It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: Letter from the Producer, XVI (08/15/2011)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:30 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

FINAL FANTASY XIV fans the world round, the sixteenth Letter from the Producer has arrived for your viewing pleasure!

Pore over the complete letter.

Post subject: Re: Letter from the Producer, XVI (08/15/2011)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:56 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Why hello there.

EDIT: Actually this letter is kind of epic, it lists everything that's going to be in path 1.19 (the "end of summer" patch) and I might summarise it into bullet points for the people at work in a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:50 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

This is going to be the motherlode of patches. The make it or break it patch. The 1 year anniversary patch. The "how the game should of released" patch. This is the one that either wins everyone back or spirals the game into oblivion. It all ends here. Maybe that's a bit dramatic, but yeah, this is the big one.

A "quick" summary I quickly typed up scrolling down for the people at work or too lazy to click the link:

Patch 1.19. "End of September":
  • Chocobos added. Rentable chocobos AND company-issued personal callable chocobos. Tongue-in-cheek called the "My Little Chocobo" system for now.
  • Airships added. Links the cities together, pay gil and hop aboard.
  • Ifrit battle. R30 and R50 versions.
  • Beastman stronghold raids. Not entirely sure what this is.
  • Low level "public" dungeon for low level players. Again, not entirely sure what this is.
  • Treasure chests found randomly in the field outside of quests/leves.
  • Uncollected guildleves can be stacked as tickets and done all in one go. Allows players to save them up and do lots of them all in one go at the weekend.
  • Damage algorithm revamped. No more rank vs rank nonsense. Gear will finally matter!
  • Physical levels abolished. Rank renamed to Level, skill to EXP.
  • Stat progression is now static and linked to your class and level, like it worked in FFXI (and every other MMO). In Patch 1.20 the ability to customize those stats will be re-introduced and you'll be able to customize your stats *per class*.
  • New claiming and linking system.
  • Enemies will "call for backup" if you're stronger than the enemy you're fighting. You'll also gain experience bonuses for fighting links.
  • The new claiming and linking system will break battle regimens. And rather than delay the patch, battle regimens will be disabled. Battle regimens will then be fixed/overhauled and reintroduced in patch 1.20.
  • Experience Chains.
  • Crafting recipes will be simplified. Old recipes will still work for a while and then eventually be scrapped. While this isn't mentioned, it sounds like they intend to get rid of the "make sleeves, then make a front, then make a back, and then finally make an item" stuff.
  • Materia System. For people who don't know what this is, this is basically enchanting weapons and armor. Equipment you use accumilates points and when they hit max can be converted into Materia that can then be added onto a different weapon. eg: Convert your sword into a STR+5 and then attach it onto a new sword.
  • Gathering classes getting sneak/invisible/stealth type abilities.
  • Lots of various UI stuff. Too much to mention but it's mostly new to accompany all the new stuff.

Patch 1.20 will be the big class/job balance patch that moves all the abilities around and stuff. Apparently their balance intentions will be posted around the time of Patch 1.19, which will give players time to give feedback on the changes (ie: cry about it) before they are actually implemented for 1.20.

EDIT: Added a few missed important things like the stat progression. The producer letter is definately worth a read if you can open it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:06 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Wow, thanks for posting that Ket. That all looks great!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:50 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Badass!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:45 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Sounds like a great patch! sadly i dont know if i will play. I dont mean play this game but play any MMO, I've gotten to the point where I just don't have time to play. I will not give up thou, I'll try to log on!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:09 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Patch sounds really good. I may try to log in a bit more in prep for it. Maybe work on a craft again, or something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:39 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I don't know if it's enough to get me to play either. I tried playing over the weekend (to check the swimsuit event) and just couldn't get into it.

Also my character looks gay as hell even worse with a swimsuit. I wish I could change to a taru or something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:12 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I've been wanting to play an RPG of some sort lately, but just haven't been feeling the whole FF14 thing. This patch looks solid. I think the next two patches will really bring the game to a decent state.

I have my two mage jobs leveled, though, and I told myself going into this game that I was going to be good and really only focus on mage jobs, so I don't try to bite off too much work for myself. I may still completely bag on the crafting idea. Repairing my own stuff seemed like a neat idea, but if repairs end up working kinda like WoW in terms of price-to-"gearscore" ratio, then I may just NPC repair and call it good.

I'm more interested in doing things like chocobo raising, and some of the more carebear stuff. I really don't want to grind up crafts, or every DoW job, or anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:44 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

ABOUT TIME! and what took them so damn long to get this going or right?

Now that will make me wanna play again after I upgrade my MB,CPU,and RAMS. My Motherboard died on me and I am running on my lappy.

Edit: I am thinking about getting sandybridge i7 2600k with MSI Z68 with DDR 3 1600 (2x2gb)4gb, I already have MSI 470 1250gb and may get SSD with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:32 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

So you're about ready to go, Panther? ^^

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:08 am 

Kotee wrote:
So you're about ready to go, Panther? ^^

well not yet until I fix my damn desktop that died on me due to the motherF***ing board.

Then I'll be ready!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:44 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

by the time i come play this again it will be a whole new game. that's a good thing. looking forward to it. thanks ket.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I don't think I've seen you online ever Panther haha.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:41 pm 

Kluya wrote:
I don't think I've seen you online ever Panther haha.

No I had not been on for a longtime now and top of that my desktop died on me when Terraria 1.0.6 update came out and I only played it for 10 min with ket.

As for my lappy it is not playable on FFXIV but my FFXI is cause I did played it for longtime from 2004 after my twins were born.

I am just waitting for my 3.4k of Vacation check to come in this week or next then I have to take it to bank.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:32 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Nice list of goodies there. Go CKD Beastmen Stronghold raids!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:11 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Shuichi wrote:
Nice list of goodies there. Go CKD Beastmen Stronghold raids!

that would actually be kinda cool I did not get to do that in ffxi so I would really like to do this. now what concerns me is being restricted to only 8 ppl per party.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements