast paralyze, slow, dia, etc as <t> - then I had macros for refresh and haste as <st> which cycled through party members only while keeping my target on the mob. Even better it cycled down the list according to where the party members HP/MP were displayed on the screen. It made it very easy to cycle down the list and keep the mages refreshed, keep melee haste, while the <t> target remained on the mob for debuffs and nukes. I also used <st> for all heals and buffs.

Sadly <st> doesn't work like that in FFXIV. If you are locked onto a mob and use a <st> cure it doesn’t work at all, because it tries to cast it on the mob as if it were <t>. I wish they would reconfigure the game to control exactly like FFXI does.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:38 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kluya wrote:
Sadly <st> doesn't work like that in FFXIV. If you are locked onto a mob and use a <st> cure it doesn’t work at all, because it tries to cast it on the mob as if it were <t>. I wish they would reconfigure the game to control exactly like FFXI does.

I have a Cure macro that uses <st>. Seems to work exactly the same way it did in FFXI. Hit macro > select target > hit enter > cast Cure on other person without losing lock on main target.

Not sure what's wrong with your macro, but <st> and <lastst> work fine.

What doesn't work are <stpc> and <stnpc> (the versions that only let you subtarget through players/monsters) because they're simply not in the game for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:46 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'd like them to do away with the repair system. I think most of my stress/guilt from this game is from me feeling bad about not trying to actively level up all of the crafting jobs I need to raise to repair my various gear (Basically everything but cooking - which is retarded in it's own right). lol. If the stupid repair system wasn't in this game, or the repair npc repaired to 100% with WoW-like degredation and prices, then I'd be okay.

The repair system is just too entwined. I understand what they were going for, but I just don't like it. If I want to take Weaving up, and be fully self-sufficient with repairs in the meantime (These items wear fast when grinding crafts), I need to level Goldsmithing, Blacksmithing, Mining, Carpentry, Botany, not to mention any crafts needed to sub/repair tools for those crafts.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:50 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ok cool I'll try it again tonight. I don't know why I was having trouble with it. When I am duoing with spyder, we usually just nuke the crap out of everything and heal.

It's hard to target him for a cure when he is standing behind me while I'm locked onto a mob. I have to pan the camera to locate him, and manually target him. I miss <st> for things like that because it would cycle through the players names on the right side of the screen and target them if they are within range (even if they are behind me). If it really works for you then I must have done something wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:18 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

i agree rid. The repair system in an attempt to give longevity of crafting has basically destroyed its relavance.

Demanding repair system = everyone feels they must level all available crafts to high level to upkeep their own gear.
By every player leveling all crafts to high level, no one ever needs a dedicated crafter. No reason to ever purchase crafted gear, seeking repair will become obsolete eventually. Unless you're just feeling lazy.

I really think npcs should have been readily available everywhere, and repaired things 100% for reasonable gil. It would have created a gil sink, and would have still given crafters the benefit of fixing stuff for free but not overmotivated people to level everything. More people focused on specializing, keeping the economy in check.

I still like the idea that if you were really gungho to level each craft, you can unlike 11. I think the rate of leveling is appropriate. But I feel that because everyone feels the need to level them all as a necessity, the dev team are going to make crafting too easy only further pushing the problem.

The whole, i gotta level all crafts, thing just is another complaint thrown on the pile that makes the game feel more like what I'm doing is a chore rather than an adventure. Not to mention trying to maintain an entire inventory of every repair mat for every peice of equip you use... ugh.
Knowing that your awesome new loot isnt awesome anymore because you actually played with it...
Unfrountely, like all the bad ideas, this one is here to stay in the game rather than have been axed like it should.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:24 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

the only reason i started leveling all of the crafting jobs is for repairs. otherwise i hate how boring crafting is. and i refuse to use external macros to level it up.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:13 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think I decided i'm just not going to do it. If keeping my crafts leveled up for the purpose of repairing my stuff is a goal of mine, then it'll basically take up all of my play time in game. I'm just going to hope they drastically reduce the rate at which stuff degrades, and then I'll just afk while seeking repairs, once a week and hope for the best.

I'm almost 30, and I don't want to play a game in a way that feels more like a chore. I'll stick with doing side quests, leveling mage jobs, and hopefully do other interesting things they add. I'm not going to worry about crafting anymore.

It's decided!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ridere wrote:
I think I decided i'm just not going to do it. If keeping my crafts leveled up for the purpose of repairing my stuff is a goal of mine, then it'll basically take up all of my play time in game. I'm just going to hope they drastically reduce the rate at which stuff degrades, and then I'll just afk while seeking repairs, once a week and hope for the best.

I'm almost 30, and I don't want to play a game in a way that feels more like a chore. I'll stick with doing side quests, leveling mage jobs, and hopefully do other interesting things they add. I'm not going to worry about crafting anymore.

It's decided!

I fully agree!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

they already did drastically reduce the rate at which stuff degrades. now instead of forcing you to repair an item twice a day, its more like once a month.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:39 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whisp wrote:
they already did drastically reduce the rate at which stuff degrades. now instead of forcing you to repair an item twice a day, its more like once a month.

That's because you took a month off, whisp! lol

I suppose I could go in and do some testing, though. haha. Either way, I've decided I won't be crafting in this game. As long as I can afford gear/repairs without having to craft, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:33 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kluya wrote:
What really annoys me about targeting is when you fight mobs like Gnats or the NM "Unnamed Soldier". When they dissappear you not only lose your target, but the action bar closes.

So If I have a gnat targeted, I'm flipping through the action bar to heal myself, the gnat dissappears and the action bar closes. I now have to quickly reopen it, hurry and find cure to heal myself, than I have to frantically retarget the fucker while it hits me with it's annoying lightning attack. After I have everything situated and retargetted, it dissappears again and I have to start over.

If they would allow the action bar to stay open when a mob teleports that would be nice. Or atleast allow you to remain locked on to the target.

I hate when that happens too. I wish they'd introduce a job ability menu again or at least keep the bar up when you're in active mode.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:22 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

you guys are realizing now what I realized the moment I started playing: crafting is boring and I refuse to do it just to repair my own crap, i'll get friends or pay ppl in uldah to do it for me lol. Madi has 0 in every craft except fishing and botany (20 and 10 respectively) and its gonna stay that way for life XD (unless they add a craft that I'm interested in which I highly doubt will happen). You'll find not being burdened with chores makes the game much more enjoyable Rid, even though its still a horrible game right now. Hell, I haven't even done a single quest yet because they haven't really told us what they are for. If they later unlock something, i'll do it when its announced or found out, but for now I am not wasting my time (not like I log in much regardless until they announce pvp or a pet class).

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i know what the quests are for. if you run back and forth for an hour and maybe 1-shot a few monsters, you can get a piece of gear with crappier stats than what you already have, and then you can sell it to the vendor for 2000 gil since no one is going to want to buy the same crappy item they already quested for, and then use that gil to buy nothing except maybe an apple juice which is supposed to help with crafting but it probably doesnt actually matter! pretty sweet!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Don't forget Parley Whisp! Some of those lovely quests force you to parley with no less than 3 different NPCs. It's a stupid minigame that basically just wastes time and feels like a chore.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:52 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

I wish they'd put in tetra master, I fucking loved that game in ff8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:20 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I love that we're all so bitter about the game, but we enjoy hanging out together enough to where we keep enduring the pain in hopes it eventually becomes less painful.

<3 you guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:44 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

E>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:04 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Yeah Ridere lol. I feel pretty confident the core players will be playing 100% once the content is there. Sadly I feel like SE knows this too.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements