It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: Battle Reform: Enmity (07/06/2011)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

Patch 1.18 is scheduled to usher in large-scale changes to enmity calculation, which will be accompanied by the introduction of a new UI element displaying enemy enmity.

Read up on all the particulars.

Post subject: Battle Reform: Enmity (07/06/2011)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

Patch 1.18 is scheduled to usher in large-scale changes to enmity calculation, which will be accompanied by the introduction of a new UI element displaying enemy enmity.
Changes to Enmity Calculation

Enmity is the element of the game that governs the target of an enemy’s hostility. Performing certain actions increases an enemy’s enmity towards you; the enemy will attempt to attack the player or NPC who has generated the highest amount of enmity. Skillful control of enmity forms the cornerstone of effective partying.

The current method of enmity calculation has been deemed excessively complicated, rendering the employment of battle strategies problematic. This was made worse by having no way of checking the constantly changing enmity values. Patch 1.18 will see the simplification of the enmity system to one based on accumulated actions. Furthermore, a new UI element will be introduced that allows players to see their foes’ enmity levels at all times, making enmity control a far more tangible affair.

Relationship Between Actions and Enmity

Actions that generate enmity can be divided into two main categories: direct and indirect. The former refers to actions that inflict damage or enfeebling status effects upon a foe, while the latter encompasses those that heal or fortify an ally. Different actions will increase enmity to varying extents, with the strength of the delivery (such as damage dealt or HP restored) also playing a part in the calculation. Enmity will be reset for players who are KO’d or otherwise incapacitated from battle for a certain period of time.

Making Enmity Visible

In order to allow enmity control to be readily incorporated into battle strategy, an icon will be implemented which displays an enemy's enmity. This icon will appear to the left of the enemy’s HP gauge, and through a color scheme will inform players of their foe’s enmity level and behavior.

No icon The enemy is not taking action against you.
Green, orange, or red icon The enemy is taking action against you. Enmity level is indicated from low to high in the order of green, orange, and red, indicating a progressively greater likelihood that the enemy will target you.
Blinking red icon You are incurring the highest level of enmity among targets engaging the enemy and are being targeted.

Improvements to the enmity system are scheduled to continue in patch 1.19 and beyond. Abilities that affect enmity will also be subject to adjustments.

Peruse the Battle Reform Blueprint.

Post subject: Re: Battle Reform: Enmity (07/06/2011)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:22 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I am sad that it's not a gauge. I was hoping for a really precise way of co-ordinating damage, healing, and tanking, with an organised group being able to work together to push themselves as close to the limit as possible. Instead we get a colored blip that might maybe give you an estimate of how much enmity you might maybe sort of have.

I could have worked that out myself after getting a feel for it through experience, just like before.

With this stupid "only see your own" blip, how is the tank supposed to know how far ahead in hate they are? All the tank will ever see is a "the enemy is currently attacking you" blinking red icon. I can already tell if the enemy is attacking me, thanks. What I want to know is if I'm in danger of losing hate, not if I already have it or not.

At the very least they should have put said icons next to the party member list so I can see who has how much hate. They want to promote group play and all they give us a very selfish "is it going to attack me or not" icon. It's very important information to know that someone else in your group (ie: your healer) has a high amount of hate, so you can back off from getting hit with aoe attacks, or employ more defensive moves so the healer doesn't need to cure you as much even if they have plenty MP. Instead all you can see is whether the monster might attack you. Ugh. Talk about missing the point.

Very unimpressed as a tank.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:33 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

ket you should write to them right now. maybe there's still time to correct it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:56 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

ket why don't go there and take over their jobs as you can make the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:00 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

we played fine in xi without ever an icon, you just get a feel for it, who cares if were not being given a level of exactly how much hate we have. this game spoonfeeds us everything as it is anyway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:10 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Yeah, I said, eventually you just get a feel for it. But that's kind of the main issue, it's not a whole lot better than what we have now, so why bother.

My point is more that they're wasting their time (and ours) if they're not going to do it properly. Considering we've been waiting almost 3 months (in about a week) for this patch, having them tout such minor and/or unneeded things as the huge features we were supposedly waiting all this time for is bleh.

I've been hoping for huge sweeping UI changes since launch, and the original team said they were going to make a second PC/mouse driven UI as an option, but instead they just keep bolting stuff on to this one. It reminds me of FFXI where every new system they ever added to the game was just a bunch of NPC dialog menus, because they didn't want to make any new UI elements for anything at all. Everything from campaign to limbus to chocobo raising was just a bunch of re-used NPC dialog menus, lol. So I'm just cranky to see FFXIV stick with its attrocious AI instead of trying to revamp parts of it like the party status.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:20 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

and to top it all off, SWTOR doesn't have any pet classes (not that I was expecting it to haha, companions are good enough I suppose)

RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ridere Edit: Madi, you should know better! lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:21 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Rotfl Rid haha <3

But I thought having the borders extended indefinitely like that would bring more oomph to my post!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:10 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I'm really disappointed that this isn't a bar gauge. However, after a few minutes contemplation, I think the reason why it isn't is because they don't want people to work out the exact amount of enmity gain or shed each action in the game acquires. The little icon serves the purpose of saying yes you have accumulative enmity up to a certain milestone without giving away the math behind it.

I'm not happy with the fact that any UI in this game will flash. It's not really necessary. If you actually care about the enmity icons, you would monitor it yourself. I feel badly for the tanks in the game which will have this constant annoyance. For everyone else, I don't think adding something distracting to the UI will be well received when it occurs as you're desperately struggling to keep your character standing.

But really, the gauge is self viewable only? Doesn't that degrade the entire purpose of it? I was under the impression that it was intended as a crowd control tool amongst a party. The value of the colored icons can't be weighed unless you have something to compare it to.

As a melee are you supposed to just halt contribution to the party because you hit orange, when you don't realize that everyone else is flashing red and you're perfectly able to continue? I just don't understand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:21 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Does anybody actually play this game anymore? I wouldn't be surprised if there was 10 people online max per server.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:20 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Kluya wrote:
Does anybody actually play this game anymore? I wouldn't be surprised if there was 10 people online max per server.

uld is still packed, but i have the feeling mostly with bots lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:38 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

I havn't played in weeks, summer school is taking a lot of my time. I really have no desire to play, or any game really

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements