It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: The Grand Companies Are Coming! (07/15/2011)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:30 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

It is our pleasure to announce that the proud banners of the Grand Companies of Eorzea will fly come patch 1.18! We would like to take this opportunity to brief adventurers ahead of time regarding the enlistment process and other pertinent particulars.

Read on to learn how you can do your part in Eorzea’s survival.

Post subject: The Grand Companies Are Coming! (07/15/2011)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:30 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

It is our pleasure to announce that the proud banners of the Grand Companies of Eorzea will fly come patch 1.18! We would like to take this opportunity to brief adventurers ahead of time regarding the enlistment process and other pertinent particulars.
The Grand Companies of Eorzea

The Grand Companies of Eorzea are a military alliance of nations united in common cause to avert imminent catastrophe from engulfing the realm. There exist three Grand Companies: the Maelstrom, which sails out of Limsa Lominsa; the Order of the Twin Adder, which makes its nest in the Twelveswood; and the Immortal Flames, which burns in the heart of Ul'dah. Adventurers may freely choose the organization to which they would swear allegiance, regardless of nation of origin.

Company Name City-state Headquarters
The Maelstrom Limsa Lominsa Maelstrom Command
The Order of the Twin Adder Gridania Adders' Nest
The Immortal Flames Ul'dah Hall of Flames

Enlistment Process

To enlist with a Grand Company, first make your way to its headquarters, which can be accessed from the host city-state's market wards entrance. Once inside, speak with the recruitment officer and you will be asked to undertake a mission,* the completion of which will earn you induction into the organization as a recruit.
* Available only to adventurers rank 22 or above.

As recruits are not yet bound to an organization, adventurers are encouraged to use this opportunity to discover firsthand with which company's ethos they most closely identify.

Missions and Rewards

As a recruit, you will be asked to undertake a selection of missions, the completion of which will earn you rich rewards. The nature of the reward will vary based on mission difficulty and your contribution to the organization. Prove your worth by unfailingly completing the tasks assigned, and you will climb the ranks and gain access to all the benefits associated with higher standing.

Missions for recruits will be available in patch 1.18, with those for higher ranks scheduled to be added in 1.19 and beyond.

Grand Company Seals

Completing a mission will earn you an amount in Grand Company Seals commensurate with the difficulty of your assigned task. Each organization issues its own unique type of seal (see below), which serves as a currency of sorts and can be used to redeem myriad useful items.

• The Maelstrom: Storm Seals
  • The Order of the Twin Adder: Serpent Seals
  • The Immortal Flames: Flame Seals

* Grand Company Seals are honored only by the organization of issuance.

Adventurers may check the amount of seals in their possession by selecting Attributes in the main menu, and then clicking the Grand Companies tab.

Post subject: Re: The Grand Companies Are Coming! (07/15/2011)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:48 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i wish there were more details. this is somewhat interesting, but still so vague.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:06 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Is anybody planning on picking anything other than Ul'dah?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:12 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

lets move back to limsa. i dont think we really need uldah anymore do we? soooo sick of that place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:43 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

we could own grid since nobody will be there :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:03 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Well unless they unify the market wards (or open Ishgard) the economy is only ever going to be in Uldah. Everyone is kind of forced to be there whether they want to or not right now. They actually did this in FFXI recently as far as I know, all Auction Houses are now the Jeuno Auction House, even in the three original cities. Maybe they'll do it here eventually.

I kind of prefer Limsa as a town, and definately prefer La Noscea as a zone over Thanalan and Grid's crappy maze forest. However, out of the three companies, I only thought Uldah's was cool.

It also seems the Companies might tie into the dungeon raids. Considering they already have an exactly 8 person party limit (not 9 people, not 7, must have *exactly* 8 to enter) I wouldn't be surprised if they do something stupid like making it so you have to do it with people with the same company allegiance.

We really need more information on all this, like what rewards are available for points, it may matter. In fact, this entire post was kind of devoid of information. You could basically summise it as "lol conquest points".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:45 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Its devoid of info most likely because not much is coming in 1.18 with regards to companies. Just laying the ground work really; and as for the problem of people not wanting to leave uldah, I am assuming this problem won't exist with the airships that are coming in 1.19. They do not currently in 1.18 allow us to 'align ourselves join' a specific company, only join as a recruit (which doesn't bind you to one single company), and they won't expand upon this until 1.19.

"As recruits are not yet bound to an organization, adventurers are encouraged to use this opportunity to discover firsthand with which company's ethos they most closely identify." IE play around with companies in 1.18 as a recruit until SE add the higher up missions in 1.19 that bind to the specified company you chose.

My point is, when we actually have to CHOOSE our faction (lol company I mean, I'm already subconsciously labeling companies as factions), airships between the 3 cities should (hopefully) be in place. So you could theoretically choose to be in whatever company you wanted to be while still having access to the economy of uldah.

Just my assumptions for now, given the info I have seen. I'm choosing the Immortal Flames FYI, the leader seems to gel most with my urge to rage slaughter things (especially things named Krellis in future PVP).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:40 am 
Spammer, to the max!

I always felt like these were going to be like Rank missions for the cities in ffxi...however...I'd wait to almost see what rewards are offered (job priority) versus going all in for Uldah like I am sure a lot of people will do once these are implemented.

Awaiting more info....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:37 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Im not going Uldah. I dont care if it hurts my game. I F'ing hate that place.

LL IS A SIGHT FOR ME SORE EYES!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:58 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I can't stand Uldah, it's always been my least favorite city. I hate the fact I have hang out in Uldah to do anything. LL fo life baby! I prefer LL as a town and the surrounding area is also my favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:59 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

i prefer limsa as a zone and city over the other two options in the game. Not to mention its the only one with half way decent music scores.

However, i'm just totally not into the whole pirate thing. Pirates in general completely disinterest me. So despite it being my starter city none of the lore or quests inspire me.

Uldah I dont care for as a city but the leader of the company seems interesting. And, unless the wards are made all linked(which wont happen), I dont see many people moving out due to it being the center of the economy and player base.

Gridania? Pbbbfff.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements