It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: Introducing Settlements (07/19/2011)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

Patch 1.18 will see multiple settlements erected at various locales across Eorzea.

Care to learn more about these hubs of adventure? Then read on.

Post subject: Introducing Settlements (07/19/2011)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

Settlements take on various shapes and forms, and are intended to serve as landmarks and bases of operations for adventurers. Future patches will usher in more features to enhance their practicality, with each location set to become the backdrop for an assortment of new quests.

The Black Shroud
Buscarron's Fold

A solitary shack situated at a glade along the Lumberline and serving as a watch house, the care of which has been passed down through the Buscarron line for generations. To this day, members of the family keep vigil over the road’s security, all the while maintaining a life of self-sufficiency.

The Hawthorne Hut

A trappers' hut named for the legendary Hawthorne, scourge of the mountains. Now residing there is his descendant Rolfe, a retired adventurer of some repute, who is joined by his loving wife and daughter. Together they welcome all travelers with open arms and heartfelt hospitality.

La Noscea
Halfstone

A young colony established on the Vylbrand frontier, named for the rocky stuff that pervades its soil. Owing to the backbreaking efforts of resourceful settlers, what little arable land that exists was made to yield a modest crop of fruits and yams alongside lavender and other rugged native species.

Red Rooster Stead

Established by a botanist as an experimental farm, the homestead hosts myriad agricultural undertakings such as the selective breeding of livestock and the research of foreign produce. Its proximity to kobold territory has given the residents no recourse but to turn to pirates for protection.

Thanalan
Mythril Pit T-8

The site of a mythril prospecting operation under the management of Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern. Miners and guardsmen alike have taken up residence in the lone habitable structure there, an abandoned inn that had not seen use since hostilities erupted with the Amalj’aa.

The Coffer & Coffin

An inn frequented by trade caravans, its name derived from a folk song which tells of an optimistic man bound for Ul’dah. The traveler drags along a stout chest, which will become either a coffer to hold his winnings from the gambling dens, or a coffin to bear his own lifeless corpse home.

In addition to the above, beast tribe settlements will also be implemented in patch 1.18. And by way of a sneak preview, imposing strongholds and larger settlements of the beastman persuasion are slated to appear in 1.19—a development that could only bode ill for the peace and prosperity of Eorzea.

Post subject: Re: Introducing Settlements (07/19/2011)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:25 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

These are cool and all, but I think they should be a little more fleshed out. Most of them look like just a single shack, some fence, and a few crops.

Why not make them into little towns, put like 4-5 houses there and a few ameneties like crafting and shops. This is the sort of thing WoW had and it was a great alternative to stopping at a city.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:54 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I sure hope these shacks are just props and have no interaction whatsoever. I really liked all the fake towns like Golden Bazaar that have nothing to offer. Hopefully these have nothing to offer also.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:43 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

lol Whisp you have become so bitter <3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:57 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Madisonli wrote:
lol Whisp you have become so bitter <3

love the new sig madi. :o

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:08 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I really like the idea of these, but I do hope it doesn't cause them to abandon the mini-towns they already have. Having both, and having uses for them both, is the key.

That was one of the neat things in WoW, was that you'd be exploring, and come across a tiny camp with a few npcs, a few quests and such. And as long as you have enough of them around that do serve a purpose, putting others in that simply serve to add flavor to the landscape, and provide some local lore, is completely fine by me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:37 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Even if these are nice though they are just for questing/lvlup purposes probably right? Unfortunately the only thing I see in this patch that is adding endgame content is the one lvl 50 dungeon; I'd bet that whether or not people stick with XIV until the subsequent big patches depends on how good that one dungeon is, because that is all we'll have to do. That, and lvl up :/ booring lol. There are sketches in the making of eorzea movie of a giant amazing dragon, and I am praying that this said dragon is the final hardest boss in the dungeon and that he's really hard and drop cool loot. However if the final hardest boss is that reused model of the ogre that roams around near horizon and the gear from him isn't cool, I foresee people doing the dungeons a few times and quitting again lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I dont understand why they are adding this when the mini cities are currently a waste of time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:47 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whisp wrote:
I sure hope these shacks are just props and have no interaction whatsoever. I really liked all the fake towns like Golden Bazaar that have nothing to offer. Hopefully these have nothing to offer also.

lol love it

Madisonli wrote:
Even if these are nice though they are just for questing/lvlup purposes probably right? Unfortunately the only thing I see in this patch that is adding endgame content is the one lvl 50 dungeon; I'd bet that whether or not people stick with XIV until the subsequent big patches depends on how good that one dungeon is, because that is all we'll have to do. That, and lvl up :/ booring lol. There are sketches in the making of eorzea movie of a giant amazing dragon, and I am praying that this said dragon is the final hardest boss in the dungeon and that he's really hard and drop cool loot. However if the final hardest boss is that reused model of the ogre that roams around near horizon and the gear from him isn't cool, I foresee people doing the dungeons a few times and quitting again lol

My thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:49 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

well hopefully its the start of more interesting zones and more "prop" stuff to flavor up the place. Goodness knows that ff14 has plenty of real estate to drop stuff like these hubs even if its only use is just to break up the copy pasta.

one of the things that i really liked about WoW was that there were little points of interest all over. A real farm with quests and appropriate mobs and some stuff, but not overwhelming amount, to do around it. The rest of the time it just served as eyecandy. A little ways down the road you might find a haunted house, and a bit further out a few buildings occupied by a gang of thieves.

And although I don't think WoW did a great job at tying together stories (not that there weren't any but mostly just wall o' text that I was too ADD to read) I felt like yes this is a world which the npcs, other players, and my character all live and breathe in. Unlike FF11 which had great story theatrics, but the world felt oddly unoccupied and undeveloped. It always felt strange that you're a country bumpkin moving from a small village into the big city in 11, yet there exists no small villages. Anywhere. So where did you really come from?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:13 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Just wanted to say that now that I'm home and can see the pictures, I'm saddened by the fact that the places are identical looking in the same zone... lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:56 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

youre right, i didnt even notice that. nice, i'm glad they are cutting corners with stuff that doesnt matter like fleshing out the world environment, so that way they can spend time on more important things like tweaking rewards for levequests.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:11 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I miss whisp so much.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements